Police double standard

If a cop passing you at 80mph is all you have to be upset over, you have a pretty good life. Why don't you go to his Captain and put in a complaint? Better a cop than some kid in a POS that he can't handle.

Are you talking to me? If so, please read my comment again. The trooper that passes me every morning is on his way to work. He works in Raleigh, passes me in Hillsborough(out of his jurisdiction) in his patrol car. That means he is not in pursuit of anyone, he is not trying to get ahead in traffic to issue a citation, he is just blatantly breaking the law. The reason is because he knows that nobody can give him a ticket. Has he stopped someone for doing the same thing he does everyday and issued a ticket? Most certainly. Is that hypocritical? You bet.

im referring to this post:

" got a ticket for my window tint being too dark. It wasn't quite as dark as the windows of the police car that pulled me over, but they were 2% too dark for the law. How many times have you been passed by a police officer on the highway doing 20+ mph over the speed limit? I get passed by the same one every morning doing no less than 80mph, changing lanes without signaling, tailgating, and talking on the cellphone while checking email on his laptop computer. Must be on his way to a call. Every morning. At the same time."

you were questioning how many times have we been passed by A police officer doing 20+ over the speed limit-- thats what my reply was to

its hard to rely on what you said as fact when you point out all the things he was doing inside his car as he passed you going 80 mph

you also indicate he was a "trooper" which indicates normally a "state trooper" --where does this limit his jurisdiction in different cities---is he out of his state?

how do you know so much about this particular trooper?

Really? So when you drive to work and exceed the speed limit does that mean ur not going to take any speed inforcement while at work when observing a speeding violation? Howbout cops with tinted windows? Does that mean the cop can't enforce tinted window violations either? Cmon..... get real!
Police officers NOT getting citations for breaking traffic laws is simply a courtesy, not a law. And personally, I really don't care too much that this occurs. It is a "perk" to the job. And exceeding the speed limit by a few MPH is no big deal. Most every cop I know "spots" people 10+- MPH. Now cops who blast 20+ MPH over "just because they can" (and yes, some of them do), yea, that's BS in my opinion. Am I going to cry about it and go talk to his superiors to get him in trouble? Doubtful.

As far as window tint goes, the officers I know with blacked out windows don't typically write tickets to people for tint violations. Sometimes you will run across a cop who has a thing for window tint, but for the most part, officers usually have far worse offenses to worry about.

On the subject of front plates, luckily I live in a state that doesn't require them. But the lack of a front plate does seem to be a bit of a petty thing to write a ticket for (once again, in my opinion). Doesn't mean it won't happen. I just doubt writing a front pate ticket suddenly will make the streets of "insert town here" more safe.

As far as cops breaking laws they are employed to enforce, meh... It happens. Sure, it's hypocritical. But what can you do...

Are you talking to me? If so, please read my comment again. The trooper that passes me every morning is on his way to work. He works in Raleigh, passes me in Hillsborough(out of his jurisdiction) in his patrol car. That means he is not in pursuit of anyone, he is not trying to get ahead in traffic to issue a citation, he is just blatantly breaking the law. The reason is because he knows that nobody can give him a ticket. Has he stopped someone for doing the same thing he does everyday and issued a ticket? Most certainly. Is that hypocritical? You bet.

Hypothetically what would upset you more, the Trooper passing you in excess of the speed limit, or being the first in line behind the Trooper as he travels 40 plus miles at exactly the posted speed limit ?

Hypothetically what would upset you more, the Trooper passing you in excess of the speed limit, or being the first in line behind the Trooper as he travels 40 plus miles at exactly the posted speed limit ?

We would both be doing the same speed, so it wouldn't bother me any. What bothers me is that some police officers are above the law and write tickets for offenses they commit several times a day. I am not referring to officers responding to a call or in pursuit of course, I understand that sometimes it is necessary to break the law in order to catch a criminal. What I am referring to is like in the video when a police officer writes someone a ticket for not having a front license plate on his car and then not having one on the front of his own personal car either. Or the idiot that passes me every morning writing someone a ticket for doing 10mph over the speed limit when he is doing 20+ over the speed limit on a regular basis.

im referring to this post:

" got a ticket for my window tint being too dark. It wasn't quite as dark as the windows of the police car that pulled me over, but they were 2% too dark for the law. How many times have you been passed by a police officer on the highway doing 20+ mph over the speed limit? I get passed by the same one every morning doing no less than 80mph, changing lanes without signaling, tailgating, and talking on the cellphone while checking email on his laptop computer. Must be on his way to a call. Every morning. At the same time."

you were questioning how many times have we been passed by A police officer doing 20+ over the speed limit-- thats what my reply was to

its hard to rely on what you said as fact when you point out all the things he was doing inside his car as he passed you going 80 mph

you also indicate he was a "trooper" which indicates normally a "state trooper" --where does this limit his jurisdiction in different cities---is he out of his state?

how do you know so much about this particular trooper?

