Performance issues.

kilhef

My 87 GN is stock but has some performance issues I cannot figure out. Can anyone help me find a mechanic that unerstands these cars in the 17501 zip code. (Lancaster county Pa.) Thanks much.

What kind of issues are you having? Anything done to it to your knowledge? I live in the Harrisburg area, I know one or two people that may be able to help. I'm usually too busy to fix my own car or else I'd volunteer. I'd actually post on the MAGNA section to find someone too!

Many great mechanics on this site if you have any mechanical skills whatsoever they can help you to get started sorting it out before you need to bring to a pro if nothing else they can help you to speak intelligently with a pro. Also as the pilot the more you know the better.

Thanks much for your reply. I took my 87 GN out this morning in the nice cool air and this is how it worked. From dead stop at WOT it did fine till 4000 rpm then it goes into a missing type situation till round 4800 rpm and hesitates to shift. After going into second the same senareo. This has been happening. There are no mods as I bought the car in 1989 bone stock. I put a K&n filter and bigger exaust and thats all. It has it's original chip (not the recall chip). The only other thing 18 years ago I cut the waste gate actuator rod and threaded both ends to make it adjustable. I have continued to back off the turbo to eliminate possible dentiation and adjusted the shift cable and put a new coil pack on but no differance. It has a digital dash so not much info from that. Tried to keep it as stock as possible but maybe I should install a boost and knock guage. Any sugestions would be much appreaciated. Thanks much, Tim.

Thanks much for your reply. I took my 87 GN out this morning in the nice cool air and this is how it worked. From dead stop at WOT it did fine till 4000 rpm then it goes into a missing type situation till round 4800 rpm and hesitates to shift. After going into second the same senareo. This has been happening. There are no mods as I bought the car in 1989 bone stock. I put a K&n filter and bigger exaust and thats all. It has it's original chip (not the recall chip). The only other thing 18 years ago I cut the waste gate actuator rod and threaded both ends to make it adjustable. I have continued to back off the turbo to eliminate possible dentiation and adjusted the shift cable and put a new coil pack on but no differance. It has a digital dash so not much info from that. Tried to keep it as stock as possible but maybe I should install a boost and knock guage. Any sugestions would be much appreaciated. Thanks much, Tim.
You really should be changing that chip to a modern chip like Turbo Tweak and add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and hot wire. I will bet that your 26 year old fuel pump is taking a dump. Woefully inadequate 26 years ago. Downright dangerous for your engine now! One simple test you can do is to rap your MAF while the car is running with the end of a screwdriver or wrench and see if the car stumbles. If it does your MAF is bad. You should also get a Scanmaster so you can see what your numbers are. Also DO NOT TRUST your stock boost gauge. Very rarely do they give an accurate reading!

Sounds like it might be a fuel pump issue. Had a friends car do exactly the same thing with a bad pump.

What kind of issues are you having? Anything done to it to your knowledge? I live in the Harrisburg area, I know one or two people that may be able to help. I'm usually too busy to fix my own car or else I'd volunteer. I'd actually post on the MAGNA section to find someone too!

You really should be changing that chip to a modern chip like Turbo Tweak and add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and hot wire. I will bet that your 26 year old fuel pump is taking a dump. Woefully inadequate 26 years ago. Downright dangerous for your engine now! One simple test you can do is to rap your MAF while the car is running with the end of a screwdriver or wrench and see if the car stumbles. If it does your MAF is bad. You should also get a Scanmaster so you can see what your numbers are. Also DO NOT TRUST your stock boost gauge. Very rarely do they give an accurate reading!
Sounds like a great start. I have a casper adjustable chip I had in it but did not think it did anything. Would a direct scan work. I have one I used on my 89 TTA only because a kid programed the lap top and made it work. Would have to learn it. Can definetly change the fuel pump and hot wire it. Were is the best place to buy the parts. I also want to put a new gas tank on it. Thanx!

Sounds like a great start. I have a casper adjustable chip I had in it but did not think it did anything. Would a direct scan work. I have one I used on my 89 TTA only because a kid programed the lap top and made it work. Would have to learn it. Can definetly change the fuel pump and hot wire it. Were is the best place to buy the parts. I also want to put a new gas tank on it. Thanx!
Both the casper chip and Direct scan are old technology. I would not use either. Get a Turbo Tweak chip and a Scanmaster or Power logger. Scanmaster is easier to use and does not require a laptop. You can get both at Full Throttle Speed among other vendors on this site.

Both the casper chip and Direct scan are old technology. I would not use either. Get a Turbo Tweak chip and a Scanmaster or Power logger. Scanmaster is easier to use and does not require a laptop. You can get both at Full Throttle Speed among other vendors on this site.
x2 on tt chip and adj fpr and pump...then scanmaster, hotwire kit and so on and let the money spending and addiction begin ;)

for what it is worth i am brand new to turbo tuning and i dont think it is possible without a scanmaster
i can attest to fuel pumps being weak i replaced mine yesterday with 17k miled and night and day with new pump
i also did hotwire in my case the pump was the culpret

Thanks so much everyone. Am ordering Walpro pump and hot wire kit to start. Also need a boost and knock guages.

Scanned through this real quick, but might want to change fuel filter too. It's part of spring clean up and had a friends car breaking up at top end due to restricted fuel filter.

When I was up that way I had Jim Dunn work on my car. Fair deal and he was great.

Installed new fuel pump and now ready to inslall hot wire kit. What is the easiest and best way to run the harness.

get a scanmaster it will make life a lot easier,also a fp gauge will alow you t keep a eye on your fuel system.plugs fuel filter etc while your in tuneup mode

Installed new fuel pump and now ready to inslall hot wire kit. What is the easiest and best way to run the harness.

I like to run inside the frame rail where it goes over the axle, then follow the factory lines along the frame. A good general rule is following stuff like brake lines and factory hoses is a good bet. The factory will do their best to route the stock stuff where it's safe.

Pay close attention when you enter the engine compartment at the firewall. The linkage for the P-R-N switch, steering column, exhaust and a couple other things need to be avoided. Make sure not to route it where it can get pinched.