Powermaster motor leaking?

Brian Mc

Tree Fiddy
The thing just started leaking like hell, the motor is soaking wet, but I still have brakes if I keep it full. I have since stopped driving the car, and it doesn't have any of the usual powermaster problems I see talked about here (unless a leaky motor is one of them)

So Do I just need a motor? I found this in another link "turbocars@yahoo.com" $160 But he hasn't updated his site in a while. Anyone bought one recently here?

electric motors don't leak. So you really need to determine exactly where the leak is. It may be easilly fixable. BTW, don't drive it until the problem is fixed. Goes without saying.

If you fill the master cylinder to the top, as soon as you use the brakes it'll blow fluid back out all over the motor.

If you fill the master cylinder to the top, as soon as you use the brakes it'll blow fluid back out all over the motor.

Good point. The reservoir has two sides. The drivers side can be nearly full, but the passenger half should never be more than half full.

Nope, I've done the correct master cylinder fill, it's not that. It doesn't come from the master and run down, it's from the motor area. Firewall stays dry. I'll check It again, but it's just wet on the motor and it drips off the metal motor housing onto the control arm and frame when it runs.

TurboDave, How can this motor NOT leak ("electric motors dont leak")? It has 2 fluid lines, one in and one out. I know that electric motors don't leak, But this one certainly could if it has a fluid pump as part of it. I just need some clarification.

Nope, I've done the correct master cylinder fill, it's not that. It doesn't come from the master and run down, it's from the motor area. Firewall stays dry. I'll check It again, but it's just wet on the motor and it drips off the metal motor housing onto the control arm and frame when it runs.

TurboDave, How can this motor NOT leak ("electric motors dont leak")? It has 2 fluid lines, one in and one out. I know that electric motors don't leak, But this one certainly could if it has a fluid pump as part of it. I just need some clarification.

Just a matter of symantics. Motors don't leak, but attached pumps and fittings will. I was trying to get you to look elsewhere to find the actual leak. replacing the motor wasn't going to fix the leak. repairing the pump or fittings attached to it might.

Just a matter of symantics. Motors don't leak, but attached pumps and fittings will. I was trying to get you to look elsewhere to find the actual leak. replacing the motor wasn't going to fix the leak. repairing the pump or fittings attached to it might.

Gotcha. It's all one unit so I was calling it a motor. So the pump side is leaking into the motor windings likely, and will kill the motor. Is it a pump/motor assembly sealed and not serviceable? I'll rebuild the pos if it can be.

If the system still has the old style pressure switch, the leak can be the switch. Being it's on the top, the fluid will run down onto the motor.
AIRC, there is/was a recall by GM to replace those switches. If you buy one, it's expensive.

Had the same problem recently. Mine was leaking pretty badly so I got a rebuilt powermaster motor from ebay, fixed the leak but kept hearing noise.
Someone told me I had to change the accumulator ball as well. Will keep you posted, might be having the same problems.

By the way, if you want you can email the guy I bought it from to see if he has any more. The part cost me $150 + $50 core charge.

His name is mike and his ebay username is: gnpowermasters