In NC, State troopers are assigned areas. There are several areas in each county. Sometimes when I get to work early, he passes me at the last Durham county exit which would tell me that he must work in Wake county. While he could probably pull me over anywhere in the state, he would have to be checked in to write me a citation. I suppose he could do that if I really irritated him, however his captain would not be impressed when he would have to go to court 3 counties over. It is easy to tell that someone is on the phone and changing lanes without signaling when they pass you every morning. I can also see the screen is lit on his computer, I was exaggerating about checking email, my eyes aren't that good.

As a city cop in NE Las Vegas, my window tint is multiple layered limo tint. Not once in 3 years have i wrote anyone for window tint nor do I plan on doing so. Speeding tickets I dont write b/c we have traffic units who have a quota and write them, I do not b/c I work patrol! My main gripes are people who do not have insurance or drivers license on their person or in their vehicle. We pay outrageous liability insurance in Nevada (Mine alone went up more than double what i used to pay).

I do understand the gripes people have with us. When im running hot to a call to back a partner of mine on a violent robbery in progress, or domestic violence you can bet i will break multiple traffic laws. GUARANTEED! But understand the circumstances. You would do the same as my partners are all I have to help me out and ditto I am to them. In Vegas especially with transients and our city ranked high in most all violent crimes, some like domestic violence/fatalities of dv and suicides and auto theft im pretty sure we rank #1 in nation for last few years. We deal with a lot of pos!:mad: But this is what I signed up for, and I dont regret one bit b/c I trully do love this job!

This job is like any other! You work with people you like and others you dont for a variety of reasons. If you graduated the academy with some its amazing what a gun and badge does to someone and how it changes them! Sure i like it but i dont act an ahole to people just b/c of my line of work. i enjoy going out with friends, car events (sucks on west coast lack of buick events compared to when i lived in ohio) and other things when im not at work. i leave work at work! some people dont and i apologize to those who deal with bad cops trust me i deal with them a lot!;)

i would never give anyone a ticket for no front plate unless it was to establish probable cause --for a real crime arrest--

as far as the guy complaining about the police going over the speed limit--hes ridiculous--its none of his business how fast or slow a police officer is driving--he doesnt have to follow the speed limits--its just another method of moving up and identifying speeding vehicles--the guy should grow up before his attitude gets him in real trouble

WOW.

So the law sets a speed limit that the police are to enforce, but the police, according to you, get to move the line on that law. I am sure all here understand that during times of emergency, the police can be expected to move fast and not wait for red light and that is why they have, like fire trucks, flashing lights and siren - but me thinks the other poster is talking about simply being late to work...I could be wrong???

Wonder what other areas the police get to do this with? Are there any regulations about how far the police get to move that line?

Are we allowed to talk about this, or does this type of speech need to be suppressed too?

As a city cop in NE Las Vegas, my window tint is multiple layered limo tint. Not once in 3 years have i wrote anyone for window tint nor do I plan on doing so. Speeding tickets I dont write b/c we have traffic units who have a quota and write them, I do not b/c I work patrol! My main gripes are people who do not have insurance or drivers license on their person or in their vehicle. We pay outrageous liability insurance in Nevada (Mine alone went up more than double what i used to pay).

I do understand the gripes people have with us. When im running hot to a call to back a partner of mine on a violent robbery in progress, or domestic violence you can bet i will break multiple traffic laws. GUARANTEED! But understand the circumstances. You would do the same as my partners are all I have to help me out and ditto I am to them. In Vegas especially with transients and our city ranked high in most all violent crimes, some like domestic violence/fatalities of dv and suicides and auto theft im pretty sure we rank #1 in nation for last few years. We deal with a lot of pos!:mad: But this is what I signed up for, and I dont regret one bit b/c I trully do love this job!

This job is like any other! You work with people you like and others you dont for a variety of reasons. If you graduated the academy with some its amazing what a gun and badge does to someone and how it changes them! Sure i like it but i dont act an ahole to people just b/c of my line of work. i enjoy going out with friends, car events (sucks on west coast lack of buick events compared to when i lived in ohio) and other things when im not at work. i leave work at work! some people dont and i apologize to those who deal with bad cops trust me i deal with them a lot!;)

Well put. Thanks for the job you do. I am not bashing police, many of my very good friends are the fuzz. I can see you understand where I am coming from. I have no problem obeying the law, and expect those sworn in to enforce the laws to obey them also. Everybody understands that there are times when that can't be done.

