Possible to ruin EGR control by vacuum testing?

YGETV8

I think, therefore I am??
I am trying to track down the causes of my GN/RX-7 idling so poorly. Hoping to find a vacuum leak, I pulled off the EGR valve and controller. No leak, so I put a little Ultra Copper on the gasket and bolted the valve back down. Prior to reinstalling, I put my MityVac to use on the controller vacuum ports. Pumped it up to about 15 psi and had a tiny amount of leakdown, but wasn't bad. Valve diaphragm was fine. So, I put 'er back together. When I fired it back up, the idle was HORRIBLE! Pushed on the valve and it was open?! Unplugged the controller and the idle settled down (the EGR shut when I did this). So, did I ruin the controller somehow? Just to make sure (the original hoses are long gone): the bigger vacuum hose goes to the intake hard line and the smaller to the EGR valve, correct?

Thanks! Jay

To answer my own question: YES! I pulled the hose and could blow right through the controller, which isn't supposed to happen. In hindsight, I guess I should have followed the vacuum lines and only put vacuum to the one into the unit, as I'm guessing putting boost to it blew something inside (which is probably why there is a factory check valve inline to prevent just that from happening!).