Out Of Ideas. =[ Help!!!

mikejustowns

I have finished all of the cosmetic work on my 84 Regal Limited T-Type Clone. She looks beautiful. (See pics at bottom)

Only problem is she has a tranny leak and a worn torque converter bushing. :( Right now the tranny only leaks a little and the car only hesitates when cold so I am going to try to hold off on that as it is expensive and I want to get to the fun stuff.

So for the fun stuff. I have a stock 4.1. I have not messed around with it yet. All I have done is replace the valve cover seals and put in a Dixie Horn. :cool:

I really would like to start getting some decent power out of this car but its hard with the tranny problem. I was thinking about installing a decent exhaust. Not sure if I want Cat-Back or just duel. I was thinking about cat back because to go duel i thought it would be best to get new headers and I dont wanna mess up the o2 sensor. I want something loud with that deep rumble to make kids cry.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what I should do next for my baby? Like exhaust and things to add power to the stock motor. I am looking to spend under 250 for exhaust. Not sure what way to go other than Q-Jet with the motor but for now the money is too tight. Any help will be appreciated. =]

Thanks, Mike

S6302093.jpg

S6302099.jpg

S6302098.jpg

S6302102.jpg

S6302103.jpg

S6302104.jpg

Well you're not a newbee but we've been trying to change the rules a little around here:biggrin: . There are several things you can do. See if you can find a set of the Hookers for a turbo car. You don't need the cross over or up pipe, just the headers that bolt on the heads. You can fab a new cross over and go to the cat from there. Look at some of the threads I've started and you should get a better idea. I have a thread on mods for the 4.1 intake an if you're willing to do them you'll be a much happier camper as far as top end power. Cam change is one of the best things you can do so get at least the 86-87 cam but if you check with Lilspann I found 1 for him that's a little bigger. I'll wait until the others join in so you get some other ideas.

3 inch single exhaust with a dynomax ultra flow muffler oughtta give you the sound you want:cool:

Well you're not a newbee but we've been trying to change the rules a little around here:biggrin: . There are several things you can do. See if you can find a set of the Hookers for a turbo car. You don't need the cross over or up pipe, just the headers that bolt on the heads. You can fab a new cross over and go to the cat from there. Look at some of the threads I've started and you should get a better idea. I have a thread on mods for the 4.1 intake an if you're willing to do them you'll be a much happier camper as far as top end power. Cam change is one of the best things you can do so get at least the 86-87 cam but if you check with Lilspann I found 1 for him that's a little bigger. I'll wait until the others join in so you get some other ideas.

I was thinking about a cam change but not sure how to do it. :confused: I really like your thread for the intake mod but I am thinking of going with an Offy intake. Now what about a set of no turbo hooker headers?

I was thinking about a cam change but not sure how to do it. :confused: I really like your thread for the intake mod but I am thinking of going with an Offy intake. Now what about a set of no turbo hooker headers?

Pace setter is the ones most use but if you can find a set of KB headers (yes I have a set) they flow much better (1 & 5/8") but are set up for duals and no cat. The hookers are the best if you can't find the KB ones. The reason is because you have a ball flange that acts like a reversion valve and are fairly short. this makes it much easier to do the crossover in the long run.

As far as intakes the offy is ok but once again see if you can find a KB intake or port the snot out of the 4.1 intake. About the same unless you can find a Smokey Yunick Wiend intake (sp) Not much on the bottom but it has great top end. Look at Warwagon's posts on some of his stuff for sure.

The pacesetter or hedman headers will be the cheapest "new" ones you can find. For the price they aren't too bad, but if you can find the hooker turbo headers like the others have said, or even the hooker super comp's that they used to make. I was able to have an exhaust shop fab up a true dual exhaust with no cats that connected to the headers and dumps before the rear axle. They charged $160, but I provided the mufflers. A single 2 1/2" or 3" would be fairly cheap too. I have heard the big single will drone pretty bad though.

As far as the intake, i would stick with the stock 4 barrel you have unless you choose to go really wild with the cam. If you dont have emissions checks- yank the smog pump and delete the cat to "clean" things up, drop weight, and give you a few hp.

By the way, what trans do you have?

Also, BEAUTIFUL car

Pace setter is the ones most use but if you can find a set of KB headers (yes I have a set) they flow much better (1 & 5/8") but are set up for duals and no cat. The hookers are the best if you can't find the KB ones. The reason is because you have a ball flange that acts like a reversion valve and are fairly short. this makes it much easier to do the crossover in the long run.

As far as intakes the offy is ok but once again see if you can find a KB intake or port the snot out of the 4.1 intake. About the same unless you can find a Smokey Yunick Wiend intake (sp) Not much on the bottom but it has great top end. Look at Warwagon's posts on some of his stuff for sure.

Deff. going with the Smokey Yunik intake. =] Working on getting one by tomorrow. :cool:

I dont know where to start for headers. I would like to get something cheap to start.

The pacesetter or hedman headers will be the cheapest "new" ones you can find. For the price they aren't too bad, but if you can find the hooker turbo headers like the others have said, or even the hooker super comp's that they used to make. I was able to have an exhaust shop fab up a true dual exhaust with no cats that connected to the headers and dumps before the rear axle. They charged $160, but I provided the mufflers. A single 2 1/2" or 3" would be fairly cheap too. I have heard the big single will drone pretty bad though.

