Power Master Issues

Rotti54

I noticed from time to time the brake light would come on. Sometimes it stayed on for an extended period and other times it would go right off. Today it stayed on for a while and then I noticed my brake pedal having pressure then loosing out and going to the floor. What is the problem and how hard is it to fix??? Any help is appreciated.

could be a broken brake line or wheel cylinder ..look for leaks
if no leaks
vac conversion ...
or pony up for a rebuilt powermaster from kirbans

No none lol goes to the floor. But it did when the damn thing was working properly. Just went out in me today after a long cruise.

That light is trying desperately to tell you that there's a problem!! Why do you continue to drive it??? Oh, wait, you're driving it until it fails completely then you can join the rest of the crowd that didn't know how to care for the system and now tell everybody to switch to vacuum brakes.... :mad:

Hey Turbo Dave Im new to the turbo buick world and how things operate so chill with the attitude huh!!!! I honestly thought the rear ebrake was not releasing or tripping the light the powermaster seemed to be working great until yesterday.

I now know that the light is tied into the powermaster unit which i had been unaware of until yesterday, thanks!

its also tied into the prop valve which may have nothing to do with the powermaster unit
if theres an imbalance in the brake portion of the hydraulics ( like a leak or air or a bad hose ) the prop valve will move toward the lower pressure side (pushed by the side that has more pressure ) and the switch will activate the BRAKE light

Last edited:
Oh wow Paul I didnt know that either. Well lots to learn about these awesome cars, but I'm trying!!! Thanks for the info bud

The powermaster is not something to fool with. Its also quite expensive to replace and it has a bad habit of failing without warning. Some will tell you just keep the fluid clean and its good but I've had them fail new with clean fluid so I do not trust them as far as I tossed the last one into a dumpster. Vacuum or hydroboost is what most do. My life is worth more than originality and the cost is ridiculous. Vacuum swap 100% new under 200 bucks. Hydro about 400 to 600 and power disasters are over a grand. Do the math. Don't listen to me just read the threds on the pms about the crashes and near death experiences. No joke.