please help! cant prime oil pump

lucky1

well after having my GN down this winter for some new gaskets, i get every thing done on it, go to prime the oil system... and nothing, no pressure :confused:
we just replaced the timing set,front cover gasket, and oil pan, oil pick up,ect....
we sat sat there for several minutes with the priming tool and drill going both directions and nothing will happen.
i didnt even touch the pump to begin with so i know what is going on.... i'm at my wits end here with this car. can you guys please help me. am i just missing something here or is something broke...

pack the pump with vaseline. we had the same problem here recently:biggrin:

Thats can be a bitch for sure. Did you try to pack the oil pump gears with vasaline?

The easiest method to prime the oil pump with the engine in the car is to disconnect the oil cooler line at the top of the radiator. Pour oil into it until the line is full.

Make sure the oil filter is also full of oil too. Turn the priming tool by hand counter clockwise to fill the pump. Then use the drill to turn the shaft, after you connect the line to the rad. :)

If it does not have oil pressure on the first try, add more oil into the line.

This has always worked for me.:cool:

Just putting this out there. When I crank my car with computer wire disconnected my oil pressure gauge does not show any pressure. This is with an electric gauge. Not sure how you are checking for pressure. Of course, the priming tool will get harder to turn once you get pressure.

Just putting this out there. When I crank my car with computer wire disconnected my oil pressure gauge does not show any pressure. This is with an electric gauge. Not sure how you are checking for pressure. Of course, the priming tool will get harder to turn once you get pressure.

I can get 60lbs on the gauge with the cordless dewalt. What are you using Mark, a screwdriver?

did you change the timing cover gasket. most of the time one of the holes are blocked by the gasket. you most likely have to pull off the cover and check if the hole is blocked. :eek: if it is cut out the hole on the gasket.i bet you that's what it is if you changed the timing cover gasket.

Took the pan off and checked to be sure the pickup was tight with a gasket, and it was. I guess I'll have to try Nick's way before pulling the cover to add vasoline or to check the timing cover. I do remember the gasket having a couple large circles cut in it for the oil passageways though.

I'd try the cooler line trick first, if no good you have an issue. I just primed mine with the GM prime tool and a drill, no 'trick' - no problem.

You lost prime when you spun the drill both directions. When you spend the wrong way you blow the oil out the pickup.

earlbrown You lost prime when you spun the drill both directions. When you spend the wrong way you blow the oil out the pickup.
i would check this first but i bet that its the gasket covering a oil hole on the timing cover. if it is please post it i want to see if I'm right.
hey its the oil man earl brown you did the oil pump mod. great work there are alot of people who want to talk to you. charlief1 i think wanted to ask you something idk. good to see you on the board. keep up the great work

Hmmmmmm

Of all of these posts, nothing about which is the correct direction. I will be doing exactly this in the next few days. I was thinking CW, as that is what I recall of other motors - but I could be remembering wrong, and this V6 could differ. Heck, it differs so much on how much power a little ole V6 can put out, LOL.

Mike

The oil pump runs clockwise.. Turn counter clockwise when filling the line like Nick describes. That will pull the oil into the pump and pickup. Once oil is in the system put the oil line back on and turn clockwise.

Rinse and repeat. ;)

The oil pump runs clockwise.. Turn counter clockwise when filling the line like Nick describes. That will pull the oil into the pump and pickup. Once oil is in the system put the oil line back on and turn clockwise.

Rinse and repeat. ;)

Thanks...

That is exactly what I was thinking !

Mike

hey thanks for all the help again guys :)
we put a nozzle on the oil bottle and squeezed some in there... soon as the pump turned oil shot right out :)

got it all put back together, but discovered a nice little oil leak coming from what i think is the front of the pan :( those rubber gaskets suck.