part throttle miss

matt87

guys, i've been chasing this stupid miss or hic-up for a while now, getting tired of it. this only happens at light load, not at idle or wot. it almost sounds like the car is cutting in and out. i've tried a new coil/module, checked plugs...they are fine. i'm gonna try a new maf tomorrow. the one i have now is a lt1 circa 2001. 02s are normal and int stays 128 and blms 128-138. is there anything else i can look at or try? no codes either. thanks!

I have had the same problem since i,ve owned the car new maf didn't help me new plugs injectors, no help if you find a fix please let me know and visa versa.

Thanks, Don

Does TPS voltage go up? If it drops off might be time for a new TPS sensor. Happened to me recently.

Hi,
Wow, with all your modifications, it would be amazing if you DIDN'T have a glitch somewhere. The TPS suggestion is a good one. From my experience, however, they are pretty reliable. Tip in is where a problem would occur.
Running 10s, you don't still have an active EGR system, right? Egr can cause a chuggle.Under load, you are strong on all 6,right? NO misfires, right?
If you say yes to the past few items, then I am going to have to say you have programming problems. I don't think there has ever been a hotrod which could do it all without having some small problem creating a nuisance, like yours. I guess tuning may help. Pull out the laptop, check it all out,and most important, talk to everyone else every chance you get.Good luck with your problems.

its at least 8 years old. the volts go up and down with the throttle. i'll try anyways as i can borrow my friends. i just tried a new maf and that didnt do it either.

there is no egr system. i'll try a different ecm and chip too. figured if it was a miss it would be worse at wot. keep posting ideas!

hello everyone.

i am now the new owner of Matt's baby, and i wanted to bring this post back up to the top to maybe get more input from the pros out there.

so from what i can think of the car at part throttle feels like the ignition is cutting out or it is getting too much fuel or not enough (tip in?)
the only other things i can think of are tps, crank postion sensor or cam position sensor.

what do you guys think.

thank you

Adrian

When I had a light load miss/stumble it was the cam sensor. An easy and free way to check is to start the car and then unplug the cam sensor. If the miss or stumble goes away you found your problem. On my cam sensor the interrupter ring and hold-down screw were loose. I had a TR shop reset the sensor and repair the ring.

XLR8, so when i unplug my cam sensor, should i take it out around the block or leave it in park. because when revving in park, nothing happens. it only stumbles under load.

Intercooler hoses? wouldnt that show up as a boost leak? i will check them as well.

anyone else with the same horror story and solution?

Yes, take it for a ride. If the miss is gone, see if you can barrow another cam sensor cap thats known to be good. If you try another cap and the miss/stumble is still there, go right for the crank sensor.

In all honesty I would replace the crank sensor first. That controls spark. Make sure to always use GM, AC/DELCO replacement parts. Make sure to set it up with the proper clearance.

proper clearence? would you happen to know off hand what the clearence is suppose to be. i have my haynes manual there, but when i skimmed over it i must have missed it.

Thanks

XLR8, so when i unplug my cam sensor, should i take it out around the block or leave it in park. because when revving in park, nothing happens. it only stumbles under load.

Intercooler hoses? wouldnt that show up as a boost leak? i will check them as well.

anyone else with the same horror story and solution?

Take it around the block. You may also be able to duplicate the miss just by lightly torque braking.

proper clearence? would you happen to know off hand what the clearence is suppose to be. i have my haynes manual there, but when i skimmed over it i must have missed it.

Thanks

The crank sensor needs .025" clearance :rolleyes:

Here is the easy way, I use the cardboard from a permatex package or a folded over matchbook cover to set the clearance on one of the blades. Cardboard or matchbook between the outer side of the blade and the sensor. Does that make sense?

BTW: Make sure none of the blades are bent. You don't want any of them to make contact with the sensor.

Good luck, they are a pain in the azz. ;)

thank you guys.

conviently, i am working in camp up north, very far away from the gn so all these ideas are going to have to wait about a month.

i will let you all know and no doubt post again crying if these ideas do not fix this gremlin.

Adrian

This morning on the way to work my car started running like shyt (bucking and backfired a couple times). The cam sensor was the problem.