Port & Polish Heads - or - "Pro-Pain"

IronEagle119

Out of the two choices, what upgrade gives me the best bang for the buck? I thought about porting my heads since the headgaskets are getting replaced. I'm using the (fresh)stock turbo, injectors, and intercooler(no Duttweiler neck but soon to have one). These are rather expensive upgrades for a 20 yr old college student, so which one do you guys think is a better overall upgrade?

Thx

It's close! About the same HP gain....

Since the heads are already off, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to have them ported. A little toulene in the gas, and you should be able to take advantage of the extra air.

What are your goals for the car? P&p the heads is a gift that keeps on giving.

Propane will make the car faster in the short term on pump gas. P&p heads will make the car faster on race gas. If you plan on getting a bigger turbo and running low 11's do the heads. If you want to stay close to stock (poor college student) and run high 11's and 12's go propane

future mods for the car are new turbo intercooler injectors etc. nothing bigger than a 60 series. I'm planning on low 12's and high 11's when I'm finally done at the track, because there's no room in the near future for a roll cage, it must remain a street car for personal use with excellent driveability. So I've decided to go with propain for the time being, and heads can be done after school if I need/want to. Now with that in mind I'm having my headgaskets replaced along with the rear main seal. how much should this repair cost me. local shop quoted me $450 to do just the gaskets and check the heads replace valve springs plus cost of machine shop on top of that. Now with the all of the above I've called back (3 weeks later) and he says $650 plus machine shop cost. I'm gonn go talk with him in a few minutes about a detail breakdown on the costs. I think for $650 he should have everything done, am I getting a decent deal or is this a bit high, I'm not surebut if anyone has any experiences with these costs feel free to fill me in here.

Thx,
Jason

You might consider putting a timing chain in while you are at it. How many miles are on it? Before you have anyone do any work on your car, you should ask around a good bit, and see who is good. If possible find a turbo Buick guy to do the work. If I had to, I would take the car 200 miles just to make sure it was done right. Try posting in the Lounge section, then if no luck there, in the tech. (if they let you) to find somebody you can rely on.

If you have access to a garage you can get the head gaskets dont for less than $200 total. And it is so much fun

Timing chain is a good idea, also cleaning the IC inside and out while its off. Porting the IC and the elbow off the turbo while its all apart is a good idea also

engine has been rebuilt about 25kmi. ago, so no need for timing chain intercooler has already been cleaned out. There really isn't any turbo Buick guys in my area. I wouldn't mind doing this myself if I had someone to help me with it, but I don't even have acess to the right tools to do the job. Also the tranny was rebuilt about 2 yrs ago now, so no need to go there.

Well I just replaced both Head Gaskets and had the heads machined and the total cost for me to do it all was $162.50, but I already have ARP head bolts and plenty of experience changing my head gaskets (too much) so I didn't have any extra costs.

I would save a little more and do the heads.

You won't alwasys have adother cahnce to do this.

And if your mileage is high, a valve job and porting ,plus as mentioned the timing cover. Would have finished. Then if you ever want to go to larger turbo. It will breathe.

I had a GN, now relaced, that had a 49tturbo, ported heads.
Went 12.18 118, at 17#'s first time out. Too small of injecters.
Stolen,97'

Just adding a thought. Did replace car. And got another one.

So 2 keeps me busy.

HTH'ed.....Look long range. Just my .02 cents worth

I've just decided to seal her back up with the steel shims I have. Putting in new valve springs and having em checked out make suyre they are ok still. I want to be able to drive the car soon becuase summer is here now, no need for it to sit any longer than it has too in nice weather, maybe in the winter I'll get champions :).