Power Gluide with a S2

geno

9sec 17MPG Street Car
Staff member
Has anyone tryed a powergluide behind a S2 before? It sure seems like a turbo motor would like to lean against a 2 speed:)
If the motor made enough power to make it work:confused:

it"d work

Or how about a lenco,.........a friend has one he keeps trying to sell me...........JEFF

Yes, a powerglide has been used successfully by several guys. L. Conley ran
a powerglide with a lock-up converter. The only thing about a powerglide, is that
you have to be willing to twist your motor pretty hard to make it work.

Geno

Gene,

These people have run the glide;

Ken Duttweiler went high 7s with a none lock up.
Conley went 7.75 with one.
Pete Barton "ANS" went 7.7 with one.
Jim D. went 7.5 with one.
Also Ron Luman went 7.5.

All these cars were a lot lighter than your car!
Some people have a problem with running a glide on
a car that is over 3100lbs. It can and is done every day though.
With the stage motor I am sure you are building
I don't think you should worry. Turn up the boost
and let her rip!

I was kinda wondering how it would work on a 9 second car. Like a 80 BB turbo, stage 2 heads, 9" ford,power gluide,10.5 slicks,3200lbs car:) Can it be done? It just seems like our cars would love to lean on a gluide:)

I think it would work great . These motors make more torque than a naturally aspirated v8 in the same horsepower range so i don't think you can really compare them to any other car. Dave Fiscus told me his car ran quicker with a glide than a 400. But it wasn't as much fun on the street. I wanted to try a glide in my car someday just to see. The day i talked to dave i think his car was running 9.20's

Running a glide is very different from running a 3 speed.The glide doesn`t have a deep first gear so you have to come out under some boost (like 20+psi) or the car mite feel like it bogging.Shifting the car is also different before i would shift the car out around the 60ft mark to second.Now it`s around the 3-400 ft mark into second.My personal take is that i like the glide better than the 3 speed.
My personal best so far has beed a 8.90@154.That was done on the last day of the racing season and the first pass on the new car.Also in note I was blowing thru the converter on that run.(converter was not locking up)
Tony

How much money do you have in your Gluide and who,s is it?
What ratio,s do you run in the rearend and trans?What size tire do you have?:D How much rpm do you see?
Sorry for all the question but i need to make up my mind on this ;)
Can you tell me a little more about your cars setup(Motor,Turbo,Weight,Tires,L/U converter$ Ect Ect)

Here is my combo: stage 2 w/stage 2 heads,rollers cam and lifters,hogan intake with 160 lbs injectors,2 T66 bb turbos and boost so far is at 24 psi.the converter is a 9 inch from a company in Ct.It stalls very quickly but needs to be tightened up for the top end.
The trans has no special parts.It has a brake,hd input shaft,stock gear set, and stock case.It was built by Dynamics in Ct.They build all the stuff for the mustang people.
The car is a backhalve car witha set of 33x16.5 mt slicks.The car weighs in at 3020 with driver.The gearing in the back is a 3.90.
What i ment by pushing thru the converter was on my felpro data is that I left the starting line at 7100 rpm and shifted at 7500 and crossed the end at 7500.The rpm graph showed it never dropped when shifting and it stayed like a strait line across the screen.
If you are building a street car with more than 3100lbs. then the glide is no good.The key to all this is the weight.The more weight you have the more rpm/boost you need to get the thing moving with a glide due to the 1.76 first gear.
Let me know if I can help.
Tony

I think i can get my car down to 3250LBS with me in it:) But i want to run a single 80 BB turbo S2 heads and 10.5 tires.Will the weight kill the 60ft? How much did it cost to build the trans with the converter?:D Im looking for low 9,s

Geno, how about a Gear Vendors OD in back of that Glide? :) I have been eyeing their building next to Don Wang's shop in Santee every time I'm out in San Diego...

The trans was about 1150.00 and the converter was 850.00.
If you are looking for low 9`s then a good turbo 400 will work and I think alot of people are using them with great success.
If you are thinking that a turbo 400 will suck some power then you can try to find a person to build a turbo 350.
I`ve also heard about building a AOE trans from a ford that will work.
Let me know
Tony

Originally posted by GNSCOTT
Geno. 80bb??? would that be an 80 wheel in a 76 housing??
Ive just heard the Inovative builds them:)

Originally posted by KendallF
Geno, how about a Gear Vendors OD in back of that Glide? :) I have been eyeing their building next to Don Wang's shop in Santee every time I'm out in San Diego...
The gear vender is not cheap but would be a great way to go:)
I dont think they are verry light and you would have to pack it to the other end of the track :D :D

Originally posted by TwinT66
The trans was about 1150.00 and the converter was 850.00.
If you are looking for low 9`s then a good turbo 400 will work and I think alot of people are using them with great success.
If you are thinking that a turbo 400 will suck some power then you can try to find a person to build a turbo 350.
I`ve also heard about building a AOE trans from a ford that will work.
Let me know
Tony

The reason i like the idea of the gluide is because the rpms stays in the power band almost the whole run.Just like you posted how your run stayed within 400RPM the whole run:) Shifting twice in a 3 speed makes the motor swing through a wider rpm range.Leaning on 2 gears long and hard looks interesting to me:cool: It just seems like our turbo cars would love that:cool: Granted you have more tire with more power and a lighter car then i will have..

Yea Gene...Just talked to Jack. 80mm double bb is being tested. I think i'm gonna wait because the next test turbo is the 88bb.