Pics of my Hotair TA49

Very nice work on both of these. I don’t have the patience to set up something this nicely.

Has anyone tried to hacksaw off the exit; and mig, tig, or epoxy an adapter on to the end of the charge housing? It wouldn’t be near as pretty; but would be a lot less work and would reduce the number of O-rings.

That's all I did. It worked great!

Very nice work on both of these. I don’t have the patience to set up something this nicely.

Has anyone tried to hacksaw off the exit; and mig, tig, or epoxy an adapter on to the end of the charge housing? It wouldn’t be near as pretty; but would be a lot less work and would reduce the number of O-rings.

read the post above yours.

There already available.

A.j.

do all turbos (TA that is) need the newer carbon seal? Anyone selling them in bulk as of yet? I was leaning towards a 62 with a 3000 stall converter for a long time, and now this topic has really piqued my interest!

John

Aj's been working on adapter covers but I think he's hit a snag. I'm sure he'll post the info in the morning for you.

I think dr_frankenstein is refering to is a 87 turbo such as this-- the adapter was welded to the housing and fits the HA cars...

87 Turbo pics 027.jpg

well it was the easiest way....

except its getting hard to find the O-ring adapters.....

I have enough for probably 11 more TA series turbos, but will be out after that. if anybody has a couple they can spare or would sell, please let me know.... the more I can get the more HA upgrade units will be available.

A.j.

I think dr_frankenstein is refering to is a 87 turbo such as this-- the adapter was welded to the housing and fits the HA cars...

View attachment 92513

Read above Mark. He's got a few housings that that are TA units and has welded adaptors to them. Not the 86-87 turbos but units from the upgrades to the 86-87 IC cars.:biggrin:

here

here is mine. i dont have a picture of the inside but its perfectly boared out and smooth. i cut more off the turbo then the adapter.

one day i will sale it. offers are always welcome.

Attachments

• DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 574
here is mine. i dont have a picture of the inside but its perfectly boared out and smooth. i cut more off the turbo then the adapter.

one day i will sale it. offers are always welcome.

I'd buy it for a dollar.:biggrin: LOL

thats right, Im getting the covers adding the O-ring adapter then machining the housing for what ever size wheel desired.

here soon we will be getting the first batch of T04E and T04S carbon seal backing plates. so the size of the turbo will be increasing here soon!

A.j.

Mind if I SUBSCRIBE! I would probably be interested in one of these.. If I can find the money somewhere.

Well, years ago I said I would post some pics of how I did this, and I finally got around to pulling the intake off to modify it for alcohol injection, and put my carbon seal in the turbo, so now was the best time to clean everything up.
The 1st pic is how it all turned out, 2nd pic is what was made to make it attach to the stock intake, 3rd pic is just how the throttle body adapter looked raw on the ta49 before cleaned up

Looks nice.
If you look at the first pic, you notice that that adapter is concentric to the compressor outlet.
While it fits on the manifold, the exhaust /up-pipe will most likely need to be adjusted.
Here is why I say that.

The stock HA and IC compressor housing have different diameters.
The concetric alignment of the larger IC housing, moves the turbo centerline.
Yes, it shout fit, but it would angle the TB in relation to the original angle, after evrything is bolted together.

To keep the alignment of the TB square to the motor centerline, the turbo centerline needs to move forward.
This of course, creates stress (pushing it fwd) on up-pipe/PS header, which crack by themselves anyway.

Now, if you angle the TB as "bolt everything in place", the face of the up-pipe connection would be angled. (Not sure how much it would be, since I never tried this upgrade)
That too creates problems and leaks.

Just wanted to share my thinking on the keyboard. :eek:
All in all, NCE WORK!

This is what my dad fabbed up for my brothers 85gn...

If you look closely at the picture, you will notice that the adapter is offset on the compressor outlet to compensate for the larger housing. :cool:

-------------------------

Oh yeah ........... ;)
Since the TA49 and TA33 have the same wheels, with the only difference being the slightly larger turbine housing, I am not sure how much benefit a TA49 will give for the work required at boost levels 20 and below.
I would LOVE to see back to back comparison testing. :cool:

Looks nice.
If you look at the first pic, you notice that that adapter is concentric to the compressor outlet.
While it fits on the manifold, the exhaust /up-pipe will most likely need to be adjusted.
Here is why I say that.

The stock HA and IC compressor housing have different diameters.
The concetric alignment of the larger IC housing, moves the turbo centerline.
Yes, it shout fit, but it would angle the TB in relation to the original angle, after evrything is bolted together.

To keep the alignment of the TB square to the motor centerline, the turbo centerline needs to move forward.
This of course, creates stress (pushing it fwd) on up-pipe/PS header, which crack by themselves anyway.

Now, if you angle the TB as "bolt everything in place", the face of the up-pipe connection would be angled. (Not sure how much it would be, since I never tried this upgrade)
That too creates problems and leaks.

Just wanted to share my thinking on the keyboard. :eek:
All in all, NCE WORK!

If you look closely at the picture, you will notice that the adapter is offset on the compressor outlet to compensate for the larger housing. :cool:

-------------------------

Oh yeah ........... ;)
Since the TA49 and TA33 have the same wheels, with the only difference being the slightly larger turbine housing, I am not sure how much benefit a TA49 will give for the work required at boost levels 20 and below.
I would LOVE to see back to back comparison testing. :cool:

I did have this on the car for a while till the turbo seal went, then the car sat for a LONGGG time, life kinda took its place for a while... (new wife taking up most of the time, along with new house, 2 babies to keep up with, side jobs etc, )
But yeah, I had to reclock the turbine housing to the compressor housing, no big deal, I believe I had to use a 86/87 actuator also, I forget why though... As for keeping the tb aligned, I have to say you would have to have or make an adapter like I did to square it up, I can't believe you could "flex" the turbo enough to make it look straight.

As for the polishing, Wacos pictures really came out good, my pics do no justice with the lighting enviorment in my basement, but man, I spent a whole week sanding ALL the aluminum under my hood down starting from 120 grit up to 600, then I found out they make a sweet little scotchbrite pad for a die grinder that works super fast for knocking down virgin cast aluminum to almost ready for polish. Then get some buffing wheels for a die grinder and some black, red and white rouge and buff, buff, buff, where a mask and glasses though, you WILL get dirty doing this. really dirty...

I also got a small bar of 100% carnuba wax, super hard stuff, looks like a bar of soap, got it off of ebay, and buff this on your parts with a clean buff, its the only way to apply it, and it puts a nice protective coat on the metal if you are afraid of clear peeling off of your hard worked metal. I was afraid of spraying any coating on because that was ALOT of work to make it look so good.

Just curious, assuming all the other parts are right, injectors, tuning, etc. what will a hot air run with the TA-49 setup?

Anybody on here modyfying them like boost231's ta49? I have the inlet & a ta49, just need someone to weld it!:wink:

Anybody on here modyfying them like boost231's ta49? I have the inlet & a ta49, just need someone to weld it!:wink:

TA-49, My Turbo Isnt that small :mad:

Wait till i get some money :D my new turbo will make my current turbo look small :eek:

low 10's anyone :eek: