Possible reproduction of headers for STAGE II heads!

Thumbs up for Rob at Rigid Race cars; fantastic stand up guy great for the Buick community. Dave and several TSO guys run his product including a few metro Detroit street driven Buicks. Nic good luck with the new build the work you have done on the T is great it will be really sweet with a stage II motor.

Ok guys, sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation. I did receive a set of headers from a member here to use as jig. I thank you for stepping up and doing that. I was asked by the company that said they will get these made to make sure that it fits fine and it the header flange clears all the head studs. I am able to do so because my Stage II long block is sitting on an engine stand. The Driver side is perfect how ever, the Passenger side header flange was cut/warped and it will not align properly. All the Stage II ATR headers that I have ran into has thinner flanges on the passenger side for some reason and they warp. I have seen guys add an extra flange to the existing flange to give it stability and strength. I called RJC since they did make stage II header flange. I was told they are out of stock and it will be around four weeks or so I waited then when I called they said another four weeks.

Well the gentleman who sent me the headers was kind enough to send me the spacer flange they used on the Indy or Bush engines. I have it at a welding shop near me having them weld on to the existing flange and align the bolt holes. The flange is so warped that I can only get #6 cyl bolt holes to line up. I was told that they will tack the flange on first in the rear side or #6cyl side then heat up the other two runners to move it over and align properly.
That’s where we stand right now. I called them this morning and I was told that I should have them back by some time early next week.

I was also told by the company that we are looking at 3-4 months once they ship them out to out to the manufacturer. I am sure it’s in China some where but at this point we have no other options.

I have passed on all the improvement recommendations that I was told. If you guys have any more, please let me know.

Thanks for the interest and support.

Prasad:cool:

Ok guys, sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation. I did receive a set of headers from a member here to use as jig. I thank you for stepping up and doing that. I was asked by the company that said they will get these made to make sure that it fits fine and it the header flange clears all the head studs. I am able to do so because my Stage II long block is sitting on an engine stand. The Driver side is perfect how ever, the Passenger side header flange was cut/warped and it will not align properly. All the Stage II ATR headers that I have ran into has thinner flanges on the passenger side for some reason and they warp. I have seen guys add an extra flange to the existing flange to give it stability and strength. I called RJC since they did make stage II header flange. I was told they are out of stock and it will be around four weeks or so I waited then when I called they said another four weeks.

Well the gentleman who sent me the headers was kind enough to send me the spacer flange they used on the Indy or Bush engines. I have it at a welding shop near me having them weld on to the existing flange and align the bolt holes. The flange is so warped that I can only get #6 cyl bolt holes to line up. I was told that they will tack the flange on first in the rear side or #6cyl side then heat up the other two runners to move it over and align properly.
That’s where we stand right now. I called them this morning and I was told that I should have them back by some time early next week.

I was also told by the company that we are looking at 3-4 months once they ship them out to out to the manufacturer. I am sure it’s in China some where but at this point we have no other options.

I have passed on all the improvement recommendations that I was told. If you guys have any more, please let me know.

Thanks for the interest and support.

Prasad:cool:

Hey Prasad,

I would like to you thank for all the hard work getting these done for us, you are a true ambassador to this hobby of ours, and are helping to extend the life of these cars, because with out affordable parts a lot of these car would simply get park.

now if we could only find someone to make an intake :wink::biggrin:

Thanks
Dave

Is it a Zee Copier?

I watched a show on the tube, concerned a 3D composite copier Jay Lenno had in his shop.
The demonstration made a crescent wrench that was fully functional in short order...! :eek:
I'm wondering when it will hit the main stream market for availability?
If you have never seen this thing in action, it's truly a piece of technology (that in my wildest dreams, I never would have imagined).

I know it will put a few people out of business in the cast and die industry.

Wonder if it could make a intake?

"Wonder if it could make a intake?"

I saw the same vid. I don't know why not. If if can be scanned as the wrench was, it should work..
As for headers...here's a NEAT way to mock them up and then have them bent on a cnc bender...[Or, make them in a small shop, like mine.]:cool:
NOT for someone that's doing 1 set, but would be killer for custom headers.............................................. LIKE LSX's in GN's!!:D:p

icengineworks, precision exhaust header modeling systems

I'd entertain doing a few swaps for the local guys, w/ GN's regular G bodies, etc.;)

Ok guys here is a little update, as you know a member here on the board was gracious enough to send me a set of headers that needed some work. It had issues with the passenger side header flange, it was split, warped and shifted to a point it needed a new flange and cut and re-align the number to two primary tube. Well I waited and waited for RJC to make them as they were out of stock. Well the same gracious member send me what he had on hand, they were not actual flanges but they were spacers that Buick used with the headers on their Bush and Indy cars. I took them to a shop and had them weld it on the to passenger side header and re-aligned the bolt holes and the #2 primary tube. They were tack welded on, not fully welded and sent them over to the vendor.

The vendor that is willing to have these reproduced looked at them and said this is not going to fly, we are going to have to fix these headers with the proper flanges and make them right so that the jig will be done right. As I mentioned earlier, this going some where in China so it’s important that we give them something that is correct otherwise it may not line up. Well, thanks to Mean Mike here on the board, I was able to purchase two new flanges and get them over to the vendor. He is going to remove the old flanges and weld the new flange directly to the tubes which is going to take some work and time.

That’s where we stand now, the vendor said it maybe around January before it makes it to China and not sure how long it will take for them to turn it around. I assume it will be another 3-4 months. We had something else made over in China and it only took three months so I am keeping my fingers closed.

At this point we have no other options when it comes to Stage II headers. We wouldn’t know if we didn’t try so hang in there boys!!!

Thanks
Prasad

I am in for a set. I have a destroyed set of ATR`s that the person sawed off the Flange section. I am not doing anything with these. I have a Deep Pan so the crossover would have to be re-arranged. But I can do that..
So add me in for a set..

Joe

from what i understand they should look or similar to ATR with some improvements, should look somewhat like the ones below, but don't quote me on it

ATR Stage II Headers..jpg

Well guys here is the latest, the vendor that took up on the project had to switch his manufacturer. I don’t remember if they closed down or quality issues. Since he switched to a different manufacturer, he had a batch of production style headers made first to see if they are capable of make a good product. He said he was extremely pleased with the first batch he just received. Now that's out the way, he said he is going to proceed with the stage II headers. Still not sure about the time frame yet but from what I was told we are closer than ever. I am just happy that it’s still moving forward.
HTH
Prasad