popping thru intake during cranking !

whtturbot

I just got done having the motor rebuilt. I get the motor back in the car and no luck starting it. I have fuel pressure. The motor has Harland Sharp rockers with a roller cam. I was told the cam was degreed. I have checked the cam sensor twice, i believe it to be set right. So the question is, what would be creating this issue? Can the degreeing of the cam change the cam sensor setting? The motor cranks over but i can hear popping thru the intake tube. I went over one side of the valves and they appear to be lashed correct. Can this be a crank sensor issue? Any help would be great!!!!!

Jeff C,
87 T

Hmmm, cam sensor mis adjustment will cause these symptoms.

Are you comfortable with your cam sensor adjustment routine?

Dave,
I measured 1.45 to the left of the timing mark, verified #1 tdc with valve cover off, set 25 deg past. installed sensor. Followed the turning of the sensor directions accordingly, while watching volt meter, tightend sensor when voltage dropped. Will the cam being advanced affect this procedure? I did have a bolt the was too long going thru the lower pulley, it mad contact with the metal wheel and therfore the wheel touched the crank sensor. The sensor has a rub mark on it but it is not missing pieces. Could that be the problem?

Thanks

Dave,
I measured 1.45 to the left of the timing mark, verified #1 tdc with valve cover off, set 25 deg past. installed sensor. Followed the turning of the sensor directions accordingly, while watching volt meter, tightend sensor when voltage dropped. Will the cam being advanced affect this procedure? I did have a bolt the was too long going thru the lower pulley, it mad contact with the metal wheel and therfore the wheel touched the crank sensor. The sensor has a rub mark on it but it is not missing pieces. Could that be the problem?

Thanks

Cam degree has nothing to do with cam sensor setting. I would verify cam sensor setting. You did rotate the cam sensor CCW to get your voltage drop, correct? Hopefully you didn't knock the sensor ring loose on the damper.

Dave,

Thanks

The sensor could likely be damaged, or the ring mis aligned.

ITS FIXED!!!!! To those who offered advice, id like to say thank you. It was the the crank sensor. It must have gotten screwed up from the bolt that was hitting it. Again thanks for the help.

Jeff C.
87 T