Popping out tail pipe??

thunderace31

Banned
Well I am lost now, Got my new trans in and alky system hooked up! :D and took the car for a ride (well sevral as I had to kinda baby the new trans for the fisrt 100 or so miles) anyway I got on it today for the first time w/ the new trans/stall and alky kit, and damn it went good in first then it started popping right when it shifted to second. Could I have to much alky?? I could smell it a little when I let out of it. had a 320 o2 and 19* of knock! :eek: So I turned it down and tried again seemed a little better but still 2 pops in 2nd then all was good right up to red line. Still 19* of knock and 560 02

Turned it down a little more and only got a 1st gear run but still had 3.3 knock and 780 o2 Am I going in the right direction?? Cab 2 much cause this?? Buddie said he thinks its still burning on the way out or maybe its pushin the extra out and reignighting in the exaust pipe? Dont see it being valve float as the springs are 100lbs on seat and are 3 years old maybe 15,000 miles on them.
I am lost HELP!
Thanks

when you put the new tranny in did you hook up the bunch of ground wires that some cars have bolted to the tranny bellhousing? Some relocate them to the intake or head, but mine were on the tranny.

Turn boost down, confirm alky system is spraying. Tank level should be coming down. If you are having consumption, then the kit is working.

Also you didnt mention what chip is in the car, what your fuel pressure is set at, and a better descript of whats happening with the O2's. Assumming you have an alky chip, and no other issues...

Now roll into the gas in a fixed gear, like 2nd gear and watch your O2's.. they should jump into the 800's.. and when the RPM's come up.. should start going into the lower 800's upper 700's. If you roll into the pedal and see the knock start increasing.. LIFT.

Dont rely on the scanmaster recall as it can record some weird stuff.. you need to monitor knock as the motor builds boost and rpms.. but you cannot have the car spinning tires, shifting, etc.. those things can/will make the motor show knock on the scanmaster.

Your O2 numbers being low means something weird is happening.

Popping can be from being lean, plug gaps too open, overly rich, etc.. you cannot be gambling as to why its popping.. get the boost down, have the motor run cleanly on the scanmaster.. then work on adding boost. The word here is patience.

So to recap, get the car to run without alky lets say 15 PSI. O2's are normal, tranny is shifting as should, there is no issue.. then switch the alky kit on.. run the same boost.. the O2's should now be higher, if so all is well.. next is start working on increasing the boost.. keep your eye on the scanmaster and see the numbers falling as the boost increases... keep going back and forth.. etc..

Post back your results.

Thanks Razor!

I have TT Alky Chip in the car will it be ok to turn the boost down and not run alky ???? Said with the chip not to use it without alky. I know the kit is sprayin cause its suckin the alky down pretty fast. Car is running great at part throtle just at full its doing strange sh*t and not all the time :confused: . Had the alky on the car before the trans with no issues and ran 24-25lbs of boost. So I am going to go back and look for a loose ground also. I a pretty sure we didnt miss anything though :rolleyes: the car sat all winter though and I didnt drain the alky is that bad?? Did I mess up the pump??
I am lost Ill do the above and see what happens and post back later today ;)

For troubleshooting with the alky off, I would dump a gallon of xylene in the gas tank to bring the octane up for safety. The timing in the chip is a little high for pump gas alone (23*), but some cars can get away with it at only 15psi.

don't get on it with the TT alky chip with no alky as there is not enough fuel and too much timing. If you have a street chip stick that in there and see how it does on the lower levels.

edit:looks like eric answered before i could :cool:

Razor said:
The word here is patience.

Hmmmmm, :rolleyes: Julio, you going to take this advice with the new engine? LOL

Just giving you a hard time brother. Listen to Julio he knows.

Ok had the car out and droped the boost to 15-16 rang (As low as I could get it) Left the alky on but turned it down real low. 02's did what you said and 1.9 knock added a little more alky and 0 knock and 780-795 02's all done in 2nd gear runs. So looks like a spark problem?? I will check and change the plus tomorrow I have r32ts in it now. someone said they are a little cold should I go up to the R33TS plugs or is there such a plug??
Also going to look at the wires had to much to do today so I didnt get to this. Also need to run and get more alky as the jug is almost empty :(
Once I find the ign. issue Ill (hopping thats the problem) post again.
and if all goes well well have the boost back up to 20-21 soon. Would love to get back to 24 or 25 though.
Thanks again for all the help guys ;)

Stock heat range plugs gapped down to .032.

Its a street car.. if it were a race car, then we'd mess with colder plugs.

New plugs and wires go a long way.

V6RACER said:
Hmmmmm, :rolleyes: Julio, you going to take this advice with the new engine? LOL

Hey ever heard, "Do as I say, not as I do" :eek:

:biggrin:

Razor said:
Hey ever heard, "Do as I say, not as I do" :eek:

:biggrin:

Yup I have heard it lol. Picking up plugs today wires were new last summer MSD 8.5's Just going to check to make sure nothing got burned or what not :D

Also could the coil pack be causing this issue??

I have done a lot of reading and sounds like it can do some real strange crap when its going bad??? :cool:

Yes the coil pack can cuase a POOOOF when you start putting load/boost on the motor.

Photos of plugs I took out

Ok here are the plugs I took out about 20 min ago and went to the R43TS plugs (Damn auto store didnt have the 44's out!) But these are the ones that were in the car when I got it :D
Also sent Fuel pressure to 45lbs line off. was at 50bls line off before i reset it today. Going for a ride in a few :D
Also going to get a new coil pack and gasket this week since I have no clue if this one could be going bad. :confused:

Attachments

• New items 055.jpg
    New items 055.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 82
  • New items 053.jpg
    New items 053.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 70
  • New items 054.jpg
    New items 054.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 63
  • New items 056.jpg
    New items 056.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
  • New items 057.jpg
    New items 057.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 70
Thats a lot of fuel pressure it had. You may want to drop that a little more for running at lower boost. Like 42-43 ish. 50 was out of line.

Now that FP has been brought down.. watch your O2's.. make sure they dont crash. The alky tank coming down pretty good after running it is a good sign.

Post back.

Also reset your computer after resetting the fuel pressure. And then allow it to relearn the new fuel pressure in your BL numbers of your scanmaster. Take the car out for a ride and make sure the BL numbers are within normal ranges as your driving. +-10 from 128 would be a good starting point. Next time you post, let me know your BL number at idle..

Razor said:
Thats a lot of fuel pressure it had. You may want to drop that a little more for running at lower boost. Like 42-43 ish. 50 was out of line.

Now that FP has been brought down.. watch your O2's.. make sure they dont crash. The alky tank coming down pretty good after running it is a good sign.

Post back.

Also reset your computer after resetting the fuel pressure. And then allow it to relearn the new fuel pressure in your BL numbers of your scanmaster. Take the car out for a ride and make sure the BL numbers are within normal ranges as your driving. +-10 from 128 would be a good starting point. Next time you post, let me know your BL number at idle..

Thanks Razor always a big help!
Dont know if the car will be out again for a while its suposed to get real cold again and rain or snow here the next 5 - 7 days.
Happy Mich weather all over the place this time of year :(
Ill post the #'s when I get them :)