Powerlogger - Logfile - Injector upgrade time?

Grimster

Grumpy Redneck
My injector duty cycle pegs out and knock retard starts. I'm not logging boost (and only have a 2 bar map sensor) but I plan to later.

TE44 turbo, stock injectors, upgraded exhaust, not sure about the fuel pump but I think it's stock.

Attachments won't take .dat files so here's a link to the log:
http://www.dixiesys.com/LogFile25.dat

So looks like time to upgrade injectors and possibly fuel system? Or am I totally missing the point? Thanks for looking!

Here's a screenshot of the KNR/IDC/RPM/TPS graphs of when the knock retard happens:

knock.gif

You might want to do a baseline check and make sure that your TPS is working correctly! You never go higher than 2.09. It does seem odd that your injector duty cycle is that high at only 2.09 on your TPS... Did you go to WOT?

Upgrading the fuel pump and a hotwire and some 36lb min. injectors should have been the first thing done for a 44. Looks pretty simple, you're out of fuel. Next you go boom.

No I didn't go WOT nowhere near it :) I KNOW I'm getting knock retard I'm not gonna beat on it that's for sure, even at just partial throttle I'm getting knock out the wazoo.

I hooked up the MAP to the powerlogger and did a short run just now, this is nasty, new logfile:

http://www.dixiesys.com/LogFile2.dat

New screencap that pretty much sums it up I think:

knock2.gif

Upgrading the fuel pump and a hotwire and some 36lb min. injectors should have been the first thing done for a 44. Looks pretty simple, you're out of fuel. Next you go boom.

Supposedly it had 55# injectors but that wasn't so :)

I just took a peek at my fuel pump wires at the back of the car.

Ok I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is "factory" or not, here's a really crappy picture of the plug I saw back there by the fuel tank:

fpplug.jpg

Does that orange plug look like a factory piece? That tag on it I'm thinking if it were factory would be long gone thanks to the ravages of time?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can mount on the hood? That way you can watch the pressure while you are making a run. It should increase in proportion with your boost. 43# at idle plus 14# of boost = 57# of fuel pressure. If your pressure drops, you know it is something to do with the fuel pump, pump sock or fuel lines. No need to start throwing money at a problem when it may just be a clogged fuel sock.

Stock injectors are horribly small for that turbo!! :eek:

But, It's still strange they go so far static without even going full throttle. Something else is going on with fuel delivery, etc.

In looking at your file, I have to ask, what MAF setup are you running????

When setting PL to normal 255, I saw values over 250 when the injector DC was over 140!!!:eek: Both numbers are outrageous for the rpm, tps etc you were running.
MAF reading over 250 at the low power levels you're running is probably why the injectors are being driven insane.

Why is your boost reading over 31#????? OH, I just saw you only have a 2bar map sensor. Better get a 3 bar and a good boost gauge to get an accurate handle on that part.

Stock maf and stock fuel pump and looks like a pretty new but non adjustable FPR.

Switching to a new MAF and MAFT soon, and gonna order a fuel pump and hotwire at the same time I guess since it's pretty obvious I'm gonna need to.

Got a new 3 bar sitting here waiting on me to start putting new parts on it :)

I went to racetronix to order the FP and hotwire but my plug wires aren't either color he shows, I got a better picture with my camera:
PICT0002_001.sized.jpg

Buick Fuel Pump Offer - GNTTYPE.ORG

It's not the same color wires as either of those connectors he shows so I didn't order yet.

MAF and MAFT are on order however.

No fuel pump gauge yet, you'd think with all the stuff the ECM monitors, fuel and oil pressure would be part of it :)

that is odd, your main harness comes in with black pink and tan wires, and the pump side connector is orange like the g75 system but with what looks like black blue and grey wires. :confused:

Since your GN is an 87, I'd guess it needs the G77 system, but you might want to call them to confirm.

My main concern is replacing a fuel pump that's already been replaced with a better unit and like anyone else i don't want to spend money if it isn't necessary of course.

My main concern is replacing a fuel pump that's already been replaced with a better unit and like anyone else i don't want to spend money if it isn't necessary of course.

I could be wrong, but I don't think your issue is with the fuel pump after looking at that log file.

I have new 60# injectors and a new TT chip here on my desk, and a 3 bar map ready to go in.

Do you think I'm on the right course? Or is there maybe something else I'm totally overlooking?

Also just ordered an LS1 MAF and am about to order a Maf Translator.

And it seems that replacing and re-wiring the fuel pump is something everyone agrees is something you should do as one of the first upgrades, something tells me when i get the OTHER bugs fixed I'll be seeing fuel delivery issues from the factory pump and wiring.

I have new 60# injectors and a new TT chip here on my desk, and a 3 bar map ready to go in.

Do you think I'm on the right course? Or is there maybe something else I'm totally overlooking?

Also just ordered an LS1 MAF and am about to order a Maf Translator.

And it seems that replacing and re-wiring the fuel pump is something everyone agrees is something you should do as one of the first upgrades, something tells me when i get the OTHER bugs fixed I'll be seeing fuel delivery issues from the factory pump and wiring.

I'm not sure what's causing what. could be the 2bar maps boost readings sending things ascew. Could be the fact that the maf is reading 250+ and less such low rpm and tps levels, but why? why is boost reading more than 30# with only a 2 bar map? It should only read up to 15#????
This is so weird.

Ah I think what's happening on the boost is I had powerlogger set to "3 bar map" and mine's a 2 bar which tops out around 14.1 (or are you loading the log in your PLC and not setting it for 2 bar map?)

Ah I think what's happening on the boost is I had powerlogger set to "3 bar map" and mine's a 2 bar which tops out around 14.1 (or are you loading the log in your PLC and not setting it for 2 bar map?)

OK, setting it to a two bar map tops the display out at 14.1, BUT, it's a flat line, so my assumption has to be the boost still appears to go way higher than the map/plc can read/display. Why, is my question how much boost did you actually reach during that run. Obviously something WAY in excess of 14.

still :confused:

Ah that is why I ordered a 3 Bar so I could find out. I also have a mechanical gauge I'm going to install very soon too that reads vacuum to 30 psi. I haven't had the car long and I'm working my way through any problems I find, it's a 20 year old car I figured it'd have bugs when I bought it, I wasn't wrong that's for sure.

Basically someone before me upgraded it to a TE44 and "stage 1 ANS chip" and a upgraded exhaust and apparently, not much else. Car is so badly out of tune and wack that it's a shame. I'm working on getting it all back in tune and running properly. And after all is said and done pulling a wicked 1/4 mile :)