Porsche 928

mrtpolson

I have always liked the look of the 928 and was thinking of picking up a cheap used one, maybe for a Chevy or turboBuick swap sometime down the road if the engine goes out on it. Does anyone know of sources for fiberglass body parts for them, decent used parts (transaxle, seats, interior, taillights, etc.)? Stock parts for them are all so outrageously expensive I would probably be kicking myself in the butt later for even buying one. But a 3.8 with a powerstroke ic and some Delphi 50s, a TA-49 or 60, etc. would move a 928 at a decent pace, and after looking at RenegadeHybrids website, fitting one doesn't look too tough.
Thanks,
T

Originally posted by mrtpolson
I have always liked the look of the 928 and was thinking of picking up a cheap used one, maybe for a Chevy or turboBuick swap sometime down the road if the engine goes out on it. Does anyone know of sources for fiberglass body parts for them, decent used parts (transaxle, seats, interior, taillights, etc.)? Stock parts for them are all so outrageously expensive I would probably be kicking myself in the butt later for even buying one. But a 3.8 with a powerstroke ic and some Delphi 50s, a TA-49 or 60, etc. would move a 928 at a decent pace, and after looking at RenegadeHybrids website, fitting one doesn't look too tough.
Thanks,
T

You won't find good ones cheap, and parts are expensive.

They are also pretty heavy.

Nice cars though.... My old boss had a 87 928 S4 with euro-spec gearing.

i too have been looking for one for a while now while i wait to sell my gn. what i have learned the engines are very well built, good for 200k miles easily but need timing belts done every 35-40k miles. yes the parts seem a bit exspensive, 1k fopr a windshied, 300 for plug wires, engine takes 12 quarts of oil too! the 86 and older cars tend to have more electrical problems and less hp too. i'm looking in the 87-91 range and nice ones can be had for 11-15k like turbo regals i'd stay away form the "cheap" ones unless you have alot of money laying around for repairs. theres one on ebay with a bb chevy swap, do a search you'll find it.

I got my ass handed to me by a 928 on the highway a couple years ago. My car was only at 15 psi at WOT for some reason and was a little out of tune, but this thing definitly wasn't stock. I got quite a few more things now inlcuding a nice Cottons frount mount so maybe the outcome would be different now... One of thee days i'll be able to have real boost control from inside the car! :mad: