Pic of slightly out of spec rod....

snyderjw1

See attached, the headgaskets, pistons, even bearings look really good...is this just a case of pushing the stock rods too far? I knew it was time to upgrade the parts...and I have been pushing my luck with stock crank and rods for about two years, just want to make sure I am not missing anything else...

Attachments

• bent rod.jpg
    bent rod.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 406
That's alittle bent. What kind of times were you running b/f you hurt the engine?

i have 1 exactly like this hanging on the wall i took out of my 76 TA that me and a buddy transplanted a 350 chevy motor into back in the day . i didnt really notice any major change in performance . but we were very young back then and went thru alot of engines , they were easy to come by back then . i think i know the exact moment i did this to it , as i had a car load of peoples and was whippin the poor thing to death , and i felt it , like it missed a beat . everything else was ship shape inside motor .

Whoops...Any tuning mishaps?? A local guy here with a shortblock similar to what you are describing bent one so bad it looked almost like a horseshoe (upper 20's on boost, pump gas in the tank, 10 sec. car, no good). His headgaskets blew (Cometics), but only after bending I think 4 of the rods. My guess you had some detonation and at your level it doesn't take much to do damage.

Didn't you say you hurt a HG at Norwalk?

Which hole was it?

Bent Rod

Collin, the damages ended up being this rod and a badly cracked passenger side header...combined to make those strange pecking noises

I am going to throw a crank/rods in it and try to make Columbus...I have another motor I am working on but it won't be ready till BG ...so ole "semi-reliable" will go back in....after all the pump gas runs I had made I was very happy with how the pistons/gaskets looked...this motor originally went together to run 11's and things got a bit out of hand...I was way overdue to upgrade.

Hope to see you guys next month...John

An uncontrolled combustion event causes that.

is that.........

a chinese rod?
I heard you can special order them that way.
fits on or off center! :wink: