Police shown on tape handcuffing misbehaving 5-year-old

The Mother FORBID anyone at the School to touch her child.

The kid was in Total Freak Mode. What else were they supposed to do? Especially when the Parents wouldn't show!

Whats the big deal about cuffs? Some of you guys are actin' like the kid got Mased...which was about the only other alternative.

The problem with some kids today is the LACK of child abuse.

Thank God I got my Azz beat when I deserved it.

Originally posted by broke1
Kids in the black area's of Birmingham act alot worse than this im sure,guess what,thats ok cause they arent in school with white kids so no one seems to care(either that or the popo is smart enough to know riots would break out instantly if this BS were to go down here).Doesnt seem to be the case here.Seems like shes in a private school,hence the camera's,nice facility's,and uniforms.Doesnt sound like any predominately black school in the nation to me!!!

When did private schools become the only nice ones?

Seems to me it doesn't take much for a parent to put the "fear of God" into a 5 year old and teach them to respect adults. This "parent" must be teaching her child the opposite.

It's a shame that black folks have to view "everything" through the filter of possible racism. I think, to most whites, it's laughable or, in many cases, will get this reaction.......... :rolleyes:. It's obvious to me that most people will go out of there way to be sensitive to minorities. This very perception by blacks that just about any action can be racism, causes far more suspicion and bad feelings by whites, than there would otherwise be.

When I meet someone, I judge them by their actions. If you act like an asshole, it doesn't really matter what color you are. Maybe YOU misread someone's act or someone does something simply because they don't like you. Many times people don't like me. Should I use the Italian excuse? :p I think to myself, "is this guy calling me a WOP?" :mad: Naa....it's not worth it. Instead, I'll just X-off that person. Had this child been white, acting in this manner, would have met the same fate..........and the trailer-trash mother, with ambulance chaser assistance, would also want to sue. ;)

:(

Attachments

• beatdeadhorse5.gif
    beatdeadhorse5.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 132
teachers cant touch a child nowdays or they will get sued-- this girl was way out of control-what are they to do

they did the perfectly proper thing for everyones safety--they called law enforcement in-- the officers brought the situation under control by restraining the problem--- without anyone being injured including the girl--- absolutely the professional and correct way to handle the incident in our sue first, ask questions later world-- and in this case the girl was black, which puts the school authorities in an even more precarious postion lawsuit wise

obviously the mother should be responsible for the damages her child caused--

maybe the mother has the same attitude as broke 1 and she has imparted that to her daughter--

broke one publicly makes a statement supporting killing police officers BUT ANOTHER poster is warned publicly by the administrator of our board---sounds familar in todays pc world

Originally posted by sr71gn
teachers cant touch a child nowdays or they will get sued-- this girl was way out of control-what are they to do

they did the perfectly proper thing for everyones safety--they called law enforcement in-- the officers brought the situation under control by restraining the problem--- without anyone being injured including the girl--- absolutely the professional and correct way to handle the incident in our sue first, ask questions later world-- and in this case the girl was black, which puts the school authorities in an even more precarious postion lawsuit wise

obviously the mother should be responsible for the damages her child caused--

maybe the mother has the same attitude as broke 1 and she has imparted that to her daughter--

broke one publicly makes a statement supporting killing police officers BUT ANOTHER poster is warned publicly by the administrator of our board---sounds familar in todays pc world

Yea,and you ****ing idiots are supporting hurting children and elderly.

I dont care wtf you guys say that happened because that child was black and nothing else.

DONE

Race Card....(ho hum)

Yes GN85, thats was exactly what was I saying.

Sometime it is hard (note hard) not impossible for damn near anyone who is of color to view things as strictly and in an objective manner. I love it when people say "well the world is racist, BUT THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT ISN'T, deal with it." we have been, for an extremely long time. We are suspicious, you would be too, if you've lied to over and over again.

So the first thought that comes to our mind, is that yes, yet another incident, in which we should look at it as just that, that this child was out of control, that she needed to be handcuffed, that she needed an extreme version of a time out.

