Ported elbow beneficial?

spoolinV6

I've been told that unless you have money to spend, there is really no reason to upgrade the stock downpipe unless your car is running in the 11's. I heard a ported elbow is a cheap substitute. Is it worth getting?

You can port the elbow yourself. Not a hard thing to do but getting a true 2.5" down pipe will give you benifits as well. Going to a 3" may be over kill but it will allow for less restriction in the system which will allow the turbo to spool better. That's the main reasons to do the mods.

You can gain roughly half of a what a 3" dp with wastegate will give you with some careful cleanup of the stock elbow on a car that has enough power to run low 12's. If i remember correctly the 3" dp with gate was worth less than 10 hp on a low 12 sec TR. Kind of funny you see people jumping all over them when they gain so little and the $ could be spent elsewhere for more gain. A ported elbow is a good idea imo. If someone wants to send me a stock elbow with larger than stock puck and any dp's ill test it on the dyno and compare it to a 3" with internal and without at a couple different levels of boost to get a gauge of what is worth the most, how much, and at what power level you really start seeing good gains. The test car made 463hp with 93 octane through the mufflers (junk flowmasters) and 93 octane. I will be replacing the junk exhaust on the car with a very good 2.75" design with straight through mufflers and should be close to 485hp with no other changes.

I got a little more than a tenth out of my car going from a totally stock set up to a THDP on my TTA. Running mid 11's at the time. It does seem to spool faster though. So not really a good bang for the buck. Port the elbow if you want to see some gain without spending a lot of money.

I got a little more than a tenth out of my car going from a totally stock set up to a THDP on my TTA. Running mid 11's at the time. It does seem to spool faster though. So not really a good bang for the buck. Port the elbow if you want to see some gain without spending a lot of money.

About $1k for a tenth on a TTA that runs mid 11's.

Interesting...

Subscribed.
I am changing from a 6157 JB to 5857 BB and keeping the restalled D5. Not a big surprise that the turbo is laggy with the current setup.
I have the ported elbow with the larger puck and a stock downpipe.
I have a line on one of the old BGC 2.75 downpipes.
Watching this thread, I hope the 2.75 will be a good compromise for me, since I want to keep the stock un-modified exhaust shield, be reasonably quiet, non-droning and have good flow.
At least that is the plan, for now.

Charlie, I have been looking for a "true" 2.5 downpipe for a while. No luck.

Subscribed. Charlie, I have been looking for a "true" 2.5 downpipe for a while. No luck.

They're out there but you have to be quick. I ended up with a stainless 3" for the project and I have to cut it up so I understand. Take a look in the fabrications section and you'll find one of my guys posted how to make a 2.5" pipe fairly easily. Very easy and doesn't take a lot of skill, just some imagination and hard work.:tongue::biggrin:

I will be replacing the junk exhaust on the car with a very good 2.75" design with straight through mufflers

I seen a popular vendor post that dual 2 3/4 system made more power on the dyno than the single 3.5. That was the main reason they were discontinued.

I seen a popular vendor post that dual 2 3/4 system made more power on the dyno than the single 3.5. That was the main reason they were discontinued.
I doubt it was the same system. This one is a Terry Houston.

I doubt it was the same system. This one is a Terry Houston.

ok. Just clarifying my post... That is why they discontinued the 3.5 single.. because the dual 2.75 made more power on the dyno. Sorry for the d-post.

ok. Just clarifying my post... That is why they discontinued the 3.5 single.. because the dual 2.75 made more power on the dyno. Sorry for the d-post.

The test car must have had a lot of power to see an actual difference. Two 2 3/4 pipes is 37.28 sq in cross section. One 3.5" is 30.19 s in cross section. So the dual is about 20% more flow but you would need to feed it with nearly a 4" to prevent restriction at the ex outlet where its critical. Post up those dyn o results. Did they eliminate mufflers as a variable?

The test car must have had a lot of power to see an actual difference. Two 2 3/4 pipes is 37.28 sq in cross section. One 3.5" is 30.19 s in cross section. So the dual is about 20% more flow but you would need to feed it with nearly a 4" to prevent restriction at the ex outlet where its critical. Post up those dyn o results. Did they eliminate mufflers as a variable?

I am not sure Bison about the dyno numbers. But.. I do not see any 3.5 single system available for a Turbo Buick. Is there?