Please help me out

burnedice34

Recently my car has been stalling on me when I'm stopping at lights and now it won't even turn over. As I'm stopping it starts shaking and lurching forward. I just dropped the pan and did a tranny oil change to try and fix the problem as it first arose when I added a bit too much tranny oil I believe. Pan wasnt too dirty, no metal. Worked fine last light on the test drive and the fluid level was perfect. Now I'm broken down and won't start. The pump is supplying fuel. It also jumps forward when put into drive. Also hear rattling under the car when it was running but I think it's just the cat bracket as it ran fine before with it. Convertor is a 9 in 2800 stall I believe. I have a TT street chip. Help please!

Won't start meaning it will crank but not turn over or its not even cranking?

Hi,
Let's itemize this problem. You have catastrophic trans failure AND a no start situation? This is pretty unusual. Regarding the no start trouble, is there spark? After that, do you have fuel pressure? You have to do some leg work here, or no help is possible.

ok heres the deal, since i got the car it takes a few seconds of cranking to finally start. When it started stalling most of the time i can start it back up. There have been a few moments where it didnt start for a good ten fifteen minutes but it would always start up eventually. Havent tried cranking it again yet as im at work and i drained it cranking it earlier. It cranks but wont turn over. Yes the pump is turning on with cranking. Lets assume for the time being that it will start when im home. Do you think it is a catalytic convertor locking up issue?

No but it does sound like a Torque converter staying locked up issue possibly

Ok what controls the locking? Is there a solenoid on the convertor or a relay. My dad said he had the problem with the car before but it dissappered for a while until now when topping of the tranny fluid.

Hi,
I reviewed all the posts closely. I am sorry I didn't understand your trouble . You almost certainly have a TCC,or Torque Converter Clutch,issue. The other guy hit the nail on the head. I would be pretty confident in saying that you can replace the TCC solenoid and repair your problem. You will have to drop the pan again,but it is definitely an external repair. As far as the no start stuff,one step at a time,hopefully not too wild.

thanks for pointing me in a direction, any tips on how to replace the solenoid and where I can purchase a replacement

Hi,
I think your local auto parts place will stock the solenoid. If not, in your area are parts places that specialize in transmision parts,and I don't think it costs much more than $20 or so. You can get a pan gasket too, and since you have already changed the filter,you could even save the fluid, if you want to.The solenoid location I don't recall,but it is easily accessible. This is the only electronic part on the trans. Be careful to put the wiring back in place, as you can pinch it when bolting the pan back on. Good luck with your effort.

Hey thank for all the help! Looks like I will be installing a new TCC solenoid when i get off work. Now if it'll just start...

:mad: Wasted my time dropping the pan and locating a solenoid. Finally put got it in today and its still kicking in drive just as hard. Oh, and it starts right up. This car has me utterly lost at this point:confused:

How long have you owned this car did someone at some point install a TC lockup switch? I had one on my car way back in the day to lock the TC at the race track.

My dad had it sitting for a while but he never had one on it, dunno bout the guy before him. I don't believe so but wouldnt there be a way to tell? Wouldn't the solenoid have the switch running to it?

No it would be under the dash somewhere, would go into one of the wires on the ECU, dont remember what color right now but you could search. either that or the TC may be stuck locked up it still sounds like the TC is locked to me.

Yea I am pretty sure the tc is not unlocking whatsoever. Summary is the only gears that it doesn't kick into are reverse and neutral. The others it kicks so hard it stalls. There is not a switch underneath the dash going to the ECU. The problem existed before, disappeared, and reappeared when servicing. The converter was even switched out for another one. Changed the solenoid, same thing. Any other suggestions?

Trans

UNPLUG THE 4 WIRE CONNECTOR AT TRANS THAT WILL ELIMINATE SOLENOID THAN YOU CAN TROUBLE SHOOT FROM THERE! I BELIEVE THE BROWN WIRE WITH BLACK TRACER IS GROUND SIGNAL FROM ECM CHECK TO MAKE SURE ITS NOT BEING GROUNDED OR YOU HAVE ALOT OF METAL IN TRANS KEEPING SOLENOID LATCHED:eek:

While you are checking things check the brake switch. It brakes the TCC circut when you press on the brake.

Check the crank sensor for the starting problem.

Unplugged the 4 wire connector on the trans. and still the same problem. Doesn't that rule out the brake switch and solenoid?

It rules out the brake switch but not the solenoid. I think you ruled out the solenoid by changing it.