Overboost protection

87-WE2

Back in business!!
Got to looking around on the web and found an article a guy had written about overboost protection. He used a Hobbs switch to kill the ignition if the designated boost pressure got to a certain point. The Hobbs he used was adjustable (I think they all are to some degree), and was wired in line to the ignition coil. It was not on a TR setup - it was another kind of boosted car.

Seemed like a good idea to me, except that I'm not sure I'd want a Hobbs switch carrying the load that an ignition system would require. I don't know. Anybody see any issues with this type of setup? Maybe it could be incorporated into PL or something???? Just spit-balling here.

If this needs to go to a different section, please feel free to move.

My boost controller has an over boost shutdown. Once the boost reaches a certain point it will open wastegates and boost will fall flat. Its a 40 psi eboost street

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

You can use the Hobbs switch to control a relay. So it takes the load, like a double pumper set up.

The issue I see is that once the ignition is cut the exhaust fills with fuel, the boost drops, and the Hobbs switch turns the ignition back on. Liable to remove the entire exhaust from the car...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Ok ok ok!! Didn't think about that. The site I got it from was for nissans and infiniti's anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boost controller has an over boost shutdown. Once the boost reaches a certain point it will open wastegates and boost will fall flat. Its a 40 psi eboost street

I have the Eboost2 controller and it has features that are unbelievable. I now have piece of mind in the control of the boost as well as many other features of this unit that I may never use but it's nice to know that they are there if I need them in the future.

My Autometer Elite series gauges have an output for logging and a high and low output , what you do with those outputs is up to you.....they also have led backlighting that you can set to flash for low warn and high warn, 7 color selectable.

Bryan

I have the Eboost2 controller and it has features that are unbelievable. I now have piece of mind in the control of the boost as well as many other features of this unit that I may never use but it's nice to know that they are there if I need them in the future.

I love mine. It works great. I haven't figured all the settings out yet. I did wire the bg2 to a switch in the ashtray which is pretty neat. Switches boost mid run.

I love mine. It works great. I haven't figured all the settings out yet. I did wire the bg2 to a switch in the ashtray which is pretty neat. Switches boost mid run.

Yeah I know what you mean. The EB2 has the ability to run six separate boost groups either by rpm, gear, or time. It has so many features that I'll never use them all. It has all the features and more than anybody could want or use.

I rather have some sort of mechanical blow valve if pressure passes certain point... like those found in a water heater or similar...
Everything electrical may fails. Hobs switches can fail...
Killing fuel will make you run lean, ignition kill will detonate the exhaust...

Depending on how the wastegate is setup, just have it cut power to the solenoid. I have an external so if power is cut to the solenoid, it defaults to spring pressure.