I'm sorry but the teachers in this scenario failed.

Many of us have no choice but to play Monday morning quarterback......

That's the hat that we have to put on. Besides many others.

Yet, one sentence that has yet to come out of anyone's mouth is this?

What if this was your kid?

I have yet to hear: "I agree and if it was my child I would agree with their decision to call the police?"

Why?

Because as long as its someone else's child, then its understandable? Right?

Easy to explain, to call out the flaws, the differences in what has happened.

To explain why it happened, and why we should see the benefit in "protection?"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Better yet let me paint a scenario for you...one that Ive lived out quite a few times in the classroom myself.

Your child is acting up, acting out, acting a fool whatever.

You get a call, you're on the second shift at your job....you cannot leave, the school is approximately 30-45 minutes away.

You tell the school you cannot leave.

Then after your day of work, you go to the school as usual to pick up your child.

Guess what, your kid is at a police station.

Handcuffed.

For acting out.

Not for pulling a gun, not for stabbing another kid.

But for throwing a 5year old temper tantrum.

But, you'll walk in and say what?

I understand, and the school did what was right?

But let then again, you have raised your children to absolutely, positively, never to behave that way with no exceptions.

Right?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Show some balls, put your own children in the mix.

And see if you disagree or agree then

And please, God please, don't make the mistake of saying that YOU know your child would NEVER act that way?

Then state whether you do or don't?

And don't lie either for the sake of "winning" this argument.

I stated my case and thats my bond.

And John?

I'm anything but sensitive.

Thanks

Steve(Consistently playing the race card as a sensitive black male teacher who is also a father.) Chambers

Still lots of reasons to disagree.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It all comes down to a very few key points actually. First, the parent or parents need to have the kids taken from them and have them go to a year of intense parenting classes. Not the type that teach them to be touchy feely either,

Second, society and government have done their best to get kids into day car, pre school, and after school care so teachers would be babysetters and the main influence in a childs formative years. Parents have been sold a bill of goods that their kids can learn best from "teachers" and that the parents are free to go earn a living one way or another.

Third, the laws have been constructed to the point a teacher that is responsible for the kids learning social skills have no right to punish a child with anything other than time outs and words. The words had also better not "hurt" the childs self esteem either.

This whole incedent just goes to show that the concept of the school system having control of your child from the cradle thru college is a complete and abject failure by any standard.

If you want to know how the kids feel about how they are dumped by their parents and then never be taught right and wrong, listen to the lyrics of their music. Kids WANT to have bounderies set for them and they want to know that there is punishment for doing wrongs.

This whole thing is about a kid that was a danger to herself and others around her. The teacher did not fail at anything. She did the only thing she could do. The failure here is from our socio engineering that can't see past the end of it's own nose at what the big picture is.

Long live the traditional nuclear family. We had far far less of these kinds of problems. If they started to happen, the kids butt would be red and the kid would have to live with the shame she put on herself.

Re: Just a thought

artrenee10,

You complain that the teachers handled the situation wrong, but when asked what you would have done you say this...

Originally posted by artrenee10

How would I have handled that situation???
Better question is that situation never would have happened......
One word-PROACTIVE.........

Cop out.

Answer the question... what would you have done?

Because later in the thread you ask people what they would think if it were their child, then say...

And please, God please, don't make the mistake of saying that YOU know your child would NEVER act that way?

Yet by stating that the situation never would have happened in your classroom you are giving the exact same cop out answer as you beg others not to.

So, as you put it, show some balls... what would you have done?

Unzipping zipper

and showing....not copping out.

I wouldn't have relinquished control.

I wouldn't have called the police on a five year old girl.

I would have stayed a teacher.

Can you tell me what you would have done Blob.

I have balls Blob, I walk into this classroom everyday.

That takes balls.

I admitted that if it had been MY CHILD my response would be no different.

That takes balls.

Show me yours, Ive shown you mine.

Or can you?

Answer the question.

Steve Chambers:rolleyes:

Re: Unzipping zipper

and showing....

:eek: Holy sh*t!! :p :D

Back on topic...

You've only kind of answered the question. The kid's acting out and not listening to anything anybody says. "Remaining a teacher" is a pretty vague plan of attack. Can we be more specific?

And this quote from the article is relevent...

"Do you remember me?" one of them asks Ja'eisha. "I'm the one who told your mom I'd put handcuffs on you."

This is not the first time the cops have been called on this girl so it's not a simple matter of a child "acting out" as you put it. This kid obviously has some severe problems.

I'd like to know specifically what you would do to control a child like that.

And to answer your question... if the police had been out and had already warned me that they would handcuff my kid if she did [fill in the blank] again, then followed through on their threat, I'd be alright with it.

Of course, I'd also be smart enough at that point to realize that either my child is completely uncontrollabe or that I am a total failure as a parent... or both.

Sure.....

Sure....you would be ok with it?
MMHMMMM

I would have let her finish "acting out" then she would have received a "time out" given by me.

And only me.....

If she wanted to tear up the room, bounce off the walls whatever.

My question is when the police officers came in and she was sitting down at a table what reason was there for them to still put the handcuffs on.

She was calm.

Or so I thought.

Or maybe I saw something different.

After she was done acting out, I would have called her parent, then followed the appropriate means of hierarchy. Parent teacher conference, and if that didn't resolve anything. Then I would have politely suggested that she attend another school immediately, considering that this was her second time. If she didn't agree to that I would have filed charges with my superintendent to have the girl expelled if it has been proven without a shadow of a doubt that this child was both a threat to myself, herself, and I received very little to almost no parental support and a threat to the school itself.

Because at this point the girl's mother would have fought it, I would have motioned for an expulsion hearing.

Then I probably would have won.

There were more appropriate means of controlling this situation then having the police being called.

As for the zipper comment, don't get any funny ideas.:cool:

Steve Chambers

That poor little girl has some real metal issues. This would be a good case for the child to take ridalin. They really did not need to cuff her, i think she could've been calmed down by talking to her as the principal of the school was doing.

The mother is in need of help as well, there is only one parent raising this child. The cops should go after the dead beat father and cuff him.

See there is the problem,you would have LET her do her thing then make her sit still for a few minutes.Yeah that will go far.

Yes if it were a white kid it never would make the news,I stand by that.This is not the first kid to get the police called to school on them and handcuffed.This has happened here in Dallas a few times.I didn't hear the outrage then,but nobody heard those stories....HHHMMM.

How is putting handcuffs on a kid hurting her? I doubt she was in any pain from it. She just could not use her hands...BIG DEAL.The hurting a little 5 year old with handcuffs is a crap point.I doubt also that it had anything to do with color.

I would tell my boss to "kiss my ass" if he said i could not leave because my kid was in trouble at school.My kids come first,even when it comes to their discipline.That is because I love them and will nip it in the bud rather than let it fester.That "I can't leave work" crap is an excuse too.

Well, with that response of "letting her finish acting out" is precisely the kind of crap that has lead her to acting that way to start with. Time out is nothing to a kid that is wanting to disrupt everyone else in any way. She got out of participating in class and can now brag about how she had every adult there sucking up to her and letting her get her way. What if her "acting out" continued and she kept breaking school property and more than likely ended up with someone else getting hurt? Who is footing the bill for this spoiled little brat throwing a tantrum?
If this is how a "professional" would handle the situation, it makes it easy to see why she has evolved into such an anti-social little brat.

THERE SHOULD NEVER BE ANY REASON TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE ON CHILDREN OR ELDERLY PEOPLE

Remember the Kentucky school shootings? Everyone always seems to remember Columbine, but not when the younger kids shoot. Elderly people? My Grandfather is 70 and could probably whoop your ass. :p I'm not kidding...

First off, I don't believe a teacher would be enraged about handcuffing a 5 year old. If so, you haven't been in a bad school. I'm seriously looking for a new job because there is no consequences for childrens actions in the public schools around here. I don't even want to teach anymore, just give me something I can make a decent amount of money and I'll move. That's my answer to this... YOU teach them. If you think it's so easy....