Lights and siren, of course b/c that is department policy. Automatically in our department, we have an accident review board that you are automatically in the wrong and pretty much are guilty until proven innocent. if you are running code and get in a wreck and didnt clear that intersection, you are at fault. period.

In NC, State troopers are assigned areas. There are several areas in each county. Sometimes when I get to work early, he passes me at the last Durham county exit which would tell me that he must work in Wake county. While he could probably pull me over anywhere in the state, he would have to be checked in to write me a citation. I suppose he could do that if I really irritated him, however his captain would not be impressed when he would have to go to court 3 counties over. It is easy to tell that someone is on the phone and changing lanes without signaling when they pass you every morning. I can also see the screen is lit on his computer, I was exaggerating about checking email, my eyes aren't that good.

you seem to know nothing and assume everything-- im sure the trooper checks in on his radio as soon as he gets moving in his car--where would you get the idea he cant take enforcement action until he gets to his post==how do you know his command officer might be thrilled if he arrived at his post with six citations already issued?

of course his computer screen is lit as they are all the time--do you know who he is talking to on the phone?

you post is filled with your biased assumptions-- but even if they are all true if the man is a state police officer he is doing a hell of a job and risking his neck for people he doesnt know every day he goes to work-- you dont have a clue

Lights and siren, of course b/c that is department policy. Automatically in our department, we have an accident review board that you are automatically in the wrong and pretty much are guilty until proven innocent. if you are running code and get in a wreck and didnt clear that intersection, you are at fault. period.

hopefully this is your"official description" under those circumstances--as we all know when one of ours is in trouble anything goes

WOW.

So the law sets a speed limit that the police are to enforce, but the police, according to you, get to move the line on that law. I am sure all here understand that during times of emergency, the police can be expected to move fast and not wait for red light and that is why they have, like fire trucks, flashing lights and siren - but me thinks the other poster is talking about simply being late to work...I could be wrong???

Wonder what other areas the police get to do this with? Are there any regulations about how far the police get to move that line?

Are we allowed to talk about this, or does this type of speech need to be suppressed too?

there are many times if you work a high crime area where you have to move fast to get your job done--that means catch the bad guys--they really dont mostly qualify as" emergency runs"

you may not like it but if you ever worked with a real big city crew you would understand why they really cant be expected to follow "traffic laws" and i mean only traffic laws and would never condone the breaking of other laws

you seem to know nothing and assume everything-- im sure the trooper checks in on his radio as soon as he gets moving in his car--where would you get the idea he cant take enforcement action until he gets to his post==how do you know his command officer might be thrilled if he arrived at his post with six citations already issued?

of course his computer screen is lit as they are all the time--do you know who he is talking to on the phone?

you post is filled with your biased assumptions-- but even if they are all true if the man is a state police officer he is doing a hell of a job and risking his neck for people he doesnt know every day he goes to work-- you dont have a clue

OK. Lets make another assumption then, since apparently I am so good at that. You are a police officer that breaks laws on a daily basis. You feel you are above the law and have no problem writing citations to people that drive their cars the same way you drive your personal car and your patrol car when you are not on a call. Your car does not pass inspection, but you don't care; you have a badge. You don't use turn signals, tailgate, cross center lines, speed, and generally drive like a moron. If you see anybody else doing these things, you pull them over and write a ticket. My question for you, the police officer that is above the law and sets examples for criminals is: where do you draw the line? 100mph on the way to Dunkin Donuts? Larceny? Assault? Extortion? Breaking and entering? Drunk driving? Lucky for the general public, most of the police are not like you. Most of the police lead by example and apprehend those that break the law. It is inexcusable for the police to take advantage of their positions and break the law. Again, nobody is talking about traffic laws when on a call or in pursuit.
I would be willing to bet that his superior officer would not be happy with this guy writing tickets 30 miles and 3 counties away from the area he is assigned to.
Who cares about his computer screen being lit? Again, I was exaggerating about checking email. Who the hell cares who he is talking to on the phone, that is not against the law in NC. Although, if he was paying more attention, he would probably remember to use turn signals, not tailgate, not drive 20+mph over the speed limit, etc.
Now you are making assumptions. How do you know he is doing a hell of a job? The only thing you know about him is that he breaks no less than 4 traffic laws every morning while not on a call or in pursuit. I can't even imagine how he drives when he is in his own unmarked car.

WOW.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Everybody understands that the police can't always follow traffic laws. What I am pissed about is the guy that passes me every morning breaking no less than 4 traffic laws ON HIS WAY TO WORK. Not a call. Not chasing somebody. What I am talking about is the officer in the video that writes tickets for the same crimes he commits. NOT THE FACT THAT HIS PATROL CAR HAS NO FRONT PLATE. Blown&Injected, you are exactly right; how is this so hard to understand for some?