As far as the intake, i would stick with the stock 4 barrel you have unless you choose to go really wild with the cam. If you dont have emissions checks- yank the smog pump and delete the cat to "clean" things up, drop weight, and give you a few hp.

By the way, what trans do you have?

Also, BEAUTIFUL car

Not sure of the proper name but I think it has a 14 bolt pan?

I am going to go with header and take the cat and smog pump out.

I would like a new cam though. Any ideas? How tough is it to do a cam swap?

Deff. going with the Smokey Yunik intake. =] Working on getting one by tomorrow. :cool:

I dont know where to start for headers. I would like to get something cheap to start.

Well I didn't want to get rid of my 3rd set of headers but I do have 1 set of Hookers with out the crossover and up pipe. I was going to mod them like the Poston HA headers and then I'd have 1 set for my car and 1 to sell. How does $130 plus shipping sound? I also have a set of valve covers off of the 84-85 GN that doesn't have the hole in the end so you get a better lookng valve cover and less leaks. I've got $45 in them so cost plus shipping for them as well. Here's some pics for you.

Not sure of the proper name but I think it has a 14 bolt pan?

I am going to go with header and take the cat and smog pump out.

I would like a new cam though. Any ideas? How tough is it to do a cam swap?

Look at the bottom of the pan and see if it had metric stamped in it (TH200). If not it should be almost square with 1 corner cut off. That's what a turbo 350 looks like.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 345
I forgot to add if you chose a cam you shouldn't go over a .448 lift max unless you take the heads off and have the valve guides cut shorter.
To change the cam you have to take the valve covers, intake, and timing cover off so it's a good time to replace the timing chain as well.

As AJ said...I dont think you will like the low end power of any single plane, especially if you have stock Regal gears and torque converter. As a matter of fact, you wont like the top end power either, without headwork and a good size cam.

As AJ said...I dont think you will like the low end power of any single plane, especially if you have stock Regal gears and torque converter. As a matter of fact, you wont like the top end power either, without headwork and a good size cam.

I reccomend the Performer Intake, or if you can find it (good Luck) the offenhauser dual port.

A.j.

Another question: Do you plan on keeping the ECM? If it was me and it was going to be a driver, I'd do headers and exhaust, GN cam or the 204-214, new valve springs, timing chain, front cover mods, baffled oil pan, clean up the stock intake, 3.08-3.42 gear, modify air cleaner to have 2 fresh air hoses routed to behind headlight area-and you should have the OD trans beings you have a factory 4.1 I'll assume. Those are my thoughts :)

Well I didn't want to get rid of my 3rd set of headers but I do have 1 set of Hookers with out the crossover and up pipe. I was going to mod them like the Poston HA headers and then I'd have 1 set for my car and 1 to sell. How does $130 plus shipping sound? I also have a set of valve covers off of the 84-85 GN that doesn't have the hole in the end so you get a better lookng valve cover and less leaks. I've got $45 in them so cost plus shipping for them as well. Here's some pics for you.

Look at the bottom of the pan and see if it had metric stamped in it (TH200). If not it should be almost square with 1 corner cut off. That's what a turbo 350 looks like.

Thanks for the info. The tranny is stamped metric. I already bought the Yunick intake. So for now I will have to live with that.

I will wait on the valve covers for now because it already has edlebrock ones on it.

I will let you know about the headers by friday also.

How bad is the low end?

It depends on 2 things. If you stick with the Q-jet you will have better low end because of the small primaries, not to mention better gas mileage. If you go with a Holly or Edelbrock they have the same size on all 4 holes so it will suck. The biggest issue is velocity of the air/fuel mixture. The higher the speed of the mix the better low end you will have. This is why the factory intakes are divided plenum. It helps on the bottom but restricts you on the top.

The other issue is the cam. If you go with to big of a cam velocity suffers so you have no bottom end but the top will be great. A cam with a lift of .420/.448 or even the Edelbrock performer will give you good overall performance and keep the air/fuel mixture at a higher velocity for better bottom end. If you use the Edelbrock cam though you need to take the heads off and cut the guides down for clearance. It's on the border of the max lift for the heads. Hope this helps.

Another question: Do you plan on keeping the ECM? If it was me and it was going to be a driver, I'd do headers and exhaust, GN cam or the 204-214, new valve springs, timing chain, front cover mods, baffled oil pan, clean up the stock intake, 3.08-3.42 gear, modify air cleaner to have 2 fresh air hoses routed to behind headlight area-and you should have the OD trans beings you have a factory 4.1 I'll assume. Those are my thoughts :)

I do plan on keeping the ECM as I have no idea how to mess with one of them or remove in with out screwing something up. I really like the idea of changing the cam but also do not know much about it.

I was looking into the fresh air intake just like you describe but I dont know where I would run the houses out. I was thinking about taking the inner 2 headlights out and buying these screens that I saw to make it look like the are still there. Then I found there was some Aircond. stuff in the way of it. I was going to pull it out but It was infront of the radiator and I couldnt get to it. How exactly would you run the lines?

And yes I do have the OD tranny. :)