powermaster - just wondering

channer

just pulled my Limited out of storage this weekend... and doing a little spring cleaning and noticed my PM brake fluid level.

On startup or after an hour or two... the brake fluid level on the motor side is full. As soon as I start the car, the brake fluid almost empties out. As soon as I shut the car off, the brake fluid returns slowly.

Can't remember... is this normal? Where did all the fluid disappear to?

dave

It gets pulled into the accumulator ball. Check the fluid with the car off after pumping the pedal. It's printed on the resevoir cap.

Is that normal? I thought the Accumulator was filled with "gas/nitrogen"!!

Anyways... I pumped the brakes 10 times with the key off. The brake fluid level remained the same... at the full level.

As soon as I turned on the car... the fluid level went right down, with the brake light on. It took a little while before the brake light went out. I turned off the car and the fluid slowly returned.

is this normal??? Could the accumulator ball be shot!!!

dave

It is normal for the fluid level to go down when the pump primes itself at startup. However, if the light stayed on more than 1 or 2 seconds after power-on, your Powermaster is leaking internally, and probably externally down the firewall too.

Remove it and put it in a box on the shelf. Convert to vacuum, manual, or Hydroboost and don't look back.

It is normal for the fluid level to go down when the pump primes itself at startup. However, if the light stayed on more than 1 or 2 seconds after power-on, your Powermaster is leaking internally, and probably externally down the firewall too.

Remove it and put it in a box on the shelf. Convert to vacuum, manual, or Hydroboost and don't look back.

I have a low mileage PM and an Astrovan Hydroboost system sitting in the garage... still debating which to put in. I also hate the bleeding brakes!!!

dave

I havn't seen any threads on the manual option, what's available out there. Looking to go hydroboost as it is. I have the dreaded blown fuse, light on.

I havn't seen any threads on the manual option, what's available out there. Looking to go hydroboost as it is. I have the dreaded blown fuse, light on.

Manual is always an option. It's just a question of finding the proper size master cylinder and getting the pedal ratio right.

Find out what your car weighs and call Wilwood. They'll tell you the proper size manual master to get and help you measure and drill the right spot on the pedal for the clevis.

I have a low mileage PM and an Astrovan Hydroboost system sitting in the garage... still debating which to put in. I also hate the bleeding brakes!!!

dave

Try Russell Speed Bleeders, or if you want to spend a little money:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y195Pti7aFo[/YOUTUBE]