zR1 and Ducati 0, Buick 1

ttypewhite

I have been tinkering with my Dad's GN for the last couple weeks cleaning up under the hood and losing all the stock vacuum lines, taping his 1" intake spacer and plumbing all the necessary vacuum lines there. Lastly I installed vacuum brakes on it. Well everything turned out great so we have been taking some hits on the car to dial in his pump gas and alky tune. I'm riding shotgun with my laptop datalogging the short passes my Dad is making, then increased the boost a little to 24 psi. The rain came and put a end to that day.
Well today I called the ol boy and told him I was heading over to finish what we started. Made some changes to the file at home and uploaded it to his car when I got to his house. We fired up the car and took it out for some more hits. There is a stretch of road that merges on to the hwy by his house that is about a mile and a half long that is 2 lanes wide,and no on coming traffic or turn offs. So we merge onto the road and I set up my laptop to data log the run. I told him when ever your ready, give her shit. I see him looking in the rearview and hear some rpm coming up on us. My Dad slammed the pedal to the floor, the car squatted, the front end stood up and I look over my shoulder and see a grey ZR1 and a Ducati with momentum coming on us. The Buick then shifts into 3rd and starts pulling away. I look over at my Dad and say , " dude!!! That's enough "!! As the car shifted into overdrive and we were well over 150mph. 2 seconds later the Vette pulls beside us giving us the thumbs up saying WOW that car is nuts!! The guy on the bike could only shake his head and do the same. Even on a rolling start they still couldn't win before we could get into boost. I am deeply impressed with the ol boys car. Feels every bit as fast as mine on the street. He would probably hand me my ass with his instant kick down and explosiveness. My Dad's car made 708 rear wheel with Cal tuning it at 28 psi ( stroker 109 with all the TSM goodies on it) . With the changes we made since then, I would say he is now cruising the streets with that power at 24 psi.

708 rear wheel with Cal tuning it at 28 psi, Holy shit, and this is your Dads car? NICE!

Holy crap that is seriously stout!

Congrats on that I bet that thing is a freaking blast on the street!

What rpm is he shifting on the 1-2 and 2-3?

Sounds real fast!

We didn't do first gear. It's a waste on the street. We were in 3rd, it kicked down to 2nd, shifted itself back to 3rd at 6800rpm and manually shifted into overdrive at 6700rpm. Cruising on a 275/60/15 Drag radial and a 3.73 rear end gear.

We didn't do first gear. It's a waste on the street. We were in 3rd, it kicked down to 2nd, shifted itself back to 3rd at 6800rpm and manually shifted into overdrive at 6700rpm. Cruising on a 275/60/15 Drag radial and a 3.73 rear end gear.

Thanks for the info, just curious what kind of rpm a motor like that will turn.

It would turn 7k, it has a custom grind solid roller in it with jessel style T&D rockers. Attached is a old pic of the motor. Different color scheme now.
DSC05006.jpg

Last edited:
It would turn 7k, it has a custom grind solid roller in it with jessel style T&D rockers. Attached is a old pic of the motor. Different color scheme now.
DSC05006.jpg
I was wondering about the RPM's too. Its got some serious springs in it. What turbo are you running?
My stroker was set up for street duty with stock style T&D's and shifts around 6000. It should go on the dyno with Cal in two weeks.
I'll post up the results or send them in a PM.

I was wondering about the RPM's too. Its got some serious springs in it. What turbo are you running?
My stroker was set up for street duty with stock style T&D's and shifts around 6000. It should go on the dyno with Cal in two weeks.
I'll post up the results or send them in a PM.

He is running a Precision 71 HPS 4 bolt turbo, 3.5" DP and 4" RJC exhaust.
Please do keep me informed Coach on how you make out. Good luck my friend.

No doubt in my mind the dyno numbers would have been higher on this car under better circumstances. My Dad drove it 45min in rush hour traffic to the dyno on a hot 95 degree day, with no cool down because we had 4 cars to do in a 4 hour window. It's only rest was when it was being strapped down to the rollers. so it was pretty heat soaked. Here is a pic of the car.
DSC01860.jpg

Last edited: