Power Master Guru...

The 84 gn hydroboost doesn't have the accumulator to allow for that one extra assisted pedal push in case the engine quits on you. To save money get one off a Chevy Astro van from the junk yard.

That's what I am talking about.... Good point! And weighting the pro's and con's of hydro, power and vacuum systems. This lack of assisted braking when the engine quits applies to both hydro and vacuum....right?

The more I learn and think about this... Hydro is sounding more appealing.

How do I know it is a Hydac? is that stamp or labeled on it? Can't look now, too dark....and the beer is also too good.

I will check in the morning....still thinking over which direction to go.

Thanks for the help
The Hydac is larger than a stocker and there's no hex on the face. Usually a sticker that says Hydac too

just out of curiosity and not to hijack this thread.... I have a good motor coming from gbodyparts, and when I go to put it back on my car, is there anything fancy I need to do to bleed, or prepump, preprime the pump etc...?? key on key off, press pedal blah blah...
when I took old unit off, I did it quickly and didn't lose much fluid and plugged the brake line off going to the power master motor...
so is there much air in system? is there a secret to installing these motors back?
do I just simply turn key on let the pump do it thing to get fluid where it needs to be? or?
any help is appreciated.
thanks.

just out of curiosity and not to hijack this thread.... I have a good motor coming from gbodyparts, and when I go to put it back on my car, is there anything fancy I need to do to bleed, or prepump, preprime the pump etc...?? key on key off, press pedal blah blah...
when I took old unit off, I did it quickly and didn't lose much fluid and plugged the brake line off going to the power master motor...
so is there much air in system? is there a secret to installing these motors back?
do I just simply turn key on let the pump do it thing to get fluid where it needs to be? or?
any help is appreciated.
thanks.

good question...dunno?

anyone else?

Is this pump new or used? I didn't see it on his website. If you actually receive it, just hook it up and turn key on, engine off. You should hear it run for 3-4 seconds. You should then be good to go. Pump should run every third press of the pedal. If it runs more frequently than that, then your accumulator is bad, if memory serves. I went to hydroboost years ago, and don't deal with this nonsense anymore.

any help is appreciated.
thanks.

First thing, disconnect battery
then de-pressurize the system until you use up everything that's stored in the accumulator. gently pump the brake pedal til you feel that all the power assist is gone, this might be 30 pumps depending on how hard you pump and how good your accumulator is. I use little pumps.... then tap it a couple more times for good measure. the accumulator is completely empty now and the system is depressurized.
suck all the fluid out of the reservoir with a small hand operated vacuum pump, or some other clever method. don't spill on your paint.
swap the pump
refill the reservoir with new fluid. cap it up.
reconnect battery, key on and let it run. It should run ~15 seconds or so to fully charge a completely empty accumulator. it will suck down a large portion of the reservoir contents leaving only 1/2" or so at the bottom. do not add any more fluid on the passenger side (pump side) or it will overflow next time you de-pressurize.

Hope that answers your question bluehair....now give me my thread back!...JK, appreciate the question and thanks for joining the conversation.

Kirban again

You have to go to our website if you are thinking about buying a hydroboost system from us we offer two different ones neither is in the $300 price range unfortunately. Not sure who offers one that cheap. Yes they are more time consuming to install over a vacuum format.

But that is the way to go if you want to go racing....keep in mind hydro boost works of your power steering set up which now takes on an additional load and its 25 plus years old. You have to pay attention to bleed everything properly so it works.

Other systems I am sure exist cheaper than what we offer which is another option.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I suggest you post a question to those that have hydro boost systems the most popular one is the expensive one from Hydratech.which we sell as do others.

Other one doe snot have the fancy stainless hoses and is slightly cheaper and we get that from another supplier. Both take the same Corvette master cylinder which is the one they both recommend.

Again no pressure here just giving you details.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Is this a "Hydac" type accumulator? All I know is it was purchased used through Kirban about two years ago. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    731 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    686 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    898.2 KB · Views: 162
that is the Cardone reproduction brake bowl accumulator bow that has been bullet proof since they made it about 6 years ago....it is slightly bigger than the original one is.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

has nothing to do with the hydro boost systems...nor is the brake bowl a 100% cure all to keep the brake lite from coming on....

Kirban again

You have to go to our website if you are thinking about buying a hydroboost system from us we offer two different ones neither is in the $300 price range unfortunately. Not sure who offers one that cheap. Yes they are more time consuming to install over a vacuum format.

But that is the way to go if you want to go racing....keep in mind hydro boost works of your power steering set up which now takes on an additional load and its 25 plus years old. You have to pay attention to bleed everything properly so it works.

Other systems I am sure exist cheaper than what we offer which is another option.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I suggest you post a question to those that have hydro boost systems the most popular one is the expensive one from Hydratech.which we sell as do others.

Other one doe snot have the fancy stainless hoses and is slightly cheaper and we get that from another supplier. Both take the same Corvette master cylinder which is the one they both recommend.

Again no pressure here just giving you details.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hi Denis,

I got all my parts through Oriellys for a 84 Buick Turbo. Hydro boost accumulator, master cylinder, two hoses and the return line, tee-fitting, clamps and brake fluid...All for $333. And that was with a Military discount... Otherwise it would have been $365.

I completely agree about the power loss, but I feel that would only really apply during braking. Right? And who cares about power loss during braking.

