Possible reproduction of headers for STAGE II heads!

WIKEDV6

Possible reproduction of headers for STAGE II heads!

Hey guys since no one makes headers for STAGE II heads anymore, we are looking to making 10 -20 sets of headers maybe more. I know for a fact all the cars that I will put together going forward will be stage II headed. I am sure there will be more cars out there with stage II heads if the headers were available. Right now there are three guys looking to buy a set and no one has it. Also considering the fact how cheap the stage II top end are going in comparison the Champion or TA heads, I think it will be a no brainer.
So what we are looking for is a cracked or non repairable set of headers for Stage II heads. Preferably made by ATR, CCP or any other company that we can use as a jig for production. If anyone has anything PM me with a fair price, chances are they will be cut up and what not thus the reason we are looking for a cracked or a bad set.

We all know that you can get anything custom made if you dish out cash but we are looking to get it done so that everyone can afford it.

Thanks

Prasad:)

If they fit AC and stock heater box I maybe interested in a set. ALong with stock turbo location and 4 bolt.

If they fit AC and stock heater box I maybe interested in a set. ALong with stock turbo location and 4 bolt.

Even with the ATR headers, we had to modify the heater box and core with that kidney plate and a thinner heater core. So I am hoping this would be the same way.

Prasad:)

I see, I have no experience with stage 2 heads, so maybe its not possible to use the stock ac box?

stage 2 headers

Good deal p diddy us guys really digg what your doing to make stuff more affordable and u have help me big time in my quest to do a stage 2 project and were getting closer now thanks buddy

Prasad, that's a great idea! Congrats and good luck. My ATRs are on the car, so I can't help out with a jig. Sorry.

Something you might think about is an accessory A/C support arm.

I was in a hurry to get my S2 in the car, and didn't take the time to have some sort of header-flange-to-main-accessory-bracket support, like the stock setup. So I ditched the A/C rather than deal with a cracked aluminum main bracket.

Just a thought.

I see, I have no experience with stage 2 heads, so maybe its not possible to use the stock ac box?

Check out this link, this what ATR sold if you wanted to keep your heater box...I have the kit but I have not installed it yet. I assume it's the head and valve cover that gets in the way. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. You have to modify the heater box with a thinner heater core thus gain space to cut the heater box and install the sunk in kidney plate to make the necessary clearance for the head/valve cover. I think the headers will clear without doing this modification. I also think this kit from ATR is a good idea for any GN to gain room around the valve covers to gain easy access to adjust them if you run solid rollers and what not. I had my ATR kit with someone to remanufacture but he dragged his feet and I got it back before it disappeared. My buddy “Fatride” here on the board said that Summit Racing has similar heater core available . If that is the case the fiber glass piece is not that hard to make.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/stage-ii-tech/308396-atr-style-heater-core-needed.html

HTH
Prasad:cool:

Good deal p diddy us guys really digg what your doing to make stuff more affordable and u have help me big time in my quest to do a stage 2 project and were getting closer now thanks buddy

Anytime brother, I am just passing on the knowledge that was passed on to me by, Mike from FT, OC, Mike Bhooer, Mac and so on. If it wasn't fore these guys sharing their passion and knowledge, I would be still running around like a chicken with its heads cut off.

Prasad, that's a great idea! Congrats and good luck. My ATRs are on the car, so I can't help out with a jig. Sorry.

Something you might think about is an accessory A/C support arm.

I was in a hurry to get my S2 in the car, and didn't take the time to have some sort of header-flange-to-main-accessory-bracket support, like the stock setup. So I ditched the A/C rather than deal with a cracked aluminum main bracket.

Just a thought.

Hey Mac how is it going?....Can you please elaborate on the Accessory support? I am a little slow..lol.. I thought that we can use the stock accessory bracket with stage II heads. Are you suggesting a L bracket off the AC compressor to the header like the stock one?

Thanks

Prassad a guy was selling a custom set from the same lot that I got mine from. Chris Connely had 8-10 sets made after the ATR's with some improvements. I know one thing they wont be cheap to make.

