Passnger Windshield Wiper

TonyTtops

The one and only
:mad: OK so I took the thing off with no problem, Painted it, I cant get it back on. It will not stay put!! What is the trick??:mad:

should be a little slidelock that locks it to the wiper gear. should have had to slide it out to remove the arm.

did you ever figure out what was wrong with your wiper arm?
i pulled the same passenger side off, moved the slide lock to get it off and now it won't stay in place when i push the slide lock closed.
it just about hangs onto the wiper gear so it doesn't completely fall off.
any help on this stupid problem a 2 year old could figure out

yep and the aftermarket only has teh drivers side. I think im going to drill/tap through the paw and arm and use a couple of SS low profile machine screws (paint em) to hold it down.
You can get a new arm but if the paw is wore out then it wont help either

Check the knurled part on the edge of the wiper pawl and the grooves in the arm itself. If they are worn off it's not gonna hold, usually it's the arm that gets ground away. You can try a shim but they don't last long or under snow and ice conditions.

Another thing is you have to make sure the wiper arm is fully seated down compressing the spring tightly before moving the locking arm in place and it has to stay down to work well.

Here's what I did, don't forget the green loctite. :eek:

# 6 screws and they have to be positioned perfectly to fit 2 and still have enough meat to hold securely, drilling and tapping isn't fun either.

Make a template off the drilled out wiper blade first then drill and tap the pawl, measure 3 times and drill once. ;)

WiperArmRepair_1.jpg

Don't know if anyone is watching this post anymore but found a product that worked for me, it is called Plast-Aid, I use it to fix my sprinkler pipes if the break.

Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.

I may not have had exactly the same problem, but had a lot of slop on the passenger side arm, I took it off and mixed up some of the product, waited until it was like putty and put it in the arm and put the arm back on and let it sit. It seems to be fine now. Don't know how long it will last.

It did not solve my original problem of blades hanging up, which seems to be caused because the plastic piece at the bottom of the windshield is not flat in a few spot, of course those spots are right where the blade comes across.

Guess I will continue to see what I can come up with. I also tried the bending of the arms to change the angle of attack, which did not work either.

I found out that the piece on the bottom of the window, where my wipers hang up, is called a reveal plate and is metal and not plastic.

G Body does have them, but they are a little pricey.

A auto window guy says I should be able to take it off and work with it to fix it, he said be carefull when removing and replacing so it does not bend in half.

That is all I have.

Plast-aid still holding.

This still works after 10 years even with ice in the winter, clean off the green Loctite before you take any pics. however. :p

did you ever figure out what was wrong with your wiper arm?
i pulled the same passenger side off, moved the slide lock to get it off and now it won't stay in place when i push the slide lock closed.
it just about hangs onto the wiper gear so it doesn't completely fall off.
any help on this stupid problem a 2 year old could figure out
Well, I'll tell you what work for me- you have to have the arm bent up (pressure on the spring) for the little lock to slide over in place.
And I know replacements are pricey, so I went junk- yarding and found that Olds, Pontiacs and Montes are the same except for being aluminum colored.
I now have a stockpile and they're cheap. You just have to make sure the little spines in the rounded end are still intact. Hope that helps.