Please give me your input on mods.

Vipermuscle

Ok gang. New guy here. For the past 14 years i have been into 60s and 70s muscle cars, Dodge Vipers and ls powered cars. I picked up this clean 86 GN to just see what they are all about. Always loved the look and respected what they can do. It has a few mods. Headers, catless mid pipe, thrush cat back, bigger injectors(i dont know what size and niether did the owner before me) they are blue in color. Pretty sure it does have a chip in it. which one i do not know. I will have to take the kick panel off to see this weekend. The car is very sound. Perfect int, drives amazing etc. I was just wondering, what slight mods should i do to give it a little extra edge. I want the car as fast or a little faster then my 06 bolt on Gto. About hight to mid 12s. I mean this car moves out really well and i have to admitt, i was shocked at how quick it was. Thanks guys. I was told this was the site to be for these cars, and the whos who of GN guys are here to help.

It might already be a mid to low 12 car. Take it to the track.

As far as the chip/injectors go, if no one knows, then start over. Get a set of 60's and a TT chip.

Do you know if it has a stock turbo or not? We would really need to nail down your current combo and possibly a base line pass to help.

Things to check for:
fuel pump hot wire kit
chip
what the tranny is - stock, built, converter
Intercooler stock vs. stretch vs front mount
You absolutely need a scan tool. Detonation is your enemy. Try not to run over 15-18 psi on pump gas.

It might already be a mid to low 12 car. Take it to the track.

As far as the chip/injectors go, if no one knows, then start over. Get a set of 60's and a TT chip.

Do you know if it has a stock turbo or not? We would really need to nail down your current combo and possibly a base line pass to help.

Things to check for:
fuel pump hot wire kit
chip
what the tranny is - stock, built, converter
Intercooler stock vs. stretch vs front mount
You absolutely need a scan tool. Detonation is your enemy. Try not to run over 15-18 psi on pump gas.

Ok, yes it is stock turbo. The trans shifts pretty hard from 1st -2nd. Not sure what was done there. It is making around 15 lbs of boost right now. intercooler is stock. Ill know more after this weekend. Some GN guys will be at a show i am going to.

This first thing to do is not rag on your car until you read gnttype.org then do the spring cleaning at The Grand National / T-Type / Turbo Regal Buick Spring Cleaning Guide.

The things to do after spring-cleaning:
Fuel pump upgrade & hot-wired - 150.00
Scantool - 225.00 – Scan Master, Turbo Link, or Direct Scan (Turbo Link & Direct Scan require a computer, Scan Master is self contained)
Adjustable Fuel Pressure gauge that you can read while driving – 75.00
Boost gauge – 50.00
9 in K & N – 45.00
Gutted catalytic convert – free if you can get away with it.
Adjustable waste-gate – DIY or 85.00 new
Turbotweak chip or other chip burner – 75.00

Replace timing chain & valve springs - less than 100.00 if DIY

The above should get you a good running 13 second street car.

To get a 12 second street car:

Stock turbo -no need to upgrade
Stock injectors – no need to change but cleaned – 60.00
Large neck put on stock innercooler - 75.00
Ported elbow on down pipe – DIY or buy for about 40.00
Boxed lower control arms – DIY for about 25.00 or buy for about 85.00
ATR sway bar (could get by without) - 180.00
Nitto DR - 300.00
Alky injection - 450.00

It may take you some time, just keep reading the threads on this site and get to know a few people on our trusted Vender list. Lots of great people to talk too. Good luck and welcome to our crazy world. The first time you eat up a Big Block, you will not go back!

^^^ What those guys said...:cool:

Once the T is ready you'll say Viper schmiper... Welcome to the Darkside.:D

^^^ What those guys said...:cool:

Once the T is ready you'll say Viper schmiper... Welcome to the Darkside.:D

LOL! Thats funny as hell! I keep hearing that from my car buds too. The one guy, when i told him what i bought, just bowed his head and said "Damn it! You know its bad enough that i drive a mustang, now you have to beat up on me with a 6 banger regal!"

Dark side! I love it. Thats why my plates say "SHES EVL":biggrin:

Oh ya and i looked at the chip today and all it said on it was r&n 67 and had a red sticker on it with 93 on it.:confused:

thats probally a red armstrong chip. if injectors are blue their blue tops which are 36lber's. both of these can get you into the 12's, just need proper tune and plenty of fuel. a good down pipe couldn't hurt either,after above cleaning tuning the fuel pump,hot wire kit and 3" downpipe that thing will fly!! good luck and welcome.

For mid to low 12's easy and cheap:
spring cleaning
new fuel pump hot wired
cat delete/cut out
open cone air filter
M/T drag radials
drain fuel tank and pour in 8-10 gallons of leaded race fuel
put in race chip from turbo tweak 20-22psi
Build boost while staging the car and leave at 5-6psi boost
Car should run mid 12's fairly easy

You should consider going in the trans and putting in a recalibration kit and id invest in a scan tool. Preferably a wideband data logger that can be used on your other toys. I have an LM1 and ive used it on at least 20 different cars. Alky injection is good but not needed if you simply want to run a few mid 12 passes and dont drive to much. Imo nothing beats a mild tune on good 110 octane. Getting greedy with alky injection and 93 could be costly. Alky is well worth it if you have a good scan tool and some tuning ability.