Plattsburgh, NY

ronbuick

We are considering moving here in a couple of years, wife wants to be closer too our oldest daughter who is married and lives in Montreal, is this the right site to get some info from you guys about this area and NY in general. We now live in Idaho, so would be interested in taxes, gun ownership and the like,
all info will be appreciated, thanks

Ron

There is a member (fuelie 600) i think ,lives in that area , i am sure he can set you straight.......there are quite a few GN in the montreal area ,,,which is about 1 hour from plattsburg........platsburg is a beautiful place ,right on the edge of lake champlain and the adarondack mountains, but as i live in montreal i cannot tell you about taxes etc.....which part of montreal does your daughter live.bye for now

ron 20 something years ago i used to work there. was very nice back then. cold a$$ winters!

cpac, I can not at this time remember the city name but will get it and let you know, Max, my son in-law is a great kid and works at Birks and manages
a store for them, but I beleive he is leaving to work for Rado which makes high end watches?? which is part of the Swatch Group.
Lenny how are you, at this time it just is a possibility, and yes I'm sure cold a&& winters, but I will be retired, if is too cold just stay inside, but the number one thing is to have a large garage or shop, also is there any drag strips near by??

Ron

Taxes are high anywhere up here in New York.. Gun laws are stricked unless its a pre ban (same as the clinton ban 1994) Just today i went to get some gas and it was 3.34 a gal. man I know fuel is high but New York seems to get every extra penny. You might get more info. by putting this thred in the Northeast part.. Bring your shovel LOL

yes ,there is a dragstrip on the canadian side ,,,about 30 to 40 mins from platsburgh.I read some of your previous threads and i think you will fit right in the platsburg area......WHEN i go to the track with the other GN guys you will always see cars with new york plates,in fact jack cotten came up this summer with (fuelie 600) ,,,fuelie lives in the platsburg area and has a low 10 sec car,,,,met him once ,super nice guy......I know where birks is ,i worked at the first cadillac dealership in montreal ,which was reight down the street from birks 40 YEARS AGO:eek:

The Gun Laws Cant Be To Severe ,the Town Shuts Down During Hunting Season:) :) :) :) Just Kidding ,,,,,????????

Thanks for the info, cpac, I looked at the map and it seem that Laval came too mind where they live, but will need to dbl. check that.

Ron

YES ,I know laval well ,i used to live there...I presently live a little more north,,rosemere,about 10 minutes down the highway....we are really getting a lots of snow this year ,we have not seen this type of weather in the last 30 years,buttttttt the weather in platsburg is always milder and less snow,,,,,,I am fortunate as this e mail is coming from florida ,,I am retired and my wife forces me to spend my winters here,,,,,,

Come on down

Hello Ron
Hope you do decide to come closer to Canada. We will keep you busy running your Buick at the Track. Lot's of Buick Racers up here between Quebec and Ontario boys. And need not forget Brian ( fuelie600 ) and Jack Cotton who might come back again this summer..............RIGHT Jack!!!!
Keep us posted...:smile:

Take Care
Joe

At this time we are just kicking it around, it will be at least 2 years for sure, my youngest daughter is going to U of Idaho Law School, two more years to go, and I beleive she will also be going back to Florida, so all kids will be on the right coast, and will have a place to stay for the winter, payback is such a bitch, lol. But at this time I doubt she knows we will be staying at her place for the winter months. Can you say knock, knock, guess who.

Ron

ADIRONDAC MOUNTAINS in the summer ,florida in the winter,sounds pretty good to me.:cool:

I live about 1hr south of Plattsburg. Cold in the winter but absolutely perfect from April-Dec. Lived in the south for 12yrs and it was nice not to have the hard winter but it was so darn hot and humid in the summer. Moved back to NY state in 06 and other than the winter it is a beautiful place for 8 months out of the year. Taxes are HIGH, guns require a permit for hand guns but rifles and shotguns don't. Taxes are definately a drawback in NY.
Naperville is real close to Plattsburg for dragracing and there is also Lebbanon Valley about 2.5hrs south of Plattsburg. I raced at Naperville in the 70's and it was a neat track back then.

86GN, you say you need a permit for a hand gun, is that a permit to carry one, or just to own one in your own home?? Here in Id. if you want a hand gun and not a felon or anything of the like the gun dealer makes a phone call,
and if all is OK it takes about 5 minutes and you now own a pistol, but you do need a license to carry a concealed weapon here in Id. but if in plain sight it is not a problem, also you can have loaded rifles and shotguns in your vehicle
at all times hidden or not and it is not a crime.

Ron