Power trunk option add on.

mikec1969

Has anyone tackled this project? I see complete kits for sale, but I would not attempt to add it if it meant cutting up any wires in the harness or splicing in to power wires for a 12volt supply. I was hoping GM had the wires in place for all G-bodies and you could just "plug and play", but I'm not that lucky.

Use the + going to the trunk light and run a ground to the button in the glovebox.Not sure if the wires are there but I doubt it.You could run 2 wires to the front so you don't have to tap the trunk wire but it don't seem worth it.

I wonder how difficult running wires would be? I would guess it has to follow the passenger side of the car, under the door sill and behind the pass. kick panel...sounds like a lot of work to do it correctly.

No cutting involved in mine & it didn't have the wiring either. :frown: I got the wiring from an 80's Cutlass I think at the local yard. There's a brown wire that has a connector for the IGN 3 slot in the fusebox and the other end goes to one side of the switch. The other wire, black, goes from the switch down the plastic trough under the sill plate into the trunk. If you get the wiring out of a donor car, grab the plastic clips that hold the wire to the trunk lid arm. Also get the bracket the switch pops into, as well as the screw that holds the solenoid to the trunk lid. The switch and solenoid are still available from GM. Switch is 1620478 & solenoid is 20052845. When mounting the solenoid, a small section of metal needs folded over so the lever can move. Worst part of it all was getting that plastic trough to open up. :rolleyes:

David

Good info, Dave. What did you use to fish the wire through the plastic wire sleeve, also can you make it to the trunk without removing the interior? The kit I'm thinking about has all the small parts you have described.

Ha-ha, I tried shoving the wire through. Not! :D Noticed the thing is more of a channel that unsnaps and slightly opens. Just lay the wire in and snap it closed. I took out the bottom of the back seat & unbolted the backrest on the pass side. Bolt holds the seatbelt I think. Snaked the wire through that way. Pretty easy. Don't know which side of the trunk lid the wire would normally go up but I ran mine on the pass side arm. I think originally, the switch gets power only when the key is on run. I changed the plastic housing on the fusebox end of that wire and plugged it into another slot so it has power all the time. Then my Viper alarm controls a relay whose contacts are across the switch. Simple...

David :)

mikec1969 said:
Has anyone tackled this project? I see complete kits for sale, but I would not attempt to add it if it meant cutting up any wires in the harness or splicing in to power wires for a 12volt supply. I was hoping GM had the wires in place for all G-bodies and you could just "plug and play", but I'm not that lucky.[/QUote

This is interesting. Several years ago I bought the decode book for the GN options. I was decoding the trunk label and i did not find the code for the power trunk release yet my car has this option. I am the 2nd owner and I think that the dealer put in this option. I do know that my car was in the showroom.

Good luck
Frank