Power steering pump on the way out??

TR Custom Parts

Mark Hueffman - Owner
Steering is making a groaning sound even while in the straight ahead position. Gets worse when turning the wheel. Fluid is full, pretty sure it is the pump. What's the pump part # and where is the best place to buy one?

Steering is making a groaning sound even while in the straight ahead position. Gets worse when turning the wheel. Fluid is full, pretty sure it is the pump. What's the pump part # and where is the best place to buy one?

you can get them anywhere ive seen some go for dirt cheap on ebay that are freshly rebuilt

I was having trouble finding one locally so I ordered one from NOS4GN.......rebuilt by AC Delco. No complaints. I ordered several from the different chains in the area but they were wrong when they arrived so it was worth paying a little extra to get the right one rebuilt by OEM.

I just got a rebuilt A1 Cardone from Rock Auto. for about $75 shipped.

I've only noticed what many call steering pump "morning sickness" in the fall weather and only a few times with my car.

Went away after a while and never came back now in about 10 years.

I'd swap out the reservoir power steering fluid and drive it tomorrow in the 80+ degree weather we will be having and see if it goes away.

I have the Cardone rebuilt pump here if you need one quickly, you can replace it at your leisure, but parts stores most likely have them available quickly as well.

My problem turned out to be one loose bolt and the other broken bolt causing my belt squeal not the power pump itself.

Not much driving time left this year, I'd stick with yours until spring, it might just go away.

Just my .02.

check your return hoses before throwing a new pump at it- they can get pinhole leaks that don't let fluid out but let air in.

Is the fluid foamy? If so it could be sucking air like mentioned above. But your probably right and the pump is just shot finally.

I usually don't believe in "bandaids" but.......I used the Lucas power steering treatment 5 or 6 years ago when I bought my car because of a bad groaning noise. It's been quiet since then.
Ross

+3 On the hoses. I had one making the noise and it turned out to be the return hose. Looked fine on the outside, no leaks, but the inside of the hose was nearly swollen closed.

Correct power steering resevoir? There was a change. The change required a larger dia return hose, I believe, and a different power steering resevoir.

Correct power steering resevoir? There was a change. The change required a larger dia return hose, I believe, and a different power steering resevoir.

gary-------i think that the change was only on the 86 cars------they came with a reservoir that had a clockwise=on lid-------sometimes the oil would foam up and cause noise but it wasn't all of them------the fix was the newer reservoir with the counterwise=on lid...............RC

You are correct to a point, Richard, excepting that I believe quite a few '87 turbo Buicks went out the door as late as late '87 with the earlier power steering reservoir. I do not remember on mine whether the cap rotated in a different direction, but I can tell you that the reservoir was different itself. The old one had pretty small lines going to and from. Either the inlet or outlet boss / nipple was located differently, and contained a right angle pointing downwards, I believe, and the reservoir was smaller. The new design / replacement was bigger, different molding, larger outlet hose nipple, 1 hose located a little different, & there was something inside the reservoir that rattled when new, part of the design, I guess.

I chased the same problem several years ago on my 87. I changed the pump and lines and it didn't correct the problem.

The new style resevoir did the trick for me, never had a problem since.

You are correct to a point, Richard, excepting that I believe quite a few '87 turbo Buicks went out the door as late as late '87 with the earlier power steering reservoir. I do not remember on mine whether the cap rotated in a different direction, but I can tell you that the reservoir was different itself. The old one had pretty small lines going to and from. Either the inlet or outlet boss / nipple was located differently, and contained a right angle pointing downwards, I believe, and the reservoir was smaller. The new design / replacement was bigger, different molding, larger outlet hose nipple, 1 hose located a little different, & there was something inside the reservoir that rattled when new, part of the design, I guess.

possibly so----------sometimes the cutoff of parts isn't very clear but so far i personally haven't seen any of the older ones on an 87--------do you know the production date of your car?----------at any rate i never understood the reverse turn cap---------i always wondered if it was just a mistake or if it was to clearly indicate that it was not the older inferior unit...........RC

I usually don't believe in "bandaids" but.......I used the Lucas power steering treatment 5 or 6 years ago when I bought my car because of a bad groaning noise. It's been quiet since then.
Ross

Amen to the Lucas additive!!! Car moaned when i was just a wee tot, then about three years ago i put Lucas in there and it has ceased to whine again! dont put too much in though or it will whine cause its too thick:p

possibly so----------sometimes the cutoff of parts isn't very clear but so far i personally haven't seen any of the older ones on an 87--------do you know the production date of your car?----------at any rate i never understood the reverse turn cap---------i always wondered if it was just a mistake or if it was to clearly indicate that it was not the older inferior unit...........RC
I have the TSB #'s at home. Two (2) technical service bulletins were done in mid to late '87, I believe, changing the assembly. Maybe it changed twice. I don't remember when I changed mine whether the old cap was right or left hand, but I do remember that the outlet was different, required a larger hose, removed the right hand turn in the boss, was a new reservoir.

I have the TSB #'s at home. Two (2) technical service bulletins were done in mid to late '87, I believe, changing the assembly. Maybe it changed twice. I don't remember when I changed mine whether the old cap was right or left hand, but I do remember that the outlet was different, required a larger hose, removed the right hand turn in the boss, was a new reservoir.

I also change my reservoir in my 86 ttype because i saw the TSB. i believe my old cap was left hand thread because people would tighten the cap before they figured out it was opposite.

The new cap is LH threads, The original cap was RH threads. There was an interim fix using the resivoir off of a J car until the new parts came from GM.