I have a set of those as well never used.

I might be willing to sell them... I have to dig them out of the parts room :) LOL

I will think about it. :)

Hey Mac how is it going?....Can you please elaborate on the Accessory support? I am a little slow..lol.. I thought that we can use the stock accessory bracket with stage II heads. Are you suggesting a L bracket off the AC compressor to the header like the stock one?

Thanks

Doin' well, Prasad, thanks!

Yup, like the stock L bracket, only adapted to the S2 exhaust flange. The bolts on the S2 are 90 degrees off from stock ports.

You can use the aluminum stock accessory bracket with the S2 heads, but it's not strong enough for use with that heavy A/C compressor for very long...it'll crack. Maybe it would make more sense just to have a main bracket made of steel (I saw one on White Racing's website some years ago.)

Also, I have one of the old ATR kidney plate kits for the heater box. You're right - it makes room for the head / valve cover. The S2 heads won't fit in there without making room, as they're a lot taller than stockers. I can tell you that with that ATR kit, there's more room for an S2 head than an unmodified heater box with stock heads.

Great stuff, Prasad. :)

Prassad a guy was selling a custom set from the same lot that I got mine from. Chris Connely had 8-10 sets made after the ATR's with some improvements. I know one thing they wont be cheap to make.

Hey Scott, what’s up?
In all reality, I am thinking these headers will be made some where in China, so I am hoping it will be cheaper than what ATR and Connely's. It is better than not having an option at all or pay out of our a$$ for a set. If the sets are test fitted and double check for everything including the head bolt clearance before shipping to a customer just like some of the venders do with the Chinese headers, I think we have a chance of getting a decent product verses no option at all or taking out a second mortgage on the house.

PS. I have a set of equal length tuned headers that were made some guy named Earl from Indiana. It only has dyno time on it. The car owner was involved in a nasty divorce and sold all the parts off the car. Earl was well known for his header work. Any way there were three or four sets made and the one that I have on hand was actually on an ANS performance stage II car with production style heads that made over 1000hp. This is according one of the guys that worked there, I am not sure how true that is; you know some people will just pull a number out of their a$$ for HP numbers. Anyway, the cost of those headers were ........are you guys sitting down? $6,000.

Maybe some day I will post them up here for sale and see what kind of offer I get.I have no use for them. If I don’t sell it, I will have a 6K wall art!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Well, it looks like I have set coming my way.... Lets keep our fingers crossed for a quick production. I need to mock them up on a stage block with heads and head bolts to make it clears everything before I send it out to get them made.

Headers

Hope all goes well with your header project. I have had a few sets of custom stage 2 headers made over the years and by far the best set is made by Rob Lewis at Rigid Racecars. He built me a new set of headers this winter. He built the ones on Tony Gomes car, just did a set for Bobby Don and George Thomsen. These are made of 321 stainless which is the only way to go in my opinion , it cost more but this added cost is worth it. Tony has been very pleased with his headers and so have I. We were the first guys to go in the 7's with stock suspension gns, that takes alot of boost and heat ,the headers have held up great. Custom headers aren't cheap but let me say that you get what you pay for.

Dave Fiscus

Thanks Dave!!

Hope all goes well with your header project. I have had a few sets of custom stage 2 headers made over the years and by far the best set is made by Rob Lewis at Rigid Racecars. He built me a new set of headers this winter. He built the ones on Tony Gomes car, just did a set for Bobby Don and George Thomsen. These are made of 321 stainless which is the only way to go in my opinion , it cost more but this added cost is worth it. Tony has been very pleased with his headers and so have I. We were the first guys to go in the 7's with stock suspension gns, that takes alot of boost and heat ,the headers have held up great. Custom headers aren't cheap but let me say that you get what you pay for.

Dave Fiscus

Thanks Dave for your input, it's alway great to hear from people that have done it. We will see if we can get that done in 321 stainless!