PowerLogger and signed drivers (Windows 7 and 8.x issues)

TurboBob

Resident mad scientist
Staff member
The PowerLoggers have been shipping set up for signed drivers for quite a while. But some guys are having issues with their old laptops dying. When they buy a shiny new (or just newer) laptop, then they have the driver signing problems.

The older PL's can be converted to use signed drivers. Its not hard, but it is "techy".

Here is a link to the required files.

www.bailey-eng.com/PowerLogger/PL_Convert_Signed.zip

Install MProg, run it, plug in the PL, select the 232rl-default template file (included in the zip file), click the magnifying glass (scan for available devices) to connect to the PL, then click the lightning-bolt (program all devices). This process may need to be run on an older computer.

I can make the conversion here, if you want to send the PL in.

Bob

Last edited:
After selecting template file (default ept) I never see an hourglass, I just get a little window opening saying "no device found"

When I click scan for available devices, I get the following at the bottom of the page however.

Number of blank devices = 0
Number of programmed devices = 1

How is this possible?

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
please use the 232rl-default template file included in the download. You will not see an hourglass.

the 1 programmed device found is the PowerLogger. We are "re"-programming back to a generic FT232RL.

Bob

The only template file to choose was "default dot ept. so that's the one I chose.

I included the 232rl-default template in the zip file download.

OK, it didn't make it in the first transfer, so I drug it into the templates folder manuallly. I'll run down to the car and give it another try. Be back in about 10 minutes.

That seems to have worked because this is what I see after hitting the program button.

Look correct to you??

Untitled 1.jpg

If my PL is working on Win7 , everything is good , I gather this is for the newer Win 8.1 computer . my 3 PL`s on 3 TB are working fine the way they .are .

If my PL is working on Win7 , everything is good , I gather this is for the newer Win 8.1 computer . my 3 PL`s on 3 TB are working fine the way they .are .
Mine is too, but I figured I'd go ahead and flash the PL with the signed driver stuff in case this laptop failed and I was forced to upgrade to a win 8 piece of crap.

What about using the latest PL updated cd with an old windows XP system? will their be any com problems?