Performance Improvements??

jamnut

Got some questions about a T-Type I recently picked up. I've done some searches, but can't find the info that I'm looking for.

The car is an 87 T, someone put some wrench time & $ into it a long time ago, I'm guessing the build is from sometime in the late 90's.

The questions I have are.

The car has a 71mm Turbo with a 4" intake, the intake tube & everything is 4", then it necks down to 3" for the stock MAF. Will going with a 3.5" LS1 MAF & translator help a good bit with power?
The car also has a 3" DP, that goes back to a stock cat, then someone added what looks like a 2-1/4" exhaust with a stockish looking muffler from the cat back, how bad is this affecting my performance?

As I said someone put some money into this build a while back. Here is a list of what I've found so far.

70mm Accufab TB & Accufab Plenum
Billet Fuel rails w/ Braided Stainless lines, big regulator, SX external fuel pump & big billet fuel filter.
Dual Flex a lite fans
Huge Turbonetics Front mount.
Billet Roller Rockers
Turbonetics Wastegate
Turbonetics Godzilla BOV setup to recirculate ( probably going to remove all of this )
Tranny has a stall, stage right & shift kit, but it's starting to flare.
40# injectors & an unknown chip ( going with 60#ers & probably a TT chip )
It's also got forged pistons & ported heads ( Don't know who did the work )

But back to the original questions, how much better are 3.5" maf's & is the 2-1/4" exhaust choking the hell out of the car?

I cannot comment for sure on the 3.5 LS1 MAF, but I would think this would help somewhat. I would think the stock cat and exhaust are really choking you down though. You def. need more injector and a new version chip, which you are already addressing.

I agree with above on the bigger mas air, I bet your car would pick up alot if you deleted the cat. Put a test pipe with the dump flange attached in place of where the cat is now. Then you could unhook the exhaust and really make use of that big downpipe and fly! With that big turbo it's gotta be hurting having a cat on it.
Maybe someone put a cat on because of the previous owners local laws concerning emissions. Luckily my car is kept in the boon docks where the local laws don't even know what green is other than a "pretty color for a tractor":tongue:
Good luck, sounds like your on your way to low 11's with that combo!!:D

Maybe its a gutted CAT....?

I don't think it is, doesn't sound like a gutted cat when I tapped on it with a wrench. Going by the title history, the last person that the car was titled to was a County Sheriff's office in TX, so I think that the car was confiscated & probably put into service as some sort of undercover car or something like that & that's where the Cat & little bitty exhaust got installed.

The cat's coming off no matter what, the turbo had a bad seal & I'm pretty sure that the Cat is loaded with oil.

Anything that...

increases the breathing is a plus. I have the LS-1 w/the T+ and I like it a lot. Unfortunately I added it w/other mod's so I can't say whether the change was a big factor or not, in the encreased performance. but it was a big increase!:biggrin:

Moving from the stock MAF to a 3.5LS1 and Translator + would make a huge improvement in breathing and performance with the other parts you have!