PowerLogger input ??????

Can the PL be configured to LOG 12+ Volts??
Basically i am having an a LOW voltage issue in my car i have checked just about everything and i want to make sure that i am chasing something that is actually going on rather made up in my head.

Anyways what id like to do is log the voltage AT the
1-Alt
2-Fuel pump
3-ECM
4-Module

I would move the wire to one item at a time.-- First check one item and if checks out then check the next and so on.

I had the ALT checked on the auto parts store machine and it passed
I had the car checked by the auto part store hand held machine and it passed
BUT
On my PL files in/under boost and RPM it falls pretty low as low as 11.6 a few times and floats around 11.8-12.2.

I did install a Volt booster that seems to work but i still would like to get this fixed with out having the crutch. BTW The volt Booster only brought the voltage up to 14.5 if that means anything.

No on the Powerlogger logging 12v. But..... Here's my favorite device!! Completely portable, small, clips on with aligator clips, pull it out, and plug into your USB port for data download. Works great for logging voltage.

http://www.saelig.com/MFR00051/DLVO005.htm

You don't have to get from this vendor, just do search on EL-USB-3 and find the best deal.

cute device, but you can log higher voltages with the PL as long as you divide it down with resistors.

if you want to log with input 5, put a 2.2k resistor from input 5 to ground, and use a 4.7K in line with the wire you are connecting to your voltage source.

the division ratio then becomes 2.2/6.7 so 15v will read as 4.93v you can scale the input 5 reading so PL will read out the real volts by editing the PLC.ini file.

Make sense?

Bob

cute device, but you can log higher voltages with the PL as long as you divide it down with resistors.

if you want to log with input 5, put a 2.2k resistor from input 5 to ground, and use a 4.7K in line with the wire you are connecting to your voltage source.

the division ratio then becomes 2.2/6.7 so 15v will read as 4.93v you can scale the input 5 reading so PL will read out the real volts by editing the PLC.ini file.

Make sense?

Bob

Hey Bob, would you set the "offset volts" for the appropriate input to a value of -7 if you wanted something that was 12 v to show 5 v?.... or do I have it backwards...? i.e. after the resistors.... you are showing 4.93 volts from your example above and you set the offset volts to about 10 volts to make Analog5 read the real 15 volts?

0-15 before the resistor divider becomes 0-4.9 after the divider. Baseline is still 0 so no "offset", scaling only.

0-15 before the resistor divider becomes 0-4.9 after the divider. Baseline is still 0 so no "offset", scaling only.

yup.

the offset doesn't have that kind of range anyway. you need to make the changes in the PLC.ini file

Make sense?

Bob

Is the "4.7K" also a resister?
My PL reads only 14.5 at WOT while using a Volt booster. Would this make a deference on which resisters to use?
thanks for you help.

Is the "4.7K" also a resistor?
YES 4,700 ohms aka 4.7K

change nothing - follow Bobs instructions
will do
i am also a foggy on
input #5 is only ONE terminal.
SO if i got this right
take a wire attach it to a ground then put the 2.2K resistor on the wire then connect it to the #5 input.
THEN
take another resister attach it to the same #5 input (now i have TWO/2 wires on #5 input) and connect the other end to what ever 12 plus volt source i want to monitor. is this right ???????????
Sorry but i rather look like an idiot by asking, instead of taking out the factory smoke.

And, as is typical of internet stuff the battery is drawn upside down, so ignore that :)
Narrow dashes ends on a battery cell depiction are negative- consistent with the dashes on the ground symbol

Ground is at the bottom. Thing on the left is your battery ie voltage source. R1 is 4,700 ohm resistor R2 is 2,200 ohm resistor.
HTH?

the calculator was just a FYI thing

you need 2 resistors a 2.2K and a 4.7K the "wattage" doesn't matter in this application, so whatever Radio Shaft has in stock is fine.

Using input 5 as the example:
connect the 2.2K from input 5 to ground,
one end of the 4.7K goes to input 5, the other end gets wired to the place where you want to measure the voltage.

so the ground terminal on the PL has one resistor leg stuck in it, the Input5 terminal has 2 resistor legs stuck in it, and the free end of the 4.7K has a wire connected to it.

Is that any better?