Power logger file reveiw

brian b

Could someone review my log and advise on where to start tuning. Timing is about 4 deg advanced from what the PL is showing due to my BHJ balancer trigger wheel being off.

This log was take rolling into boost easy in 3rd.

Thanks....any advice will be appreciated.

Brian B

Attachments

• hywy bst.dat
    77.4 KB · Views: 165
if the LC1 is set up stock, then you are running really rich. (probably due to the alky, and not removing fuel to match)

Bob

Yes the Lc-1 set up like it was when I bought it. My o2 volts seem low. Is this do to not being wot? My ignition volts seem a little on the low side. Should they be 13v+? It runs rich all over, from idle to wot. Should I pull fuel from main scale? What much to start with? Also Someone else pulled 4deg out of the Extender extreme chip to compensate for the trigger wheel being off. Will I lose chip adjustments if I lose power to the ECM or unplug the chip. How do I set the chip back to default settings?
Did anything else look out of wack?

Thanks for you help.

Brian B

your BLMs are a little high, which means its actually a little lean. If driveability is good, I'd leave it for now. I would pull some fuel from the high load page from 3000 RPM up. Say 5-10% considering how rich it looks.

Not sure on the stock O2, you could be getting into some rich misfire which will mess with the O2 readings.

Bob

just tryin to learn a little how to read these,is it in blm learning because its an extendr chip?

Yes, BLMs are a little high even at idle which means the computer thinks it's a bit lean, however WB02 is reading 13ish. Now I've read this might indicate a vac leak, that's why the computer keeps adding fuel to compensate for the extra air coming in from the leak. But if there's extra air coming in wouldn't the WB02 be reading a lean mixture as well? I'm guessing it's running rich even though the computer thinks it's lean due to the fact that my exhaust smells rich, there's a gas smell in my oil and gas milage seems poor. I'm going to check for vac leaks this weekend. I have access to a smoke machine. Has anyone had luck useing one of these to find leaks? What is the best way to check for vac leaks?

Thanks for the help.

Brian B

Yup something is off...no doubt. But what??? I'm going to go with vac leak for now and try to confirm if this is the problem or not. any suggestions on the best way to check for vac leaks?

The stock narrowband O2 looks like its almost dead. I would put in a new one and see how it responds.

It is a new one. Just replaced a few weeks ago. Maybe I bought a defective one? Who knows? I'll get another one tonight and check the wire to see if it's frayed. A low NB02 reading would explain why the computer is adding fuel even though it's actually running rich....right?

That's a good question about the NB02. I just went to autozone and asked for a Buick Regal with a turbo V-6 o2 sensor and slapped it in. I think it's a Bosch. What brand do you recommend?

And no I haven't made any changes to the LC-1. The kit only came with a serial port wire and my lap top only has usb ports. Does anyone sell an adapted cable that has serial on one side and USB on the other? What changes should I made to the LC-1?

I've now used a new Bosch, Denso and finally a NGK o2 sensor (can't seem to find a AC delco anywhere) and replaced the female connector on the wire that the o2 sensor plugs into. I have noticed a large increase in how fast my cross counts go up (from 0-255 in a matter of seconds with the NGK o2 sensor that's in there now) and a slight increase in o2 numbers at idle (bounce around in the 500-600 range, used to be 400 range). But at WOT they are still way low(400-500 range).

Are cross count numbers moving nice and fast a sign that the o2 sensor is working properly?

So...I was looking over my GenII install directions again and I noticed that it says to tap into the purple D7 o2 sensor wire with the orange wire from the GenII. I have the signal wire from my LC-1 connected to the orange wire going into the GenII and have left the purple o2 wire alone. Is this the right way to have it wired up?

My ignition volts are 13v at idle but 12-12.5 at WOT. I have a brand new alt. Do I have some other sort of voltage problem?

And finally my MAF #are about 300 at WOT 20lbs of boost. This seems low to me. Shouldn't it be in the 500 range with a 3.5in LS-1 MAF?

I will be most thankful for any advice.

Here is the log I took today. I rolled into it easy in 3rd on the highway.

Brian B

Attachments

• hwybst2.dat
    75.3 KB · Views: 88
OK SO... I did a vacuum leak check with a smoke machine and everything seems sealed up nice and tight. If it's not the o2 sensor or the wire and it's not a vacuum leak and my grounds are good then what else could it be???

I'll buy anyone a case of beer of their choice that can figure this one out.

Brian B

At this point I wonder if there is something wrong with the ecm. Do you have another you can try?

Active cross counts are a sign of a healthy sensor or so I've read.

The orange wire gets the wideband signal unless you don't have one. In that case you would tap onto the factory o2. You have it right.

Low wot voltage is usually due to over draw on the factory power feeds.

MAF #s look fine. That Extreme chip has allot of head room.

RL

Thanks for the advice TurboBuRick!!!

I don't have access to a known good ECM. I will have to buy one. I'm running an electric water pump and a pretty big trans cooler fan. I wonder if I need a 200amp alt? With head lights on and A/C running in part at idle my ign volts drop to high 11s.

So...I'm going to do one final check of all my ground wires, if that doesn't work I will have to buy a beefier alt and swap out ECMs.

To Be Continued.......

Brian B

Did you check power at the back of alternator?

Check the grounds on the back of passenger head. All the system grounds are there.

RL

I just noticed that all my grounds (except LC-1) are still in the block behind my coil pack. Thought I had all those wires connected to the head.

I just read on the LC-1 install directions that you shouldn't ground everything to one place. Is this true? From what I've read on here most people only use the bolt on the back of the passenger side head to ground everything.

I'm going to try grounding everything to the back of the head via a braided metal grounding strap and see if that solves my problem. If not...than I would much appreciate you lending me your known good ECM. I'll pay for shipping both ways of course. And I'll even through in a case of beer of your choice.

Thank you for your help on this. Without you and the rest of the gurus on TB.com I would be stuck driving a Camaro.

Brian B