Partial how to on Jegs dual cooling fans that WORK

turbo nasty

Turbo Dojo / MNTR
On my second set of Ramchargers/Gbody fans that the motors have burnt up in and needed another set. Couldnt swing the Spals or Flex a lites due to tight budget, so i gave these a try.

As the title states, Jegs has a set of dual fans with shroud and rubber seal, 2600 CFM that fits our radiators.

http ://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/52116/10002/-1#

Remove space after http and cut/paste link to view

Didnt have time for pics and such so heres a "basic"/not step by step rundown.....

Install......

I have a FMIC so cant speak for fitment install on SLIC.

They DO clear the Eastern FMIC piping no problem. RC fans did not.

Had the Caspers hotwire kit for the RC fans so i reused it (cant say how they will work without the HW kit) for the Jegs fans.

Did remove the radiator hold down plate for install.

They are a tight fit between the tanks like the RC and the plus is the rubber seal to protect the core and seal better.

Best fitment for me was to figure about height wise (about 2 inches down from the top to be inline with the grill opening better) where I wanted them and put the drivers side in first and then while still holding the drivers side in place, then push the pass side in.

Took 2 trys but finally got it in, trick is to keep the fans square against the tank on oneside and that will allow the other to go in better.

Once the above is accomplished then go back along the shroud/tanks and make its pushed in towards the core.

The fan shroud has 6 holes with 1/4x 20 nylock nuts tighly held in the shroud, I used transmission cooler through radiator core mounts on the 4 outside hles for mounting.

Similar to the one in the below link. That can be found at most parts stores

http ://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Universal-Electric-Fan-Oil-Transmission-Cooler-Mount-Kit/763941/10002/-1

Remove space after http and cut/paste link to view

Wiring...

Like stated earlier the Caspers HW kit for the RC gans was reused.
Simply cut off the RC connector and spliced in the Jegs fans.
Which by the way comes with nice connectors with a foot of wire to connect to.

Used the top center hole on the shroud to mount the relays to with a 1/2" long 1/4 x 20 bolt.

Back to wiring.... Used crimp on male & female spade wire connectors. Time will tell if they will work/hold up to the current, so far so good. Solder/heat shrink connections are best.

Casper harness to Jegs fans.....

Yellow to blue+ on one fan

Green to blue+ on other fan

and black- to black-on the remaining wires.

Exceptions on mine was due to the RC fans pulling so many amps as the motors were dying my factory plug had burned up and I had to put female spades on the Black w/red+ factory wire.

- Ran a dedicated ground #10 to the Battery and tied it in to the caspers connetor with a female spade connetor.

Factory harness to Caspers HW

+ Female spade on the black with Red wire, it plugs into the Black w/ red wire blade on the Caspers harness. This wire in the HW kit simply energizes the coils on the relays. No real large amps on it

Not sure if the factory harness can handle the startup/inrush/LRA current amps of these fans.
Can say that through 2 sets of RC fans my factory plug burnt up. Whether it was the fans pulling too much due to the motors dying or simply pull too many amps in general.....IDK.

I looked at my charging system volts (driving car at night) and it dropped 4-5 tenths of a volt on start up. Heck maybe the factory fan did as well...never checked.
I know the RC gans definetly pull some amps as well on start up since the lights would dim.

Results.....

With out A/C running but with a FMIC, 87' 307v8 alum/plastic tank radiator/Fbody radiator from advance (has no provision for engine oil), trans cooler in radiator in series with AUX cooler......

Car in bumper to bumper summer heat at night averaged 162-164 highest I saw was 168.

Locked horns with a built Cobra from a roll and was at WOT all the way through 2nd and about half way through third and the temp climbed to 178.

Temp stabilized to 164 within a 1/4 of a mile. They work as well if not better than the RC fans IMO.

Other tidbits and extras.....

I have yet to drive and test it during the day in traffic, will post when I do.

They have enough CFM pull to suck a plastic grocery bag against the grill from 6-8" away (with car still of course).

FWIW........Motors on Fans are made in Turkey

They sound different than the stocker or RC fans. I like the way they sound.

Disregard the typos/runons/etc through out the post. And hope this is a new alternate to use.

To the board/site owners/MODs if this is outta line due to Jegs not being a supporting vendor and its deleted I understand. My honest intentions is share a cheaper/another alternative to cooling fans with everyone.

UPDATE/Results

On one of the hottest days here 90+%humidity and in the 90's and 100 in the afternoon. Drove the car around to get full heat soak in traffic and then kicked it a few times.

Pulled in the yard (in the direct sun), front end of car out of the breeze, set the ebrake and left it in gear idling for 45 minutes.
Temp got to 184 degrees.

The temp dropped to 178 after I held the RPM at 2k for 3-4 seconds. So a good test for bumper to bumper & IMO it works well.

UPDATE.. We had a big car meet here this past week and the humidity and heat was high( 102-107 heat index). My car in mid day bumper to bumper never got over 168.

You say the RC/Gbody fans do not clear the Eastern FMIC pipes....how much interference is there?
What radiator are you running?

I'm runing an Eastern FMIC and an F-body radiator, and I'm waiting for my Gbodyparts fans to show up in the mail. It'll suck wind if they don't fit after all this waiting (3 1/2 weeks now)....
:confused:

The Ramcharger/G body parts fans sux azz IMO.....the motors will die in a DD.

As far as the pipe clearance goes on The ESP FMIC I guess they are early style and later style piping and the later style gives a little more clearance.

I cut the pipe put in a extension hose and still had to grind down the bracing on the RC/GB fans to clear.

The jegs fans fit with no mods.

No way I would run the Gbody fans again after 2 sets dying the same death even after adding the HW kit.....uhh uhh......no way!!

jegs duel fans and caspers duel fan harnes

Well i finished my install of the dual fans and adapted my caspers harness as per turbo nastys specs and started the motor ...at 167 f my fans started up and all was well,i let car idle in my garage and temp never went over 175 f..i did not go on road yet ,car has AC, BIG ALU RAD,RJC FRONT MOUNT,,my only complaint is the roar of the high rpm ,high cfm twin fans,,but this was with hood open and in a garage...I WOULD LOVE TO LOWER THE SPEED OF THESE FANS AND I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS

jegs fans

HI,after checking that fans blades where pulling instead of pushing and all was well with rotation ( box open when i received) i closed bonnet (lol) and went for a ride , there not as bad as in a brick garage and they do work for a decent price ,,,i guess if your anal enough to fab a 3 muffler system any noise will bther you ...I GUESS ITS TIME TO SELL THE CAR I WILL CRY..

Update mine are still running good and the GN1 alim radiator is also doing well. This is with 50/50 mix as well!

High 90's here, high humidity and in bumper to bumper cruising very slow MPH stop for long stretches and pull up and stop middle of the day at the Car Craft nats and the temp was 168. Now this is no AC to clarify. Im sure that would add 20 ish degrees which is about average.

Any good pix of the Jegs fan install available?

I installed the Ramcharger fans I mentioned I ordered previously and it works bettwer than stock, but on hot days (80* +) cruising down the freeway at anything over 65 the temps will steadily climb up into the 180*-190* realm.
If I'm going uphill the temps will apprach 200*

When they die, I'll likely give these Jegs fans a try.

Whenever you have a chance, I'd like to see the install photos of the Jeg's cooling fan system. Thank you.

Sorry guys I have dropped the ball on the photos. I will post em up......hopefully by this weekend.

fan.jpg

Was reading back through my thread and to update..... the electrical connectors are doing fine.