PCV Catch Can

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
I have a Moroso PCV Catch Can I installed back in the summer. Unbelievable how much oil I have caught from a few track passes and very little highway driving. All that oil was going into the intake and being burned. Has to be helping with engine performance.

Kinda. Keep in mind the crankcase fumes are only introduced to the intake under vacuum conditions. (and maybe throttle chops. I've never looked to see if it's ported to the front or the rear of the throttle blade). As soon as the boost gauge hits "0", the PCV no suck no more (sorta like when you feed wedding cake to a woman).

It could be said that introducing a tiny tiny bit of oil mist increases the wear resistance between rings and cylinders, and allows these engines to last for 100s of thousands of miles..... (that one just came to me. I haven't been drinking tonight, so I'll dwell on that when I'm full of sauce)

I installed one on the PCV side and on the driver side valve cover breather. I figured if I cant stop it, I will at least trap it.

I would like to see pictures of how some of you have installed these--is there a good place to hide the can?

The PCV can is mounted to the sheet metal around the AC. The breather catch can is mounted to the inner driver side fender well.

GN catch can breather.jpg GN catch can PCV.jpg

Funny that is how I am going to do mine.. looks good do u remember the part # on that can. Did it have an fitting in it or not. Thanks

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for posting the pics. How much oil do they catch, and how often do you have to drain them? It has always been a concern when I see how much oil is being sucked into the plenum/intake area.

Got both my catch cans (one for PCV system & the other for Valve Covers) mounted on a single plate which is located on passenger wheel well on a flat area near battery. I went the cheap route & used 5/8" ID heater hose for the twin valve cover lines which happens to have the same ID as -10AN lines.
Here's a link : Accurate Machine Works (AMW) http://www.accmachtech.com/catchcans.asp

Attachments

• AMW Catch Cans.jpg
    AMW Catch Cans.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 324
  • -10AN Push Lok 90deg fitting.jpg
    -10AN Push Lok 90deg fitting.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 280
  • catch can lines.jpg
    catch can lines.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 297
  • dash 10AN push fit 90.jpg
    dash 10AN push fit 90.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
There is hardly any on the driver side breather can, but even a little oil on the valve cover is too much. I just installed the one on the PCV, so I cant tell yet. Even with the in line RJC check valve, I believe some oil is getting into the intake under boost. My IC and plumbing is clean now that I installed a rebuilt turbo, so I didn't want the PCV blowing oil into my clean TB.

I collect what I think of as a "large amount" of oil when I know where it was going to go. Before I located all my vacuum lines to the intake and installed the catch can I always had oil in the vac block and or throttlebody.

Great info here. Thanks for sharing it. I will definitely do this for the PCV side. I also have the RJC check, and was surprised at the amount of oil in the dog house and lower intake.

Catch cans are usually a band aid to other problems. I do run them myself but more for a indicator. If the pcv catch is accumulating allot of oil and/or sludge, there's a problem.