Portable garage tent

amt-type

I was wondering if this would be a good idea for a winter storage with some tarp on the ground under it. I only have a carport and for some odd reason unknown to me they built it opposite the drive way so you have to do a 20 point turn to even get any kind of vehicle in it. Plus its small as crap. Would this be a good idea. Im still going to start it up and drive it every now and then. I just want to keep it out of the rain and snow if it happens. Thanks for any input.

Oh it rained for a week straight last week and water came in from under the driverside firewall I think and had a crap ton of water on the floor and the back window isnt sealed all the way. Hence wanting the portable garage.

Sounds much better than being out in the elements. As long as it won't get blown over onto the car, you should be good to go. Time to build a shop/garage, huh?! :)

Get a good car cover and you should be ok. We don't get enough snow around here to worry about. Last year was a fluke and we haven't seen that much snow in 30 years.

Those Harbor Freight "garages" scare me. I would be more concerned about the wind blowing it over on my car or a heavy rain collapsing it on my car.

They are used up here in the Northeast quite a bit. A limo company around the corner from me has been using them for years. I had one in my yard for my buddy's 61 T-Bird show car for 3 years. They come with a pretty good anchoring system and as long as you use it they work great. He got his from Farmtech.

Make sure that if you use one of these portable shelters, you also securely fasten all of the overhead roof poles together in addition to anchoring the shelter to the ground. I store my boat in one of these, and a wind storm moved the shelter around enough that one of the poles over the boat became unattached and could have fallen on the boat if I hadn't caught it before it fell out of the slide in joint on the other side.

Build yourself a wooden platform to park your car on, a little larger than the outdoor tent you have. Then bolt the tent/shelter down to the wooden floor you made....the weight of the car on the wooden floor insures that the shelter will not move around since it's bolted to the floof itself. This is what I did. Made the floor out of 12X12 planks of pressure treated wood. Only problem is keeping out the rodents.

Bruce '87 Grand National

OR put plywood down, remove the wheels, with car on 4 jack stands inside the shelter.

Find a place to store it? Maybe some old granny that doesn't drive anymore & has a Garage with no car in it.

The Guys above all mentioned good ideas if it must stay out. Here are a few more.

Add a couple of RAT posion bags along the floor near the tires. Don't put the rat posion in the car cause they might die in it.

If you have OLD SPENT ENGINE OIL. Put some in a squirt can and shoot it all over the underside.

Spray the alum engine parts with WD40 you might need to repeat every other month.

If you can pull your rotors or Baggem to stop rust.

Coat stuff with wax and let it dry with no removal till spring.

get the decantence stuff and place it in the car.

I stored my GN in one of these shelters for a few years. After the first winter I did not like the moisture or critters getting at the car so I bought one of thesehttp://www.carbag.com/buy/car_jacket.html You have to use a regular car cover under the the bag but this thing worked great. No dust/moisture can get in. Worth the $ in my opinion. Just drive the car onto the bottom flap and zip her up.

I stored my GN in one of these shelters for a few years. After the first winter I did not like the moisture or critters getting at the car so I bought one of thesehttp://www.carbag.com/buy/car_jacket.html You have to use a regular car cover under the the bag but this thing worked great. No dust/moisture can get in. Worth the $ in my opinion. Just drive the car onto the bottom flap and zip her up.

I like this idea !! Thanks for sharing ;)

Chuck

Thanks for everyones input. I shouldnt have to worry about rodents cause Ill prob drive it to work once a week as long as its not raining. I just want to keep it out of the rain and possible snow and also keep myself out of the elements if I want to do any work on the car this winter.