POWER ANTENNA(MAST PROBLEM!!)

87RodMan

Ok, I know there is a thousand posts on here about replacing the antenna unit.I'm very thank for that because after scanning a couple I got the old unit out in under 45 min,all went perfect..I also bought a (19151297) gm factory replacement cord kit..HE'S MY PROBLEM,I went to rebuild the unit and took it apart and cleaned it and went to fish the metal rod up through the hollow antenna tube and it doesn't fit..I tried everything! I slowly filed the metal around the welded part were the cord and mast are joined,I tried to widen the hollow mast tube were the mast/cord feeds into and it wasn't the problem either..Looking closely at the stock broken one and the new gm replacement side by side it looks like the new one is a little larger around the area were the cable is crimped to the bottom of the mast..Because of this it want freely slide into the hollow tube that raises up and down..I'm lost for words here! I haven't got a clue on what to do but look for a used telescoping mast from another power unit,and hope my kit will slide into it..Or I will have to ship my kit I just bought off to somebody that has a few laying around and let them try each one until they find a winner..Can somebody please help,or give some advice or thoughts?Wanted to get the car back together for a cruise..Thanks RV..

I can post pics if to hard to understand...