Please help...little confused here.

DMM

I have been slowly wrenching on the '87 TR T-Type that I got earlier this summer. I have managed to get it running quite well, although it dumps oil from the front cover (which is next on my list). Anyhow, I am currently replacing the rear steel brake lines, rear brakes, wheel cylinders, axle seals, etc and stumbled across a few things that I was definitely not expecting.

First off, this has aluminum drums...which I thought were somewhat rare especially for a standard white/chrome T-Type. Also, this has a standard open differential. I though every turbo 3.8 TR got a 8.5" posi as standard equipment.

This is an unmolested, all original '87 TR BTW. Nothing has been swapped out, which is what I would initially suspect. The back woods idiot that I bought it from for $1200 inherited it from his uncle (who had it garaged the time he had it) and parked it in front of his trailer to rot after the OE fuel pump relay failed years ago.

I understand that '87 was the "everything goes" year in terms of production run, but there are a few other things that stand out as being odd or out of place on this car and was wondering how many others there are like it.

Not every TR nor GN got posi, standard. Check your RPO codes, I think the posi option was "G80". Not sure about the aluminum drums, but I'm sure someone here will chime in with more information.

1st off i would to welcome you to the darkside :) Just to clear a few things up for you DMM.....If your Turbo Regal is an 87, it's a Turbo T. 86 was the year of the T-Type...There are several differances with 86's and 87's but, for the most part are very much the same....brake drums, bumper supports etc....as far as the rear end goes.....All TR's were not granted posi from the factory....That was an option that you would see on your trunk label G80....So it was probably not ordered. No big deal to purchase and install. If and intercooled TR is what you wanted to buy, 86 or 87 they are the same....85 and older did'nt come intercooled from the factory....I suggest you get alot of books and do ALOT of reading so you can understand this complex machine that you are very lucky to get your hands on ;) kirban performance has many books on our cars, and are a supporting member on this forum....Good luck with your Turbo T :D

Thanks for the replies...one question though. Is the Buick 8.5" rear differential unique from the rest of the GM corporate 8.5" ten bolt rears? There seem to be a LOT of low buck 8.5" posi carriers available with 30 splines, mostly from a Caprice differential. I guess what I am trying to say here...is there a low buck alternative to OE G80 option and aftermarket Eaton carrier?

Thanks again!

I know it kinda hurts to see you don't have a Posi. But you guys have to remember. These are production cars that were on the lot at dealer. Not every owner/ buyer at that time cared or knew about the weight saving options, Posi rears, or t top issues that would plague the owner 25 years later. If it was the right color combo and the price/ car note, it went home with them. Some did spec cars a certain way and getting rare combos or loaded cars. Others got approved for financing far enough above the Monte Carlo SS and Cutlass 442 to ride home in a Turbo Buick!

My low option T didn't come with posi. I do have aluminum drums and bumpwr supports. Go to www.gearsareus.com for a nice Eaton posi. I stayed with 28 spline. Get their install kit too.

Sounds like you found a pretty nice one. Congrats and welcome.

Peter