PE Mode + chip questions

Sal Lubrano

I am currently using a translator ,extender extreme chip with alky. I am looking in to getting a plx wideband to monitor o2's. Once the wideband is installed a 6.1 TT chip would be next to keep the tune perfect. I understand the need for these upgrades but would like to understand where the extender chip falls short keeping the fueling correct.
Can someone correct me if I am understanding this incorrectly. As the car is idling and cruising in closed loop the blm's and int's change from 128 (base program) to meet 14.7:1 AFr. At about 20% TPS , Power enrichment mode starts. It uses BLm 15 to calculate the difference from base programing in Pe. While in PE the computer is using air temp, maf (extender extreme), rpm, load, coolant temp.
How far off can the AFR be if it is using the MAF at WOT? Without the extra MAF reading (max 255 g ) I can see how fueling becomes an issue. You basically, run out of programed fueling so you turn the fuel pressure up but the chip changes blm 15 so you basically get no where. So, the chip manufactures reset the blm to 128 in PE. Then use fuel pressure to control fueling. But this is not the case with the extender it can measure the amount of air. So, how far off could the o2's actually be?
I also see the problem with the alcohol adding fuel. The computer can not control this fueling so there is too much fuel going in to the engine. I guess the chip makers remove fuel when using alcohol but alcohol has a different stoichiometric afr than gasolines.
Can some please explain to me why I can benefit from the 6.1 and plx? Also, does the 6.1 chip need the translator since it uses the wideband?

All the 6.1 needs is the powerlogger and wideband. You need a translator to run any MAF other than stock.

Block 15 is not for WOT correction. I can't see it effecting WOT fueling.

WOT is where user tuning comes into play. The chip makers use a formula to come up with values. From there it's up to the user to add or subtract fuel. Back in the day we would use fuel pressure. Now we do it with adjustable chips and translators.

Does this answer your question?

Rick

I'm trying to figure out if the OP is a question or more of a statement? If you're asking how the TT and Extender chips can handle the WOT fueling, they both accomplish the same function, they just go about doing it differently. Me personally, I prefer the Extender/Translator setup. In the basic Translator you can adjust WOT fueling with the turn of a knob which is easilly accomplished because the Extender allows air flow measurements beyond the stock 255 value (and yes, even a stock GN can flow a good bit past the 255 barrier!). Even my stock motor with bolt on's easilly flows in the 360 range in street trim.
In the Translator GENII you no longer turn a knob, but rather push a couple buttons (same in the Translator Pro even under speed density).

I am currently using a translator ,extender extreme chip with alky. I am looking in to getting a plx wideband to monitor o2's. Once the wideband is installed a 6.1 TT chip would be next to keep the tune perfect. I understand the need for these upgrades but would like to understand where the extender chip falls short keeping the fueling correct.
Can someone correct me if I am understanding this incorrectly. As the car is idling and cruising in closed loop the blm's and int's change from 128 (base program) to meet 14.7:1 AFr. At about 20% TPS , Power enrichment mode starts. It uses BLm 15 to calculate the difference from base programing in Pe. While in PE the computer is using air temp, maf (extender extreme), rpm, load, coolant temp.
How far off can the AFR be if it is using the MAF at WOT? Without the extra MAF reading (max 255 g ) I can see how fueling becomes an issue. You basically, run out of programed fueling so you turn the fuel pressure up but the chip changes blm 15 so you basically get no where. So, the chip manufactures reset the blm to 128 in PE. Then use fuel pressure to control fueling. But this is not the case with the extender it can measure the amount of air. So, how far off could the o2's actually be?
I also see the problem with the alcohol adding fuel. The computer can not control this fueling so there is too much fuel going in to the engine. I guess the chip makers remove fuel when using alcohol but alcohol has a different stoichiometric afr than gasolines.
Can some please explain to me why I can benefit from the 6.1 and plx? Also, does the 6.1 chip need the translator since it uses the wideband?

Well, I am no tuning guru but any means of the imagination, but have used a lot of different chips. What it all comes down to is the purpose YOU want and how much time/learning/$$ you are willing to invest. . . . .. Also looks to me you are asking /trying to confirm some “chip code” questions, something I know NOTHING about! LOL

Anyway, my $0.02 . . . . . .Both the Extender/Extreme, TurboTweak 5.7, 6.1 and SD work GREAT! I have ran all of the chips listed above, and all work great!
The nice thing about the TT 6.1 and SD chips is the feature to set a target AFR in CL. You can than make the fueling corrections, take it out of CL and remove one operating variable. The SD is for those who like to tweak . . . . . This will track boost to 3 bar, and the available user available adjustments are simply amazing!

The Extender and Extreme chips are amazing as well as they keep tracking AF at different boost levels. Great if you keep screwing around like me at many different boost levels to keeping woking out "bugs". :eek: . . . . If you combine these with the translator features, you can some neat things! I only wish these had is a CL feature for target AFR. :(

. . . If you combine these with the translator features, you can some neat things! I only wish these had is a CL feature for target AFR. :(

The Translator Gen II does (as well as the Pro)

The stock code uses the rpm fuel trim tables while in PE for additional fueling beyond the 255 g/s lmit. And yes, the last learned blm cell does get used (unless the chip maker uses the aforementioned blm lock) in PE.