Paranoid when taking TR out

Just got back from good guys car show in Tennessee, as soon as I got there a GN pulled in. (only one I saw there) Soon as it parked I walked over and said "how y'all doing" when I got about 15 feet from them and everyone jumped a bit as I commented on the car and that I had one. I asked what was I it since it sounded like a big block. I could tell they were uncomfortable so I gave a complement and made my way to the show. Wish I would have spent some more time but didn't want to be rude.

Had a 454 in it and sounded awesome.

Tad
87GN
Sent from Xoom

A friend of mine got car jacked for his Camaro after leaving a local hang out a fews years back. One vehicle stopped in front of him and the other in back and took his car at gunpoint. I'm always aware of what or who is around me when I'm out with the GN but not paranoid. And that local hangout yeah I still go there with the GN.

if they're going to pull a gun they can have the car and I'll even throw in $50 for gas.

If the theft has a gun on you, no car is worth getting yourself or a loved one killed over. Time to cash in the insurance at that point.

With any luck my 86 GN will be finished this weekend. I guess I'll carry my Springfield Armory XDS .45 with me when I'm in it. In case someone has a stupid idea, maybe that will change their mind!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I worry more about distracted drivers missing stop lights/signs and or getting rear ended in traffic than the car getting stolen. I'm definitely a defensive driver when in the Buick and always have an escape plan so the distracted driver will hit the next guy in line and not me. Maybe time to get a P.O. Box address for the registration on the car. That would foil the license plate picture takers.

I have thought about having a different address listed on registration and filling out paper work when getting tires or smog at shops cause of the employees noticing the TR and saying how they don't see many.

I worry about leaving the car out-of-sight when we take it somewhere. Yes, I have it insured for a pretty steep number (enough to buy an equal or nicer one if mine disappears or total loss) and have a way to disable the car from starting, but there are too many creepers & scum, and only gonna get worse.

I have only been very worried once so far. At a large carshow (that draws thosands of cars & ten of thousands of people) a small group of young (20s) shady characters were getting very "personal" with my car. Two were all but crawling thru the engine bay, one was on his phone, and two more (one being female) seemed to be the "lookouts"

My wife & I were sitting one car away BSing with our friends when I noticed this. I jumped from my chair and marched right up to them & got in their face asking WTF is sooooo interesting about my car. The loser on the phone quickly hung up, and the rest of the "gang" slowly filtered off, leaving this asshole hung out to dry (kinda funny really) He mumbled & stuttered thru a cock & bull story how his "buddy" has an '87 that needs fixing/resoration. I immediatly accused him of "casing my car for parts" He turned 10 shades of pale & got 10x more nervous than he already was. I informed him that thanks to him & his group of scum I won't be sleeping all night at my hotel room, but instead sitting there watching my car with my .45 ACP He looked quite scared, turned & walked off.

I did sleep some that night, but was up quite often to take a peek out the window (car was literally 10 feet away outside)

I have NO DOUBT these dirtballs were up to no good. Their "buddy" no doubt had an '87 & they were parts shopping. They sure weren't smooth about any of it, and I really did find humor in how the others bailed, but at the same time knew I had hopefully thwarted any attempt of ill inent on my car.

Thieves have balls, during day time they tried to steal my friend's TR in a crowded parking lot.
Lucky for him the steering colum lock saved the car. When he came out from the store the weather stripping was wrecked where the scum bags got the door open and the alarm horn cut.

My TR is just going to be for cruising and maybe occasional 1/4mile track but no more errand runs.

My registration address is the police station. Lol. Unfortunately, i live in a major metropolitan area with all walks of life,not your regular small town. My car is desireable to some with regular regals and/or chop shops. These cars can be re-vined pretty easy. I encourage all to have good insurance and think twice about getting into a shootout with the bad guys especially if you have your family with you. Its a piece of property. although we do grow attached to our cars, to live another day is my primary goal. I carry when i go out, especially in my gn but common sense should prevail,especially if you are outnumbered or with loved ones. Install a tracking device in your car. There are a few good ones out there now that are linked to your smartphone. Just my .02 cents.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

you are NOT being paranoid, its nice to have people gawk at our cars but too much info can be a bad thing, especially in the wrong ears.
yes they can grab your tag number down, and believe it guys a bail bonds man, or even internet sites offer ways of running a cars tag.
trust me i'm just as paranoid as you are maybe even more, I have lo-jack early warning system, video cameras at home alarm, steering lock
and of course enough weapons to feed a block, but what I fear more , are tow-trucks. around my house if I see a tow truck passing too slow for comfort
I will and I have jumped into my navigator, grab his license plate, company info, and number, yes they have looked at me like WTF? but that's ok
my car is still here :) trust no one.. if being paranoid keeps your buick around, then just ask all those guys who's buick were stolen. we had a guy down here go to county line race track, to watch a few cars run, went back and his turbo buick was gone. when I go out if it's not within LOS or line of sight, I don't go.

another thing to watch out for is car wash's. I have a friend who is a detective and he busted a car washing theft ring, they would tell costumers they
have to wait an hour or more, some customers actually left them the keys and went to grab a bite to eat, in the mean time they had a locksmith, with his equipment
ready to make duplicates, ( in a unmarked van of course. ) while cleaning they would look at the registration, grab your address and at night come by and remove your car. be on your toes guys a thief only has to get lucky once. we all spend hundreds , thousands on our cars, but very little on a good alarm, or anti theft device.
unless your lucky enough to own a home with a garage and even then.... I know I ranted a bit , but having one GN stolen from me, I felt as close to being raped
as a guy can get ( sorry if the analogy upset you, there is nothing like being raped. god forbid ) and then the legal trouble I got into. but it was well worth it.
that's another story, ;)

I'm not sure why anyone would show someone their gun and put yourself at a tactical disadvantage. The only time someone intentionally is going to see my gun is from the business end.

The element of Surprise is always your friend.

A guy my cousin worked with at the county jail got car jacked. Well almost. The moron tried grabbing him through the window. Big mistake. The driver was 6ft5 and 300 lbs. He held on to the guy and tried to get to the side of the road.The guy got pinned between a street light and the car. He was removed from the gene pool if you know what I mean.Illinois just passed the carry law on Friday with proper state police training. Sweet.

If the plan is to rob you and take your car it won't matter if you're friendly or not.

I err on being friendly, and over insure my vehicle in case something happens. If someone wants it that bad I'll toss em the keys.