PLEASE HELP!!!! very disappointing day at the track

Nas-T-V6

Went to the track for the first time since last year yesturday. Car ran alot worse than I expected. Last years best time was.....
13.3@ 102
Mind you this was on...
Completely stock long block, stock turbo and IC, stock converter, slipping tranny, and 009 inectors. running Jay C street chip and 18 psi of boost.

Over the past winter I did the following....
TE-45, Eastern FM, 55# injectors, art Carr 3500 non lock, street/strip tranny rebuild, power plate, reds street and race chips.

I was all gung ho about the first pass to see what it could do.
with race chip in, and about 18 psi of boost the car ran a 13.9@98.

I was completly shocked, i spent 8K to go 5 tenths and 4 mph slower? WTF im completely lost. o2's were at about 830. 0 knock retard on 110 octane. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You would run better with a street chip with that kind of boost.I have run in the mid 12s range on 16# and 93 octane.Why would you use 110 with only 18#?I can run 21 # without knock with 23* of timing in my extender chip without alky and on 93.I say turn the boost up til the o2s are in the 780s.It should run hard then.

I had cranked the boost up to about 20-21 lbs. on some runs. car didnt seem to like it. boost kept jumping around from 15-21 lbs, really quickly. I cant figure out what was wrong. I put the street chip back in and not much of a change. it pulled good until about half track then it kinda fell flat on its face.
thanks,

No mention of 60 ft times? Did you have a lot tire spin off the line? Slicks, street tires? What did you launch at boost wise?

Did you build any boost on the line? Was it slow to reach maximum boost pressure? Maybe the wastegate isn't sealing or is hanging up.

What fuel pressure -- you could be so rich with Reds chips off the bottom that it never clears out down the 1/4.

Are your basic engine parameters OK? BLMs? IACs?

Bad injectors? Bad fuel? Hopefully the ECM has been modified for those injectors!

Is your hose from the MAF to the turbo collasping?

Didn't you drive on the street and feel what ran like before going to the dragstrip? Seat-of-the-pants will tell you quite a lot.

HTH

Ya, lot's and lot's of missing data here!! No scan tool numbers??

Please don't tell us you went out and spent all that money on go fast parts, bolted them on with no tuning AND no scan tool to do any tuning with and expected to just run faster??

Data, data.

Is it one of red's 106 chips, it has to be run over 22# or you'll just flood the engine. With those injectors I hope you have ported heads! 55's are awful big if there's no head work. I second the MAF hose collapse!!! (if it's a hose) had it happen.

I am wondering where the aftermarket 3" DP is? Hope your not using a stock downpipe with stock WG puck.. If you are its not sealing that TE45. At minimum get a modified stocker with a larger wastegate puck. Another note is get the ECM modified for the 55#'s before your ECM overheats. HTH

Mike Banas
87GN

Scan tool #'s seemed to be half decent.
02's... 830
TPS .40 idle..... 4.52 WOT
BLM 118
MAF 255

60' times were bad a few 2.3's a few 2.2, im only running stock 215 radials for now though. I know there bad but, i was running those last time at the track too.

ECM has been modified for the low impedence injectors, and no the heads have not yet been ported, motor is coming out this winter so I should be doing that all at once.
had to lauch most of the time with no boost due to badly spinning tires. lauched once or twice at 1-2 psi. I was really hopeing for at least 110 MPH without proper tuning.

Thanks,

IMHO, your combo is basically mismatched....TE-45, front mount, and 55's are too much for stock heads & cam......let alone street tires

until everything is properly matched up, you'll have a hard time making it run well

you would go faster with a TA-49 & blue tops right now

Gotta put on some slicks, or at least drag radials if you want some lower numbers. Guaranted to be a day and night difference.

Donnie

How bout this??

You have added considerable power, no slicks and then you are blowing the tires off.. That's where the short times, [AND alot of the qtr time] are going up in tire spin. JUST getting the short times to 1.80 will cut something close to 8 tenth off the et. Think what it'll do when the gate stays closed and the boost is where it should be w/ ported heads ..There's some serious added MPH right there.
Trying to launch at zero boost and w/ O2's in the 830's, especially w/ Red's chip, is not going to show you much for your money.
Like everone is telling you.. More boost, tires, tuning. don't get Po'd cause the combo doesn't work the first try!!:D
Boost bounce is most likely that BF turbo blowin the gate off!!;)
What's the rest of the exh system look like?? THDP?, Hi flo cat?.Good mandrel system and hi flo muffs?

Take the car to somebody that knows how to tune TRs and have them help you out cause spending a lot of money on parts and not knowing how to tune your car properly = a sled with 10 second parts!!! I'm not trying to be an a$$hole, but you can't just slap on parts and expect the car to go faster without proper tuning and the stock 215 radials won't help either (when you get everything sorted out get some 28X10.5" Mickey Thompson ET Drag slicks or at least ET Streets).

Woody, there is a guy down here with a TE64-1 turbo (basically the same as the TE45a turbo), 55's, 9" 3500 stall non luck-up converter, Red's 108 chip, and with the stock long block he is running 11.30's @117mph with 26lbs of boost. It would be much easier to get the car to run with a 49 turbo and blue tops, but his combo could run with proper tuning IMO.

Originally posted by azgn
IMHO, your combo is basically mismatched....TE-45, front mount, and 55's are too much for stock heads & cam......let alone street tires

until everything is properly matched up, you'll have a hard time making it run well

you would go faster with a TA-49 & blue tops right now
I don't know I guess I was close to be mismatched too ESP FM/T63E and 40's on bone stock heads and 20 PSI I got an 11.78@113 on ET Streets so it worked for me. Heads and a little cam will definately help for now but you have to run at least 20 PSI, have good tires (slicks) and your exhaust working for you. With the setup you have it should still go 12.0@110 with a little traction with no problems. Good luck!

Granted he may have had some wheelspin, but if that were the major problem, he would have mph'd much better than 98.

There's something else going on as well.

Is the turbo not spooling quickly? Do you have any header leaks, vacuum leaks, etc.?

never said it couldn't run...just a bunch of mismatched parts....you can tune anything to run if you know what you are doing......it is a whole lot easier (and you will go faster) if the combo is properly matched......if you talk to John Craig, he will not recommend a TE45 unless you have better than stock heads...minimum

Hey Woody,

My new motor is nearing completion and my combo is very similar to yours. I was wondering what your car weighs. I have not weighed my car but it is a loaded GN that has not been lightened in any way.

Thanks