Out Of Ideas. =[ Help!!!

It may look intimidating at first but it's not that hard, really. You'll need some special tools but not that many to start with. The first thing you should do is to mark all the electrical connections so you know where they go and take some e tape and bundle the wires together so it's easier to put them back where they go. The camera is your friend and you can take pics when you remove something so you have a referance as to where it goes back on. Use baggies to keep your bolts in and make sure not to mix the bolts up.
If you can do your own brakes you can do this but it does take a little longer.

So pretty much take my time and stay organized. I feel better now. What should I buy for special tools?

You learn by doing! A haynes manual would be a good investment for you also.

One step ahead of you! Right after I bought the car I bought the manual. Only problem is it seems a little dated. I dont think they even mention my engine. Might have to buy an updated edition maybe? Not sure.

Also I noticed my car seems to run at a high temp. My gauge says it runs around 250 degrees+? I was planning on swapping the themostat what size should I get?

So pretty much take my time and stay organized. I feel better now. What should I buy for special tools?

The balancer is held on with a 1& 1/8" head bolt so you'll need a socket that big and the bolt on the left front is a torx head so you'll need a GOOD torx bit for it. Get a craftsman at the very least. I think it's a T45 and if I'm wrong someone correct me please. You can get a harmonic balancer puller from AZ or Oreilys as a rental along with the torque wrench and you get your money back after you return them.

Also I noticed my car seems to run at a high temp. My gauge says it runs around 250 degrees+? I was planning on swapping the themostat what size should I get?

Get the radiator checked out by a shop to see if it's clogged. Use a 160-180 degree thermostat to keep the temp down. While the car is together take it for a drive and then park it while it's running. Open the hood and watch the fan when you turn it off. If it spins more than 2-3 times replace the fan clutch and make sure it's a thermostatic one.

lol I was just thinking I've never once had to use a puller to get the balancer off any of my 3 v6's that I've had over the years. Each one pulled right off after the bolt was removed.

That's funny. Almost every one I've taken off I had to use the puller.

Well I found the cam I was talking about but I have to put some spaces in the link so I can post it. Take the - out of the links and then do a copy and paste.

https: - //secure.pawengineparts - .com/shoppingcart/Show - Item.cfm?itemid=70512&catid=1435

This should fit with out having to cut the guides and it's not to bad a price.:biggrin:

That looks like a possibility with the cam. I would also need to find new lifters for it as well.

Do I need to pull the gril to change the cam also?

Also this edlbrock comes with lifters: http://www.summit _ racing.com/parts/EDL-5487/

As for the thermostat I was going to buy a 160 and see how it runs then test the fan clutch.

The Edelbrock cam is the one you may have to cut the guides for. It's close and that's why I posted the other one. LilSpann is using the exact same cam in his and he put it in without a problem. As far as lifter see what PAW has to offer and check your local parts store as well. You shouldnt need to pull the grill but you will at the least pull the radiator and maybe the condensor. You'll have to check when you get into it.
Check the fan clutch first while it's running so you'll know if you have to replace it while you're in there. If it's bad you might over heat the engine after you do the mods and then you'll be starting over.

I can get a set of lifters from summit for around $36. At first I was just going to do the intake but now thast im going to have every thing apart it might be worth it to do the cam.

It's not much more work and you will benifit from the extra power. There's a few other things you can do while you have the cover off but I'll talk about them later.

I used to use a 160 in my NA because it would get hot and didn't cool off unless I got it over 40 MPH. The more power you produce the more cooling you need so a lower temp T stat is a good idea and keep a 180 for when it gets cool.

Charlief1 I am going to wait a little on the headers. I am already in almost 350 for the build so far and my daily driver's fuel pump went. I will be looking for some in fall so I will PM you first.

This sets me back a little but my parts havent come in yet. Here is some of what I will be doing:

New Smokey Yunick Intake
Cold air intake
New cam from PAW
New Hydraulic Lifters
Convulated Tubing to Re-route wires and organize
New 160 Thermostat
Possibly new Radiator or Fan Clutch or both? Ugh.

I can wait. Hopefully this gives it some muscle. After this I am going to throw on some headers and change out the rear diff gears! Thank you to everyone who has helped so far. There will be plenty of pics and questions along the way!

Since you already have the 2004r tranny you probibly have 3.08 or 3.23 gears in it right now. It's easy to check so you may not need to change the gears, you might be able to get a better convertor instead. A little cheaper in the long run. I have a fuel pump saved on evilbay for around $20 and it's not the stock design if you're interested.
As far as the intake divider I'll see if I can post some sort of pic for you so you can di it yourself. Really basic and it's just a sheet of aluminum that you cut a couple of grooves in the intake to mount it. Very easy.
When you start tearing into the car take the rad to a shop and have it checked out for sure. If you need one get it but most of the time you just need to have it cleaned unless it has some bad leaking issue.
We'll be here when you need us I hope.

Since you already have the 2004r tranny you probibly have 3.08 or 3.23 gears in it right now. It's easy to check so you may not need to change the gears, you might be able to get a better convertor instead. A little cheaper in the long run. I have a fuel pump saved on evilbay for around $20 and it's not the stock design if you're interested.
As far as the intake divider I'll see if I can post some sort of pic for you so you can di it yourself. Really basic and it's just a sheet of aluminum that you cut a couple of grooves in the intake to mount it. Very easy.
When you start tearing into the car take the rad to a shop and have it checked out for sure. If you need one get it but most of the time you just need to have it cleaned unless it has some bad leaking issue.
We'll be here when you need us I hope.

Thanks. I will let you know when I'm ready for the aluminum divider. The fuel pump is for my 96 Cavalier so if you meant one for a Regal its a different car. I will deff. have the radiator check out too.

If I was going to do a converter I would just go with a stock D5. CHEEEEAAP

Kinda what I was thinking Jesse. Should be able to pick one up in the for sale section easy enough and it will give you a higher stall for better take off.

Just wanted to update everyone on my situation. I found out I needed a new fuel pump last week for my DD. Since I go to college about a 1/2 hour away and take the highway I can not use my Regal. So over the past week or so I have been looking at many used cars and such so I am saving my money. I already bought the intake manifold for 51.00 but am waiting to do the swap until I find a new DD. Afte rI find my car I will have to take my Regal off the road because I cannot afford insurance on 2 cars when my new one is going to have to be financed.

So all in all the rebuild is going to have to wait til fall. Not sure but I might have to sell the Regal and I would consider letting it go for the right price.

Thanks For Everything, Mike