Powermaster motor clicking

BoostedGMC

I have an 87 GN with 37k miles and the original brake setup.

When I apply the brakes, i hear a clicking sound from the firewall and the brake light turns on and off. I had someone hold the brakes while I checked it out under the hood. I can feel the clicking coming from the powermaster motor. Is there any chance that the switch or ball is causing this type of problem. The brakes when driving are very soft or rock hard then the pedal goes soft.

I want to keep the car original but if a hydroboost setup is a much better way to go that the powermaster, i may consider switching over.

Change over now and box up the power disaster. Its 100% reversible and you will not be disappointed and you will save about $1000 bux before its all over.

When I apply the brakes, i hear a clicking sound from the firewall and the brake light turns on and off. I had someone hold the brakes while I checked it out under the hood. I can feel the clicking coming from the powermaster motor. Is there any chance that the switch or ball is causing this type of problem. The brakes when driving are very soft or rock hard then the pedal goes soft.

I want to keep the car original but if a hydroboost setup is a much better way to go that the powermaster, i may consider switching over.
It doesn't need to be hydroboost. Vacuum brakes are fine. Do a search. Most others have converted by now.

Some 84-85 TRs came with hydroboost from the factory. It's fairly easy and inexpensive to swap over (about $250). I can hold 8-9psi now on the foot brake, and I haven't touched the OEM rear brakes yet.

There's a thread that gives step by step instructions and part #s if you search for it.

I've been looking at the different posts about using the 84 parts and from what I have read, it seems like that will all bolt up without cutting or hacking up the car. I like that route but I don't like that I need to use the big ugly metal master cylinder. Maybe I'm missing something but I would like to use the Cardone hydroboost from an 84, use whatever lines I need from the power steering box, then to be able to use the master cylinder with the plastic reservoir.

I haven't fully checked out hydratech about their setup but if anyone has used one or knows how to do what I am trying to do, please reply.

The 84-85 is definitely not my favorite MC. I don't like the way the cap is held on with the removable clips.

I called hydratech and they said they have all brand new parts that will bolt right in and I will be able to use the master with the plastic reservoir.

Has anyone had and issues with these?

The 84-85 is definitely not my favorite MC. I don't like the way the cap is held on with the removable clips.
You don't have to use the iron MC from 85. The 1981 Cadillac Eldorado MC works and it looks pretty good. Cardone Part No. 101740. Paint the iron black and it will look good.
5161d49991f4c9c739542ab70f909461__ra_p.jpg

I just did the vacuum swap on my wife's GN yesterday. No cutting, nothing but bolt-up. Run a TTA vacuum block off the top of the intake plenum for vacuum (just like the TTAs setup) and over to the booster. It's a proven system and virtually fail safe, no more electric motors, no more goofy accumulator bowls...nadda. It appears stock, works flawlessly and is 100% reversible if you want to return the car to stock. However, a vacuum system is MUCH safer than the Power-Junk Buick installed which can fail on you at ANY moment and will not detract from the value of your car. I submit it'll actually increase the value if you own a car above 10,000 miles just because of the extra safety factor. JMHO.....

I ended up going with a hydratech system. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it's a brand new system and hopefully it will not give me problems when installing it.