plug wire core choice?

oddiesGN

I'm going to get me some plug wires that you cut yourself so I can cut to the right length. There are so many different types of cores to choose from. What type core is the one to get and what should the ohms of the wires be? Whats the better brands to get. What has others used?

Thanks, Otes

MSD all the way. I got a cheap kit from AZ. I can't remember what it was for but it was straight boot with mixed ends. 8.5MM, nothing hardcore. My car isn't quick enough for all out race wires.

Nix

I think I paid $70 for my MSDs when I first bought my GN. They were application specific and brand new.

Hope this helps.

So does it matter if its copper core or steal core? Which one has the least amount of resistance?

An actual wire core will send out a EM signal so do your research before you get them. If you get solid core wires you may have issues with electronics in the car.

Make that Moroso Ultra 40. I like MSD alot but it is what it is.

I can't find any that's for the buick 6. What part # did you use or did you just cut your own to length?

An actual wire core will send out a EM signal so do your research before you get them. If you get solid core wires you may have issues with electronics in the car.

Thanks, I'll have to stay away from the solid core wires.

Thanks, Otes.

Just buy the Ultra 40 Universal with the straight plug boot. ICE Ignition has the lowest ohm readings with Moroso coming in 2nd.

Shane at High Boost Wires are the very BEST!!!!!!

Proven to be the best!!!

JD

I need a new set, I'm getting ready to do some research. I didn't think about EMI, and to a lesser extent RFI suppression from plug wires.

If I was you I would go over to Yellowbullet.com and look up Firecore50 plug wire in the search engine and read all the post on them. There is PAGES on them and not one bad thing about them. They will custom make set to your specs or you can buy the ones that they make for our cars. They are different lengths than stock, I think they are a little longer to clear tall valve covers.

Oh ya they run $109 for our cars. I dont want to flame anyone. Just do the research and make your choice.

If I was you I would go over to Yellowbullet.com and look up Firecore50 plug wire in the search engine and read all the post on them. There is PAGES on them and not one bad thing about them. They will custom make set to your specs or you can buy the ones that they make for our cars. They are different lengths than stock, I think they are a little longer to clear tall valve covers.

Oh ya they run $109 for our cars. I dont want to flame anyone. Just do the research and make your choice.

Thanks, my research is done. However, I did do a little reading on non solid core plug wires and there was a claim that certain types didn't suppress EMI and RFI. As I read on, I realized that I was reading a sales article LOL. I'll checkout the Firecore50 plug. Mine plug wires are getting old. I need a good set.

Many choices,I look for a wire with a positive click after they have been on and off a few times and a boot that does not stick.:eek: The resistance thing is just a selling tool.All good name brand wires will show no diff on a dyno:confused:

Kevin

Many choices,I look for a wire with a positive click after they have been on and off a few times and a boot that does not stick.:eek: The resistance thing is just a selling tool.All good name brand wires will show no diff on a dyno:confused:

Kevin

I think engineers have done a lot of design work for us, so their company can sale decent plug wires that you can't tune into and hear on your AM band. They're just a bit on the expensive side.

The one reason I brought up the RFI/EM issue is because years ago solid wire was not safe for street use. The signal from them can cause explosives to go off. Not a very likely chance but it also can cause issues with comunications equipment and operating systems some times.

Theres all these different sizes 8mm to 11mm or so. Whats all that about is it just the insulation or is the core bigger. Is bigger better when it comes to plug wires or will the smaller ones work just as good.

Thanks, Otes.

The larger wires in my opinion are just cool guy parts.I would sooner change the 8mm more often.I have used a few sets of the streetfire and am very impressed for the$$

Kevin