Power Logger...Now What?

chicagoslick

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a powerlogger for my 87 Buick GN (as part of the recent group purchase from Full Thottle) and now wonder what else should I get to compliment it for tuning (boost gauge, EGT, WB O2, etc.). Here is a little background on my car:

87 Buick GN with ~70k miles, I have owned the car since early 90 and it had less than 10 miles on it when I bought it. The car has been regulary maintained thoughout its life and the car is pretty much stock. I only drive the car in nice weather and it has always been babied. Over the last 10 years I have only put about 2k miles on the car, as I have been buried in work. The most work that has ever been done to it mechanically is the Power Master Brake System had to be serviced due to failure. The engine, transmission and rear end are untouched, with the trans and rear never being serviced.

Car starts and runs well, however if I give the car full throttle the car cuts out. My guess is this is due to the lack of fuel. This has happend twice and I have not pushed it since. The car was heavily optioned from the factory and includes factory Astro Roof and Digital Gauge display.

I want to put diagnostic equipment on the car to understand how it is running.

thanks for everyones help,

Gary

Note:
The only items that are not stock is the computer chip which is a Red Armstrong, high speed fan relay kit Casper Electronics, oil filter and oil which have always been Mobile 1 synthetic, fuel filter changed 2x since new Ac Delco, spark plugs AC Delco, air filter changed twice since new Ac Delco, and muffler delete to straight pipes.

If you have the stock fuel pump, it needs to be changed along with adding a hotwire kit to it.
As far as addditional equipment to compliment the powerlogger; wideband O2 kit and a 3 bar map sensor make tuning and diagnostics a lot easier.

A cone air filter would be nice too.

When you say "cutting out", are you referring to an over-boost condition, knock, spark, etc. A fuel pressure gauge and new vacuum lines may help in the troubleshooting.

When you say "cutting out", are you referring to an over-boost condition, knock, spark, etc. A fuel pressure gauge and new vacuum lines may help in the troubleshooting.

The car is falling on it's face type situation....once the gas peddle is released it is just fine and stays running....My bet fuel, but no real way to tell unless I get good info on the things I should buy.

So with this said, what are the things, specifically (name brand, type, part number) of what the Buick community recommends? I am not new to tubo cars, nor building cars, nor most terminology but way out of touch with the latest / greatest / best known / best tested by everyone here....

I am not looking to make the car go faster or have more power until I know everything is running correctly. So that is the reason for the "tuning tools" posting.

thanks again for everyones help,

gary