Possible to refurbish '86 GN grille?

Coelacanth

Hi Guys, I could've swore there was a body/exterior section somewhere on the forum, but be damned if I can find it now! :confused:

My question is about the chrome grille surround on the '86 grille; it appears to be molded directly to the black finned section. Mine has some bubbling going on under the chrome and is one of the visual annoyances I want to resolve. Is it possible to remove just the chrome section? I'd like to bead-blast it and either re-chrome it or have it powder-coated black...but it doesn't appear to be a separate piece, and may even just be plated plastic.

Aside from replacing that with a very pricey new grille, what have you guys done to spiff up your grilles?

52 views and no response? Can someone at least confirm that the chrome "E" is plated plastic and not steel, and if it's all part of the grille unit? Surely somebody here has done something to address chrome plating issues on the "Buick" part of the grille. :)

My grill has a crease in the fake chrome, haven't tried it yet but I bet some paint stripper will remove the coating and you can paint, vinyl wrap or whatever suits you. Let us know what you find if you try something as I won't deal with mine for a few years probably

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The entire grill is plastic, except for the metal mounting strip.

Can someone PLEASE post pics of ALL the different grills? Some say this grill came on that car and that grill came on this car. I would like to track down the correct grill for my my car. Thanks!

I would say the only thing you can do about the chrome issue is to sand it off and paint.

vader87, that looks exactly like my '86 grille. The '87 GN grille is all blacked out and looks a bit different.

I've used Easy Off oven cleaner to remove plating from nylon RC car wheels, it works a lot easier than sanding it...but I would definitely have to test in a small spot on the grille plastic first. I'm not sure if Easy Off would attack the plastic. After removing the chrome, I was considering to spray PlastiDip where the chrome "E" would've been, thinking the semi-gloss black would look nice, contrasting with the flat black grille slats.

That grill is the same as mine, that is a 86 grill. It is plastic but there are places that should be able to redo the chrome. Check with a local chrome shop if they can't do plastic that might be able to point you in the right direction? Also just replacing the grill might be the most cost effective? Good luck

My grille is in excellent condition, excluding the bubbling chrome. No broken or chipped fins. I'm also budget-restrained because I'm also restoring my '70 Charger, so I kind of split the resources between the two. Fortunately the GN has been meticulously maintained over the years and there are mostly only cosmetic issues to take care of, mostly stuff I can do myself to save money. I'm doing the door weatherstripping this summer, too, and if the budget permits, fabricating my own cold air intake. I do what I can to keep costs down, because the Charger needs front floor pans welded in this summer (hopefully). :cool:

Can someone PLEASE post pics of ALL the different grills? Some say this grill came on that car and that grill came on this car. I would like to track down the correct grill for my my car. Thanks!

I would say the only thing you can do about the chrome issue is to sand it off and paint.

@Vadar87 That picture your posted is an 86 T type grill, not a GN grill. Notice the 3 thicker bars on each side of the center bar. Dead give away.

There are many companies that do that. Google plastic chroming service.

I want to safely remove it, not re-chrome it. Telling someone to Google something isn't helpful advice. I work in I.T. and Google the sh!t out of everything, not to mention spending hours every day reading through this forum.

EDIT: I realize I should re-title the topic because the chrome "E" isn't a separate metal piece as I initially assumed; the whole grille is ABS plastic and the chrome section can't be removed.

Last edited:
@Vadar87 That picture your posted is an 86 T type grill, not a GN grill. Notice the 3 thicker bars on each side of the center bar. Dead give away.

Yea It is from a t-type. My car is a 1985 GN so is the the same as the 86 grille?

I want to safely remove it, not re-chrome it. Telling someone to Google something isn't helpful advice. I work in I.T. and Google the sh!t out of everything, not to mention spending hours every day reading through this forum.

EDIT: I realize I should re-title the topic because the chrome "E" isn't a separate metal piece as I initially assumed; the whole grille is ABS plastic and the chrome section can't be removed.
Well, you do say rechrome in your first post. Glad you can Google, you must be so talented.:notworthy:

Yea It is from a t-type. My car is a 1985 GN so is the the same as the 86 grille?

Color wise yes, it's the same. But as I said a GN grill won't have those 3 thicker bars on each side of the center bar.