Pics of my Hotair TA49

redhotrod

Turbo Happy
Well, years ago I said I would post some pics of how I did this, and I finally got around to pulling the intake off to modify it for alcohol injection, and put my carbon seal in the turbo, so now was the best time to clean everything up.
The 1st pic is how it all turned out, 2nd pic is what was made to make it attach to the stock intake, 3rd pic is just how the throttle body adapter looked raw on the ta49 before cleaned up

Attachments

• Intake setup.jpg
    Intake setup.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 859
  • Turbo Setup.jpg
    Turbo Setup.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 869
  • Turbo.jpg
    Turbo.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 857
I use to have some installed pics, but I can't find them, but as soon as I get this all put back together I will get some.
Years ago I was going to make these. Problem was trying to turn down the compressor housing to size for the o ring was tough to do, you have to take the compressor housing off to do that, although you would need to anyway to install a carbon seal anyhow, the original oil seal on an intercooled turbo (360 dynamic)will not work in a hot air application, believe me, I tried, oil will blow through within a few miles. But anyway, after the compressor housing is off, I have to square it up on a mill and turn the nipple off so it can slide in the "new" turbo adapter, its also precisionly measured to seal on the o ring in the adapter. But the cool thing about this set up, If I wanted to throw this on an intercooled car, I should still be able to clamp it on the hose.
If anyone is interested, add it up and see if it is worth it, a TA33 would be the best affordable way, it is already a bolt on and go way, or have one custom made when you order, but if you score a great deal on an intercooled turbo, figure $200 for the carbon seal, and probably $200 for all the work and material to make these parts fit.

maybe I got lucky and my TA49 and it had a carbon seal but I installed a 49 on our hotair and haven't had any issues. Its a nice turbo for a hotair for sure

Not hijacking, just sharing my pics

This is what my dad fabbed up for my brothers 85gn...

My dad decided to use two internal orings to help with sealing. Probably didnt need it, but cant be too safe.

I put this turbo on my bros car, and the only issue was clearance with the fuel rail and the adapter piece. I got the adapter piece in finally, and the turbo slipped right in.

Jerry Jr.

Every TA turbo with a cast backing plate that I have disassembled has had the 4 piece carbon seal.

Very nice fab work. I kind of miss the hot air days, everything had to be fabbed, which is part of the fun.

wow, very nice. thats one way of doing it. i went a different route myself.

My dad decided to use two internal orings to help with sealing. Probably didnt need it, but cant be too safe.

I put this turbo on my bros car, and the only issue was clearance with the fuel rail and the adapter piece. I got the adapter piece in finally, and the turbo slipped right in.

Jerry Jr.

jerry, im guess the housing had to be machined down? was the adapter piece saved so we can get more cnc'd? looks like something alot of people would like to get if they can get carbon backing plates and seals. very nice guys

Believe me, if anyone can make more of them Jery senior can. He did the mods to my C/T turbo and I'll be adding pics when I get them back from rmar. If you haven't taken a look click on the second link in my sig. Ronnie said I should be getting them back by next week end and I'm looking foward to putting the car back together so I can start testing everything.

Maybe a tough item to produce...

The tolerance in the castings for housings would probably cause an issue with trying to mass produce the adapter piece to a certain size.

My dad made this piece as one off piece for my brothers car, but the piece could be reproduced.

Biggest thing would be the machining of the housing. Dont know if all the 49 housings have enough material to take off a set amount and still be ok.

He said all he did was do a minimal cleanup cut, but some housings may cleanup with less taken off and others may have to go alot deeper.

Therefore the adapter piece would be hard to make as a standardized piece.

Jerry Jr.

I wonder if I can get a couple junk ta49 or whatever turbos and swap compressor housings with adapters out to whoever wants/"needs" this setup. But I do not know if the compressor housings are interchangeable with compressor wheels of the same style? Like, will the tolerances still be the same?

I wonder if I can get a couple junk ta49 or whatever turbos and swap compressor housings with adapters out to whoever wants/"needs" this setup. But I do not know if the compressor housings are interchangeable with compressor wheels of the same style? Like, will the tolerances still be the same?

I have several TA series turbos in stock that the "O-ring" adapter has been welded on. solves the problem of needing an adapter.

all are available if you need one.

A.j.

that's how i did mine. i think its the best way

well it was the easiest way....

except its getting hard to find the O-ring adapters.....

I have enough for probably 11 more TA series turbos, but will be out after that. if anybody has a couple they can spare or would sell, please let me know.... the more I can get the more HA upgrade units will be available.

A.j.

Jerry Jr.

Very nice work on both of these. I don’t have the patience to set up something this nicely.

Has anyone tried to hacksaw off the exit; and mig, tig, or epoxy an adapter on to the end of the charge housing? It wouldn’t be near as pretty; but would be a lot less work and would reduce the number of O-rings.