Picking up where I left off. Suggestions?

Hello Folks,

Due to some financial considerations my '87 GN has been in a 9 year slumber. Well now my 10 year old son has really taken an interest in the black car that has been sitting in the garage for practically his entire life. Since I'm in a better situation financially it has been the motivation I needed to get the car on the road again.

With that said, just before I parked the car I had purchased a Translator Pro (version 4.4) with 3 Bar MAP and LC-1 WB O2 sensor. I'm looking to install them now and was looking for any feedback anybody would like to provide. As for the current setup of the car it has 57# injectors, TE44 turbo, stock intercooler, SMC Alcohol kit (I need to replace the pump), and stock tranny and converter. And all of this is controlled by a Turbo Tweak v. 5.4 alcohol chip.

So what are some things I need to consider as I begin this new journey.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Hey I'm not to sure about what was out 10 years ago as I have only been in these cars for about 3 years now but a scanmaster and powerlogger have been the best money I have spent on my car so far unless you already have them. But other then that just basic stuff like new plugs wires (spring cleaning) stuff like that and a new set of springs and fire it up and see what she does would be what I do. But I'm no where near as good as the other people on here that I'm sure will chime in. Just make sure you Don't go leaving your drive way with the same amount of boost you were running 10 years ago start from scratch and work your way up

Unless there is something wrong with the factory MAF I would leave the translator pro off the car. Turbo Tweak chips are great. No need to complicate things. If your MAF has failed then it's a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drain the old gas and prime the oil system before trying to start.

Unless there is something wrong with the factory MAF I would leave the translator pro off the car. Turbo Tweak chips are great. No need to complicate things. If your MAF has failed then it's a different story.

Thanks for feedback everybody. As for the Translator Pro, is it that difficult to deal with? I originally got it thinking the car would breath better.

Thanks,

Ryan

Thanks for feedback everybody. As for the Translator Pro, is it that difficult to deal with? I originally got it thinking the car would breath better.

Thanks,

Ryan
I have personally never owned one so I can't comment with first hand experience. Some time ago it seemed like there were lots of questions on getting one set up correctly. At your power level I don't think your going to gain anything other than smoother idle and maybe some better throttle response.
In my opinion, if your making enough power that the MAF is the restriction it's time to go speed density and lose the MAF all together.
I really think the translators are a great tool for those that no longer have a working factory MAF.

In addition to the "Spring Cleaning" I wouldn't run the SMC system, id look into a alky control unit from "razor" and have a new TT chip burned for your combo, scanmaster is a must..id leave off the translator and other doodads for now until the car is running up to par.. then go from their, don't boost it till then..

I have personally never owned one so I can't comment with first hand experience. Some time ago it seemed like there were lots of questions on getting one set up correctly. At your power level I don't think your going to gain anything other than smoother idle and maybe some better throttle response.
In my opinion, if your making enough power that the MAF is the restriction it's time to go speed density and lose the MAF all together.
I really think the translators are a great tool for those that no longer have a working factory MAF.

It sounds as though you don't even realize that the Translator Pro is primarilly a Speed Density conversion.

It sounds as though you don't even realize that the Translator Pro is primarilly a Speed Density conversion.
No I didn't realize that's what the "pro" did vs the standard translator. Again, I personally wouldn't use one or is it needed at this power level. If really wanting speed density I would use a speed density chip from turbo tweak but again just my opinion.

No I didn't realize that's what the "pro" did vs the standard translator. Again, I personally wouldn't use one or is it needed at this power level. If really wanting speed density I would use a speed density chip from turbo tweak but again just my opinion.

Yes, I too run the TT/Bailey SD2 system, but I learned my speed density tuning on the Translator Pro.