BTW, there are middle school children in my school that act this way. It's out of hand. That girl could be acting normal compared to her environment at home. 5 years in that environment and a teacher is suppose to calm her down with candy or counting to five? :rolleyes:

We keep catering to the lowest common demoninator of society it keeps getting worse. It would almost be easer to stop working and start collecting off the government. I teach in a 90% free lunch school, but in a graphing lesson almost 90% have digital cable, multiple cellphones, and 2 or 3 cars. Meanwhile, they get scholarships while the children who's parents work hard don't go to college because they can't afford it. I'm sick of this :mad:

BTW, I took the day off today because my son is sick, but I also need a break. I have a girl in my classroom who intrupts it 24-30 times a day. I've documented this and it's a various degree of interuption up to including cussing me out. You think administration does anything about this? Nope! Slaps on the wrist, and she comes back to school the next day. This is system wide. I know there are better school districts out there, but there are many more bad ones. Thank you political correctness and liberalism for going to far... :mad:

Re: Race Card....(ho hum)

Steve, is this entire response directed at me? Or all the board members? Just looking for clarity.

Yes GN85, thats was exactly what was I saying.

Sometime it is hard (note hard) not impossible for damn near anyone who is of color to view things as strictly and in an objective manner. I love it when people say "well the world is racist, BUT THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT ISN'T, deal with it." we have been, for an extremely long time. We are suspicious, you would be too, if you've lied to over and over again.

So the first thought that comes to our mind, is that yes, yet another incident, in which we should look at it as just that, that this child was out of control, that she needed to be handcuffed, that she needed an extreme version of a time out.

I'm sorry but the teachers in this scenario failed.

Many of us have no choice but to play Monday morning quarterback......

That's the hat that we have to put on. Besides many others.

Yet, one sentence that has yet to come out of anyone's mouth is this?

What if this was your kid?

I have yet to hear: "I agree and if it was my child I would agree with their decision to call the police?"

Why?

Because as long as its someone else's child, then its understandable? Right?

Easy to explain, to call out the flaws, the differences in what has happened.

To explain why it happened, and why we should see the benefit in "protection?"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Better yet let me paint a scenario for you...one that Ive lived out quite a few times in the classroom myself.

Your child is acting up, acting out, acting a fool whatever.

You get a call, you're on the second shift at your job....you cannot leave, the school is approximately 30-45 minutes away.

You tell the school you cannot leave.

Then after your day of work, you go to the school as usual to pick up your child.

Guess what, your kid is at a police station.

Handcuffed.

For acting out.

Not for pulling a gun, not for stabbing another kid.

But for throwing a 5year old temper tantrum.

But, you'll walk in and say what?

I understand, and the school did what was right?

But let then again, you have raised your children to absolutely, positively, never to behave that way with no exceptions.

Right?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Show some balls, put your own children in the mix.

And see if you disagree or agree then

Then state whether you do or don't?

And don't lie either for the sake of "winning" this argument.

I stated my case and thats my bond.

And John?

I'm anything but sensitive.

Thanks

Steve(Consistently playing the race card as a sensitive black male teacher who is also a father.) Chambers

Still lots of reasons to disagree.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Response

Is not directly aimed at you GN85, but I thought I was responding.

At this point, because no one is really agreeing just mostly disagreeing, and stating their point, I think I am done with this thread for the time being.

We all will always see things differently and thats fine. I knew what kind of responses I would receive when I stated what I stated.

As for if it was YOUR CHILDREN, I'm sorry if you think that being put in handcuffs or I'm sorry if you believe your children being put in handcuffs is acceptable.

That's fine.

You stand by your points.

I'll stand by mine.

I truly hope this thread wouldn't/doesn't influence my ability to gain advice, or services via this website.

Thanks
Steve Chambers

But SixGun, let me get this straight. Having your child arrested for throwing a temper tantrum at five years is okay by you?

Then yes, I do wonder what kind of parent you really are.

Re: I think you are taking this out of proportion

And then not leaving it in its perspective as well...............First off, Broke 1 is right, he said merely what I also initially thought at first. That yes, this is a FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL. Do I condone her acting out, no I don't, do I agree with her behavior, absolutely not, would I stomp my child six feet from the ground if he ever even entertained the THOUGHT of acting this way I sure as hell would. Would I agree with the police being called on, my child, YOUR CHILD, anyone's child who is not even able to ride anything but a bicycle with training wheels to be allowed to be put in handcuffs, NO I DON"T.

You reference stomping your child into the ground, but frown upon her being put into handcuffs... ok.

I don't blame her.......for merely not knowing right from wrong. That's why they are called children...ask me how I know:rolleyes:

If you think a 5yr old doesn't know what they're doing, you are making a dangerous assumtion. Yes, they're children. No, they don't have an adult-level of understanding. They still don't need to be treated like infants. I pulled my fair share of weight at the age of 5yrs old, took my punishment like a 5yr old, and grew up as a result of that. A child at the age of 5 knows a fair amout of what's right and what's wrong... the problem is that they have to push the envelope and determine their boundaries.

I blame her mother for obviously not stomping her child six feet from the good earth when she had/has the opportunity to.

Again, with the references to stomping her into the ground. Please explain how that is less "traumatizing" than being restrained by handcuffs. Not to mention the fact that this child obviously had no discipline at home, which is no reason for the rest of the students and faculty to tolerate her ****.

I blame her teachers for not being able to control A FIVE YEAR OLD GIRL. (God she was SOOOOOOOOOOO out of control correct?)

I would like to think the teacher could have done something to prevent the situation from happening, but the fact is that it happened. What else was she supposed to do? All of your answers to this question list nothing but blanket statements about preventative actions and the like. Well, despite all the best preventative actions... **** still happens. What would you do in this situation? Preventative measures don't mean squat when you're faced with something like this.

I blame the police officers for not having the good sense to not traumatize this child, to not have her believe that basically (and believe it or not this is far worse in the long run) that most white people are bad and will try to take her away from her mother if she a way that is uncontrollable (In her five year old mind)

As I mentioned before, I find it hilarious that you label retraint as traumatizing but promote "stomping her into the ground." The mother wasn't there, nor would she even come out, and there was a history with this child. I do agree with a later statement that she may not have needed any restraint by the time the police arrived. The situation should have never gotten to that point, though. Who is going to pay for this girl to work her frustration out, like you recommend? If someone comes into my classroom, office, living room, or car and starts throwing a tantrum and destroying property, you better hope the cops get to her with handcuffs before I do.

Yes, this child should have better parenting. Yes, the teacher should work to prevent situations to escalating like this. However, this particular situation became a reality and needed to be handled. All of your preventative actions don't hold water when the situation actually occurs. Judging by the fact that the mother got a lawyer within 24hrs for her child being restrained, what do you think she would do if her child was expelled for this? She would have gotten an attorney and sued for racial discrimination. You played the original race card. Are white children treated differently than minority children? Absolutely, and it's not right. That does not change the fact that this child, regardles of color or creed, was acting out of control. Most people are afraid to do anything to any children, especially minorities, because of what legal reprocussions may result.

This would have made the news regardless of the race also...
FACT

Far from a fact, but I agree with you. Unfortunately, since the child is a minority, the situation quickly escalates.

And finally I read some of your responses, most were intelligent, some relayed the to me (an african american man btw) just how you really feel about us.........

Let me guess, you have lots of black friends, or you know black people and their children don't act that way RIGHT????????

RIGHT!!!!!

I'm not sure if this remark was made sarcastically or not. Fact is, I know nothing about how you raise your children or how they act. I do know that all of my black friends have parents (together and divorced) that wouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior. I also know that my friends would not instantly assume that this child was restrained for being black. If my child acted like this, I would be at the school before they had a chance to restrain her. And if I couldn't be there, I would fully support them restraining her in a non-destructive manner. Choose to not believe that if you want. I think a lot of your responses are intelligent and well thought-out. Unfortunately, you lean on the race card more than those you accuse. What is not said often has more impact than that which is....