power antenna

Bobs rare 6

What are you to do to get a good power antenna! I have had my original, gm replacement, and now kirbins unit! Its all junk! I am getting tired of replacing this thing! What is the best option? Thanks, Bob.

Gbodyparts.com will rebuild your original. It ain't cheap though! $200 plus $100 core!

I bought the Metra AW-PW22 off ebay. So far after 3 months so far so good.

Fixed mast recommended?

I finally gave up and put fixed mast antenna's in both my Turbo Regals

So if OP goes for the fixed mast replacement ..... what did you use? OEM GM Regal or aftermarket version? If the aftermarket is used what did you do to make it fit the contour of the Pass fender correctly?

Thanks.
Bob

Gbodyparts.com will rebuild your original. It ain't cheap though! $200 plus $100 core!

add up the amount of costs in New GM Parts, & rebuilt it isn't bad.

Personally I like the 83 & older units that have the antenna in the glass. no masts at all.

Another option is to put a switch to the antenna in tandem with the radio. The only time I put it down is when I put the car cover on it. Otherwise it stays up and it is less wear and tear on it.

Personally I like the black, fixed mast antenna..makes the GN look more sinister....I also added a police radio antenna to the upper center of the back window...it makes the GN look like an undercover cop car....you wouldn't believe the amount of people who slowed down as I approached them and passed.....windows are tinted so they can't see this dweeb in the driver's seat....:biggrin: I love legally faking out people on the road.

I just put a little hole in the car cover with a reinforcement for the antenna...no trouble at all.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Another option to consider. I went this route when my powered mast broke.

I got this from Car Toys and is avail in other stores. It's a powered antenna that installs on the inside of the windshield. I located mine at the top behind the rear view mirror. It's 14 inch wide and is discrete in that location. Then I simply disconnect the stock antenna cable and keep the power mast down all the time. The signal quality is very good since it's powered off the battery power.

$35 and free shipping thru car toys right now http://www.cartoys.com/products/product_technical.cfm/Metra Electronics/WINDSHIELD_MNT_ANTENNA

Metra Part # 44-UA200 | Aftermarket Antenna | Metra Online

44-UA200.jpg

I worked at Delco Products where they were made and they had problems all the time . When I ordered my GN back in '86, I put EVERY option on that car except the power antenna because I knew of their poor reliablity and I could get a new one free! Mine is stuck up right now and I'm thinking of either fixed mast or internal antenna

Does the passenger front fender have to be loosened/moved to change the power antenna?... Thanks, John

It doesn't have to come off, but, it does need enough bolts removed to pull the bottom of the fender out. Phil.

I have a unit from NOS4GN in my car, and it works when it feels like going up and down. Not very happy with it, I do get excited when it works, but wonder if it's going to go down when I turn the radio off.

Interesting thread power antenna failures ae like powermaster failures....you know its going to happen its just a matter of when.

Been great had they mounted it somewhere more acessable....as you do have t loosen the fender to drop it down.

We sold a exact reproduction since its the same as a certain vintage Corvette however that company was having same failures as the GM ones...eventually they should have the issues fixed.

Gbody is a good substitute...probably the only game in town to keep it original. Fixed mast is really a blessing in dsguise.....just see the one post above where the guy worked in that division and notice the problems they had when they were new.

Course I am just guessing but the same year Monte Carlo SS models I don't believe have a power antenna option...nor a powermaster brake system!

I have had antennas fail where the motor runs non stop even with no key in the igntion...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I bought the Metra AW-PW22 off ebay. So far after 3 months so far so good.

Another great feature of your antenna im not sure you know,is if it doest break,a metra can have its mast replaced without removal of the motor.....
If mast ever breaks:
1)take off top nut
2)turrn on ant and let it and help it push out old mast and broken peices.
3)insert new mast.turn off radio and motor will pull down new mast.
4)reinstall nut.......

add up the amount of costs in New GM Parts, & rebuilt it isn't bad.

Personally I like the 83 & older units that have the antenna in the glass. no masts at all.

i welded the hole up in mine when i restored it and put a windshield in out of an 82. love how it looks,nice and clean