I haven't looked into the difference between what I've ordered and compared it to what you offer, but I will. Since everything I've ordered is returnable I am still debating which route to go. Who knows? I may order a new motor and call it good. Right now just getting some kits together and weighting my options.

that is the Cardone reproduction brake bowl accumulator bow that has been bullet proof since they made it about 6 years ago....it is slightly bigger than the original one is.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

has nothing to do with the hydro boost systems...nor is the brake bowl a 100% cure all to keep the brake lite from coming on....

Thanks Denis. That is good to know. And no matter which way I go... I have and will continue to order through you. Appreciate the help

A little insight unless I am wrong as I used to sell them also. That unit you are getting is what came on the 84 Turbo Regal so its a rebuilt one from Cardone....it lacks the later style that we sell which is brand new. I stopped carrying what you bought because too many issues also they ran out of cores.

Your working with a unit that is over 25 years old and is quite rare versus a new hydo boost system that we offer and others offer...if it was me and I was looking for a cheap out I would do vacuum....

As for a new motor curing your issues on what you got....probably better at hitting your state lottery..

again my opinion only....
granted the O reil ly unit has a warranty issue is cores are very scarce example for that 84 system...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

A little insight unless I am wrong as I used to sell them also. That unit you are getting is what came on the 84 Turbo Regal so its a rebuilt one from Cardone....it lacks the later style that we sell which is brand new. I stopped carrying what you bought because too many issues also they ran out of cores.

Your working with a unit that is over 25 years old and is quite rare versus a new hydo boost system that we offer and others offer...if it was me and I was looking for a cheap out I would do vacuum....

As for a new motor curing your issues on what you got....probably better at hitting your state lottery..

again my opinion only....
granted the O reil ly unit has a warranty issue is cores are very scarce example for that 84 system...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Just got done looking at your kit, very inclusive and didnt realize that your kit offered the "later" style vs what I got through my local parts store. When you say "to many issues", could you be more specific... What kind of issues?

What part are you referring too? The hydro boost? Or master cylinder? I really like the hoses in your kits as well, offers some choices in fitment.

Thanks Denis and sorry for all the questions

Anyone else with either conversions or options are welcomed.

Hi Denis,

I got all my parts through Oriellys for a 84 Buick Turbo. Hydro boost accumulator, master cylinder, two hoses and the return line, tee-fitting, clamps and brake fluid...All for $333. And that was with a Military discount... Otherwise it would have been $365.

I completely agree about the power loss, but I feel that would only really apply during braking. Right? And who cares about power loss during braking.

I haven't looked into the difference between what I've ordered and compared it to what you offer, but I will. Since everything I've ordered is returnable I am still debating which route to go. Who knows? I may order a new motor and call it good. Right now just getting some kits together and weighting my options.
$131.79 for the 84 GN hydroboost at Rock Auto.

My last words on this topic...

buying a rebuilt 84 hydro boost system whether you pinch pennies at O reilly or rock auto or where ever 99% sure all are rebuilt by Cardone and cores for them are scarce I buy direct from cardone I can find out instantly how many cores of something exists...for the amount of work to install a hydro boost system I would not start with a rebuilt 84 unit...just my opinion.

they are ancient to start with and don't measure up to the new ones....anytime you can buy new buy new...

you need to get other opinions from other owners all the options we sell (4 of them) are on our website short of sticking your foot out the door to stop your car.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

My last words on this topic...

buying a rebuilt 84 hydro boost system whether you pinch pennies at O reilly or rock auto or where ever 99% sure all are rebuilt by Cardone and cores for them are scarce I buy direct from cardone I can find out instantly how many cores of something exists...for the amount of work to install a hydro boost system I would not start with a rebuilt 84 unit...just my opinion.

they are ancient to start with and don't measure up to the new ones....anytime you can buy new buy new...

you need to get other opinions from other owners all the options we sell (4 of them) are on our website short of sticking your foot out the door to stop your car.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I like what you are saying Dennis and I agree...new is always better.

Could you please explain what the 'upgraded' part is in your kit. And is it upgraded because it is new? or is it because it is a later model that fixed previous problems of the 84's? Please elaborate...

Also...If any one has this conversion or anything else, please share.

First off, I am not against hydroboost. I have two hydroboost systems on GM vehicles that are both pretty badass. However, when it came time to shelf my power master, I elected vacuum for its simplicity.

What makes you think you won't be able to build boost or do nasty burnings with vacuum brakes? I can hold 17 psi with mine. Or put on one helluva smoke show if I feel like lighting up some old tires (aka money).

FYI, the 89 TTAs came stock from GM with vacuum brakes and they worked just fine (and still do)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, I am not against hydroboost. I have two hydroboost systems on GM vehicles that are both pretty badass. However, when it came time to shelf my power master, I elected vacuum for its simplicity.

What makes you think you won't be able to build boost or do nasty burnings with vacuum brakes? I can hold 17 psi with mine. Or put on one helluva smoke show if I feel like lighting up some old tires (aka money).

FYI, the 89 TTAs came stock from GM with vacuum brakes and they worked just fine (and still do)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok! Thanks for sharing your experience with vacuum systems on these cars. I did not realize you could build boost with a vacuum assisted braking system and still be able keep the car in the same spot. I just assumed the brakes wouldn't work very well and more like (manual) brakes or better yet, resemble the lack of braking during a power master system failure.

Because it is a system designed to assist in braking while the engine is under a vacuum and this only occurs with your foot off the excelerator I don't understand how you can hold the car in one spot while applying boost...which is the opposite of a vacuum.

How easy does it hold when pressing the brakes and creating boost at the same time?